Login Sign Up

Another Stretch Question(s)

Re: Another Stretch Question(s)

Postby Asa87 » Thu May 14, 2009 5:37 am

I'm not sure about all this.. maybe the karate kid will know... a.k.a Kensei.
"Simplicity is the key to brilliance" - Bruce Lee

"Imagination is more important than knowledge" - Albert Einstein
Asa87
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby Kensei » Thu May 14, 2009 3:04 pm

LMAO, no ASA was refering to my back ground in Karate and probably my education in Sport Medicine that I have often offered up to others, even if they did not want it! :wink:

First off, not every one will be able to do the splits, or get close. It has more to do with the connective tissues than the opposition or placement of bones in the joints. Yes the Hips are ball and socket joints and "Should" be able to move out for the splits, but we are all set up differen tnad we often see people that are just "tight".

First off you are stretching "WAY TO MUCH"! Stop it. Think of it this way, when you stretch you are ripping the muscles slightly when moving into possition. Next up you are spending so much time stretching that you are missing out on other training. I always say train smart not long. Notice I did not say anything about training hard!

Second, the stretching you are doing, NEEDS TO BE DONE AFTER YOU WARM UP! Do not ever stretch deep with out a warm up...Unless the idea of a pulled groin muslce or shredding a innner thigh tendon is a appealing idea..in which case you are on the wrong boards! Look up S&M not MMA! :lol:

Try a few different ideas from this OLD timer. Take as hot a bath as you can stand, in a pair of shorts with mats around the tub. Once you are as warm as you can get, jump (carefully) out and stretch deep. When you feel you are getting cooler, jump back in. This is not something I learned in school. A few of the dancers from the Royal Winnipeg Ballet used to do this and those guys were very flexible in Karate Class, but they still hit like girls :mrgreen:

Do some balistic moves and use different equipment to get your stretching in, Leg racks are good but home made shuttles are good as well. Do not deep stretch more than three times a week, you will find the healing muscles are more pliable than those constantly attacked by stretching three times a day.

As for the back, Work flexiblility but also strength and get massage and physio, you will thank yourself later.

Even monkeys fall out of trees!
Kensei

Postby Kensei » Fri May 15, 2009 1:08 pm

stretching out lightly every day and adding a few days a week (up to three or so) is sound and a great idea, using stretching to start a work out or after to counter some stiffness is fine, but balistic stretching and DEEP stretching should be limited to a few days a week.

Saunas and Jacuzzis would be better than just a hot tub, but most of us dont have access to them....so I stick to the tub usage for the general populace. The issue with Saunas is that some dont heat up evenly and some actually are not hot enough, plus you want a "deep" heat on your body not just a nice warm sauna. Actually a Jacuzzi and or Sauna would be perfect as you can climb in and out with more room, generally. Shorts are needed only for modesty, if you dont want to wear them that is fine, but please...no pictures :wink:
As for the mats and or towells...you are wet man, dont want to ruin the floors!

This is a work out part, so yah, the heat will drain you and sap your strength. dont expect to jump on the BJJ mats and roll or hit the pads after this stretching.

I have no problem answering stuff when I have the time. Hope it helps.

Kensei

Postby Kensei » Sat May 16, 2009 7:25 am

LOL, I took Hung Gar in the 80's. The point to Deep stretching is that it IS a work out. Deep stretching with PNF and max static stretching, peppered with some dynamic stretching will be a work out!

Kensei

Postby Asa87 » Sat May 16, 2009 8:25 am

told you karate kid would have it covered...
"Simplicity is the key to brilliance" - Bruce Lee

"Imagination is more important than knowledge" - Albert Einstein
Asa87
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby Kensei » Sat May 16, 2009 8:34 pm

lol, and thank you for calling me "kid" more like Mr. Miyagi

Kensei

Postby Kensei » Sun May 17, 2009 9:29 am

"deep stretching" is a term used for many differet kinds of stretching. Max Static stretching is like the ones that you are talking about with a stretching machine. You warm up, do some limbering then after a bit of dynamic motions to get the blood going you put yourself to the limit and a bit beyond then hold it.
PNF is Proprioseptive Neromuscular Facilityation (SP, dont have time to check and glasses are at work) Basically it is partner work were you go to the limit then your partner holds you in that possition while you force against him for a ten count. after that you relax and he can push you a bit further.

Kensei

Postby Kensei » Tue May 19, 2009 4:46 am

??? Not sure if that is more for stretching or strengthening, with the kneeling part is sounds partially like a calithenic!

I am having a hard time picturing this but if you feel a stretch then you are probably doing some good. I normally say any dynamic stretch were you turn on your support foot can be a bad idea, may hurt your support knee! Be careful but dont stop doing it, just think that slow is better sometimes.

Kensei

Postby Kensei » Wed May 20, 2009 4:29 am

I know what the Ram Muay is, I was just unclear on how it worked its way into kneeling and doing this stretch, think I got it though.

sounds like a good stretch for the groin adductors. Dont forget your Ham strings as well. Besides the Groin muscles, I have found, that they are the tightest in fighters and new students...ergo the most injured!

Kensei

Postby Kensei » Fri May 22, 2009 4:51 am

I dont think I am that touchy, LOL. I often find your writing hard to follow, do you normally speak Spanish? The only reason I ask is that your grammer often is much like speaking with someone who speaks French up here in Canada. They are both fantastic romance languages but very hard to work into english thought.

For instance "Taking it to the head seems like far of head". Not to sure what you mean so I have to do a lot of interpretations. I think you mean " taking it to the head seems like it is far off" or " Taking a kick up to the head level seems like it is very difficult and far away for me right now". I dont want to come across as touchy, more like confused a bit.

Kensei

Postby DisciplineHopes » Fri May 22, 2009 6:12 am

i see where you are coming from kensei. anyways, thanks for the pointers on stretching, i learn something new everyday. dont get me wrong im not stretching hardcoree 24/7, but its good to know these things for reference due to my lack of knowledge.
DisciplineHopes
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby Kensei » Wed May 27, 2009 4:39 am

Shadow wrote:No, I don't speak another language. I find your comments to be a little one sided, you know only in the black and white. I will try to use my college level English to respond to those gray area comments more plainly for you. (Now, one spelling you may have me there, but hey I only writing a quick thread response.)

Really? black and white eh! well sometimes the answers are right or wrong, yes or no...not allot of maybes! But I do see the lighter and darker shades, but really, talking in generalities and wishy washy grey is not always the best way to debate and or give directions. As for the grammar and spelling, who is a perfect speller? Not I, and when you type fast you end up messing up the lot anyways! My question about your first language was not meant as an insult at all, I just wanted to get my head around the situation and communication with you.

I will also point out that being Canadian and speaking (writing) English a bit differently than my American cousins I have been accused of being a poor speller (which I am) often for using the proper spelling of a word over the colonial spelling! Means nothing to me really.

Now, I will admit in many debates my comments are one sided, that is the nature of a debate, or at least a good one. And it also translates well into conversations! While I will say that I read and learn as much as I can on the boards when I feel the person has a valid point, even if it is counter to my core belief on a subject. I have actually changed my mind mid debate, but continued on with my side of the debate to draw out more from the other person, thus benefiting me even more!

Anyways, I enjoy the challenge of a good debate and even more a bad debate, some times a good laugh is worthy of taking the time to draw one out! In our case I hope to pick up on your thoughts and draw your ideas out into the open. As you will see I am more than willing to share my vast experience and also my less than vast experiences in some areas.

Now back to learning how to spell…..

Aluminium……Aluminum,
Fillet…….Filet
Moustache……..Mustache
Speciality…..Specialty
Colour….color
Flavour….flavor
Honour….honor
Armour….armor
Rumour….rumor

I think I am getting it now!
:wink:

Kensei

Postby DisciplineHopes » Thu May 28, 2009 1:33 pm

there is ALWAYS a grey area, no matter what.
DisciplineHopes
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby Kensei » Fri May 29, 2009 4:18 am

I would have to say that their is OFTEN a Grey area or MORE OFTEN THAN NOT. But their are a few places were Grey does not exist. The thing is, it is the Grey area that makes a debate work. but the stances that one takes during a debat can not be in that grey area...at least that is what my philosophy prof said in university. And yes that was like 100 years ago, but I dont think things have changed much.

The point is that when one starts a dialoge with another they are obviously on opposing points if that dialoge turns to debate.....

Now back to stretching eh!

Kensei

Postby DisciplineHopes » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:41 pm

stretching it is...........
DisciplineHopes
Red Belt
Red Belt

Next

Return to Supplements, Diet, Equipment & Weight Training