Login Sign Up

B.J. Penn

Talk about the fighters here.

Moderators: GrappleorWrestle, stevebags, Gurre

Postby fightDR » Wed May 28, 2008 3:34 am

I don't understand the EGO of some of these UFC guys. I understand the will and desiree to be the best fighter in the world and that means you have to fight all the best guys.....However you first have to prove that not only are you the champ but your the best champ around. That means beating all the top guys in your weight class.

No point GSP looking at anderson, he hasn't beaten Fitch yet. Also if Alves beats hughes it will be hard to not give him a title shot.

BJ was fantastic aganst sherk but there are so mny 155 guys for him, winner of Huerta Vs Florian will be deserving of a shot at himand he has still has to solidify himself as the long time champ before he thinks about a super fight with GSP.

Anderson is the only undisputed, long time champ who should think bout superfights as he has beaten all the top guys and beaten them well. Although can Argue he still has to beat Okami as he as a DQ loss to him ( which by the way was an awesome way to lose, what a up kick lol)
Love all mma, and big UFC fan but I do miss Pride.
Big Supporter or British MMA so a shout out to Micheal Bisbing, Paul Taylor and Dan Hardy who are representing well and makeing their mark in the UFC!!!
fightDR
Brown(3) Belt
Brown(3) Belt

Postby qwerty » Wed May 28, 2008 11:45 am

IMO BJ Penn doesn't have to prove anything at 155 anymore. He solidified himself as the best 155lb! No one in the UFC at 155lbs has the ability to take down BJ Penn. Sherk might have but his dumbass decided to stand up against Penn.

You actually think Kenflo has a chance? Huerta - I don't think he will even beat Kenflo! No one in the UFC at 155lb can take down Penn at this time. Fighting Huarta or Kenflo doesn't do anything for Penn's persona as top #p# fighter. He will run over those fighters.

BJ should move to 170! I don't mind watching a third HUGHES VS PENN or a second GSP vs PENN.
qwerty
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby fightDR » Wed May 28, 2008 11:52 am

Yes penn is the number 1 WW at the moment but he has not beaten all the top guys yet. There are so many guys at 155 who are world class fighters, inside and outside the UFC. He should stay and fight them.

To say Huerta isn't a top name and a worthy title fighter is nuts, he in my opinion will beat florian and then with the run he is on he is more than worthy to get a shot at penn. Not saying he will win, but he has great stand up, good subs which will be interesting defense against Penn.
Kenny will be over matched in the stand up game, but still a good fighter at LW.
Lets not forget about guys like Maynard, Tyson Grifin and Edgar. there are loads, 155 is stacked.

BJ is not as unbeatable as you think and he hasn't dominated the division yet!!!!
Big Supporter or British MMA so a shout out to Micheal Bisbing, Paul Taylor and Dan Hardy who are representing well and makeing their mark in the UFC!!!
fightDR
Brown(3) Belt
Brown(3) Belt

Postby qwerty » Wed May 28, 2008 5:42 pm

Maynard was Penn's training partner, Griffin will not be able to take down Penn, Edgar is too small for Penn. He should be at 145.
qwerty
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby FEDORisGOD » Wed May 28, 2008 6:15 pm

I dont see anyone in the UFC touching Penn's title anytime soon. JZ and Aoki would give him all he can handle IMO.
FEDORisGOD

Postby Jewish-Spy » Wed May 28, 2008 7:23 pm

Can anyone knock out Penn? Gomi didn't...
Jewish-Spy
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby GrappleorWrestle » Wed May 28, 2008 9:19 pm

I say let BJ and Gomi go at it again. Gomi has had 16 fights since then...
Not to cross train cripples the martial arts, without it you can become a mechanic, but never an artist.
- E. Cates

Gold medals aren't really made of gold. They're made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts.
- Dan Gable
GrappleorWrestle
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby fightDR » Wed May 28, 2008 10:48 pm

Well if it takes bringing in other 155 fighters from japan or other organisations lets do it, he still has to show the world that he is the most dominant 155lb in the world.
In the UFC yes he has, but only 3 wins and 1 title defense hardly award winning domination is it. To solidify yourself you need to dominate the top 5 fighters. Then lets get gomi over for a rematch, sounds good.
fightDR
Brown(3) Belt
Brown(3) Belt

Postby qwerty » Wed May 28, 2008 11:13 pm

UFC definately needs to try and recruit other 155lbers! (Aoki, Gomi, Cavalcante, Melendez, Ishida).

UFC has some talented 155lbers and they are exciting to watch but no match for Penn. He is just way too skilled!
qwerty
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby fightDR » Thu May 29, 2008 3:36 am

I do agree his skill set is prob to much for most LW's in the UFC, he has before let himself go and now he is the MAN he has got to keep the tarining and desiree up. It's been his achilies heel in the past. Something does tell me though that he has got to fight Huerta and thats a fight I would look forward to.
although Aoki and Gomi especially would bring some fire and extra excitment to that division.

Also I am aware Maynard has trained with Penn in the past but if he gets another top win or 2 under his belt, he will have to decide whats worth more. personally I say take the fight...It's a business.
fightDR
Brown(3) Belt
Brown(3) Belt

Postby Latvian Lunatic » Thu May 29, 2008 8:12 am

I think BJ is going to runt through the LWs. But, Id like to see how Nate Diaz or Danzig handle him. Style wise it'd be entertaining.
Image ImageImage
Latvian Lunatic
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Jewish-Spy » Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:30 pm

the thing with Penn is he won't just stand and trade with Gomi. If he did he would eventually fall. He'd go for a clinch, ground, JJ and thus finish Gomi
Jewish-Spy
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby Master-Doug » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:30 pm

In my opinion Penn is the second best MMA fighter. I think only Anderson Silva is better than him even though I think Penn has a better ground game.
Master-Doug
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Postby GrappleorWrestle » Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:57 am

....I am pretty sure I would put GSP, Fedor, and a few others above Penn.

Penn is great at a few things, but I wouldn't rank him 2nd P4P in the world.
Not to cross train cripples the martial arts, without it you can become a mechanic, but never an artist.
- E. Cates

Gold medals aren't really made of gold. They're made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts.
- Dan Gable
GrappleorWrestle
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby qwerty » Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:06 am

I want to see a rematch between Penn and GSP. That last fight was too dang close and it could've gone either way - although facial appearance wise, GSP looked like he got beaten up. :)
qwerty
Black Belt
Black Belt

PreviousNext

Return to Fighters