Login Sign Up

Advice for a newbie

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Advice for a newbie

Postby sole » Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:17 pm

Hey all.

Im 19yr old male looking to start MMA. I live in New Zealand and am joining up at a gym which teaches BJJ and muay thai.
My question is which do you think i would be best to start in as i can only afford to study one or the other. I am interested in both equally but am unsure which would be the best base to start from. Also i am not the most flexibe person lol and do have trouble throwing high kicks. Any advice for ways to make your legs more flexible?

cheers.
sole
White Belt
White Belt

Re: Advice for a newbie

Postby DisciplineHopes » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:01 am

personally i would reccomend the MT then the BJJ simply bc BJJ is a much tougher art. the flexibility will come with stretching and time. best of luck and work hard to get anywhere.
DisciplineHopes
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby Kensei » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:17 pm

First off stretch and learn about your body. It is important to make stretching a work out itself. When I was 19 I did the splits between two benches and did bicep curls for a School film someone was doing....funny crap I tell you! Anyways the only way I got that flexible was by working at it. I am a bit more naturally flexible than some but not so much more that I dont have to work at it.

Also, I would think about taking up the BJJ. It takes about two to three years to get any good at it. In Muay Thai you could work out for a few months and get good enough at it to spar hard! Trust me, if those are your choices take the harder of the two to get good at, you will thank us all later!

Even monkeys fall out of trees!
Kensei

Postby DisciplineHopes » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:28 pm

see he has the complete opposite opinion. its all up to YOU in reality.
DisciplineHopes
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby Asa87 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:34 am

I'd get going with BJJ, like Kensei said it takes alot longer to get places in BJJ and the fundamentals will help you a tone. Not only are you learning to submit people but there is alot about controlling opponents on the ground which will help you very much.
"Simplicity is the key to brilliance" - Bruce Lee

"Imagination is more important than knowledge" - Albert Einstein
Asa87
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby DisciplineHopes » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:06 am

i was just thinking for a new guy in the scene it owuld be more complicated to jump into something along the lines of BJJ. i feel like a little discipline and experience in MT or another "easier" martial art would be helpful to develope the mind set for BJJ. just my opinion though.
DisciplineHopes
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby Moldaz » Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:10 am

I have trained in both arts, and let me tell you, there is no way I would have been ready for the submission and grappling art of Jiu Jitsu if it wasn't for the sweat I shed at the Muay Thai classes.
I'd say start with 2-3 Muay Thai classes a week for a few months, and if you can, try to start Jiu Jitsu classes whilst still training in Muay Thai.
Of all the things I have lost, I miss my mind the most.
- Mark Twain.
Moldaz
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Postby Moldaz » Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:15 am

P.S.

I was fortunate to find a brilliant club that I could pay as I went to every lesson.
What I did, was on Mondays I'd go to Muay Thai, Tuesdays and Wednesdays I'd attend Jiu Jitsu classes, and end my work and training week with Muay Thai on the Thursday and Friday.
I've trained in many styles since starting out like that, and it sure helped me in blazing my own trails in my future training.
It set a great core strength that I am grateful I had to opportunity to have.
Of all the things I have lost, I miss my mind the most.
- Mark Twain.
Moldaz
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Return to BJJ, Judo, Submission Wrestling & Wrestling