Login Sign Up

Anderson "The Spider" Silva

Talk about the fighters here.

Moderators: GrappleorWrestle, stevebags, Gurre

Re: Anderson "The Spider" Silva

Postby fightDR » Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:50 am

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/silvas ... town-14813

This is one article I found that seems quite genuine and so hard not to believe or take notice of. The fact is he may not retire, the article could be BS or the writter could have misinterpreted something Anderson said or something he heard, but it is a legitimate rumor right now and with him being so dominant at the moment hard not to comment on it.
I agree with you that he is so dominant not to mention skillful that he could dominate the division for a long time, but the fact is we don't know his mind set and his feelings on life and fighting. And if his mind and heart isn't in the sport anymore then thats it as far as being a fighter goes.

I don't want to see him retire for a long time yet, but right now I just don't know...who does except Anderson.
fightDR
Brown(3) Belt
Brown(3) Belt

Postby DiceandSlice » Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:17 pm

Thanks for the info fightDR, well at least it said he has at least 6 more fights on his contract so we know we get to see 6 more fights.
DiceandSlice
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby fightDR » Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:00 am

Well the more we see Anderson the better he seems to look so I am glad he has quite a few more fights on his contarct. It might just be that he loves it so much that he won't be able to retire, but for that to happen I really think it will either take someone beating him and him wanting redemption. Either that or a fighter that he hasn't fought that he just has to beat to either justify himself as the best fighter or someone who he just cant stand.

We will have to wait and see!!
fightDR
Brown(3) Belt
Brown(3) Belt

Postby Asa87 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:44 am

man i'm gutted, anderson silva is always so much fun to watch fighting because he's well... the best. But yea, at least 6 more fights.

Think there is ANY chance he could retire the MW and LHW champion?
Asa87
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby fightDR » Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:09 am

I do believe he could retire the MW champ for sure. I don't see him becoming LHW champ though. Not unless the UFC decide he has beaten all top MW's so instead of him making his way through the LHW division they just give him a title fight. I think a few LHW's would have size and not to mention enough skills to beat him. However it would still be hard to bet against 'The Spider'.
fightDR
Brown(3) Belt
Brown(3) Belt

Postby Asa87 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:05 am

Yea i agree, but I think there is definetly a chance he could get both belts in 6 fights.
Asa87
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby qwerty » Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:42 am

He could do it in two!!! After he slaughters Cote, he can easily dispose the winners of Griffin/Evans.
qwerty
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby DiceandSlice » Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:40 am

yeah i dont really see anyone beating silva right now but it is obvious that he is not getting much competetion in the MW division he is getting bored with it that is why he tried a fight at LHW. That could also be the reason he could get beat we have seen it before when you have a domiant champion for awhile he gets bored or doesnt think a fighter will be a challenge and either doesnt take him seriously or just doesnt train like he should for the fight and gets beat. So i guess we will just have to wait and see what happens. If he trains and is focused for the fights i am not sure who could beat him in MW maybe even in LHW.
DiceandSlice
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby qwerty » Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:03 pm

GSP going to 185 might have the shot. He has the tools, the heart - maybe the size is the only problem.
qwerty
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby DiceandSlice » Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:24 pm

That would be an interesting fight even though i don't see GSP ever moving up to 185.
DiceandSlice
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby qwerty » Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:49 am

GSP is a giant at 170lb! He is very good at cutting weight.
qwerty
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby DiceandSlice » Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:22 am

wasn't saying he couldn't go up to 185 i just don't think he ever will.
DiceandSlice
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby qwerty » Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:27 pm

Maybe he will get bored and fight someone at 185.
qwerty
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby fightDR » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:35 am

I love GSP and he is one of my fav fighters, he has very well rounded skills and good heart but at 185 I think he is prob just a bit small. He is big at 170lb but IMO to small to be a top 185lbs
fightDR
Brown(3) Belt
Brown(3) Belt

Postby Kensei » Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:31 am

Silva is due a loss! I mean the guy does NOT have a perfect record, he is 25/4. While impressive he has lost to 3 guys by decision and submission. So he can be beat! First off you need someone to go in and put him on his back. He also tends to lose when he gets cocky and thinks he has it in the bag. His first fight asside he lost to a triangle by Takase in a barn burner at 8 plus minutes. His BJJ is good but not that good and then he lost to Chonnen by Scissor heel hook in the third round after he owned Chonnen the first two rounds. Chonnen saw the cocky and went in and did something unseen before, he took out Silva with a flying scissor to heel hook that shook the current champion!

He looked bad against henderson in the first round and most of the second, then Hendo lost his gas and fell into that RNC like he was looking for a way out. Travis Lutter had him for the first round and almost took the fight if not for those elbows and Lutter also running out of steam. Cote had him for two rounds, he was out boxing him and living past the fears that most guys have against the Spider, I am sure that Silva would have turned it on if not for the blown out knee that helped him along the way. granted he looked wicked confident against Forrest, Thales and Irvin but he is going to pay for his acting the fool in a fight!

My think is that I hope Dana white is not dumb enough to let him out of the championship with out him losing it to a contender. It lets Anderson do what he wants, leave the UFC to go boxing with wash outs!
Kensei

PreviousNext

Return to Fighters