Height 5'9 (175cm)
Weight 170lbs (77kg)
Style Jiu-Jitsu
Birth Date 12/13/1978
City Hilo
State Hawaii
Country USA

Current UFC LW Champion.
Not to cross train cripples the martial arts, without it you can become a mechanic, but never an artist.
- E. Cates

Gold medals aren't really made of gold. They're made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts.
- Dan Gable
GrappleorWrestle
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Kensei » Thu May 08, 2008 8:16 am

could you not have found a better picture of him...LMAO, he looks hung over and chubby!!LMAO

Even monkeys fall out of trees!
Kensei

Postby GrappleorWrestle » Thu May 08, 2008 8:18 am

Could not get the topics combined so I am doing this.
Last edited by GrappleorWrestle on Thu May 08, 2008 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Not to cross train cripples the martial arts, without it you can become a mechanic, but never an artist.
- E. Cates

Gold medals aren't really made of gold. They're made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts.
- Dan Gable
GrappleorWrestle
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby GrappleorWrestle » Thu May 08, 2008 8:28 am

Kensei wrote:Because Penn does not have a place to post this I will have to contest that PENN IS ON FIRE comment. He is not on fire. Since being back in the UFC he has dropped two fights, one to GSP that he could have won and one to Hughes that he could have won if he did not get hurt/gassed. And won two fights, one to Pulver...whoopty freaking doo and one to a over matched and out gunned stary eyed joe daddy...and I like Joe.

Penn is being coddled right now. Watch the fight with S.Sherk were the muscle shark takes a bite out of the prodegy! I dont see him keeping the belt at this point and after that he is in a division that is stacked with Cans and great fighters alike. i would not be shocked if he dropps the belt, faces a few little cans then goes after sherk again ...then out of the UFC to teach or something.

fightDR wrote:I do agree with his record may not be that impressive since returning, but tohe did not lose to chumps and in both those fights he was VERY much on top at some point and nearly even could and should have finished both men. His cardio let him down not his ability, not that thats any excuse as cardio is so important and big part of fighting so thats his own damn fault. Both men are phenoms in ww and he gave both a hell of a going over even in defeat.

His 2 wins over Pulver and joe daddy were very good wins where he not only won the fights but dominated them both and yes i like joe to but he was totally outclassed. He isvery deserving of his mantle as 1 of the best LWs in the world.

This fight with Sherk is massive to both men. This is the best divison in the ufc by far full of so much talent and great fighters but i do see him as number 1, right now anyway.
The only way he loses to sherk is if he gets pinned down on the mat for 5 rounds, sherk wil not be able to finish penn.
Penns BJJ is far to superior, he even has better stand up then sherk. Seans strength on penn is that he is so bloody strong and wrestling is fab. He will has to get the take down get in good position (side control would be best) and hit him with those elbows which works so well for him diaz can account for that. I dont see him winning any other way and thats not easy against an agile flexible guy like penn ask hughes for that well a not gassed penn anyway.
Close fight but got to say BJ, not that i care both fighters are worthy champs in any org.

Kensei wrote:for me it is that BJ has not got great wrestling and Sherk is so much better at wrestling. BJ is also NO WERE NEAR as strong as Sherk. Sherk is also a cardio machine and BJ....not!

Yes, BJ has way better jitsu, but I dont see eiather fighter having great stand up...granted the edge goes to BJ.

BJ could KO sherk, but I dont see that happening in this decade, I also see BJ as being able to sub sherk, but if sherk can use that conditioning and strength to stave off a arm or leg sub he has it made, and lets face it...boy has no neck to RNC or Guillotine!

I think Sherk and BJ will go to the ground after BJ softens him up standing and then Sherk takes over and GNP the shit out of Penn.

fightDR wrote:The thing that worrys me about them having the fight mostly on the ground is BJ being put on his back which will happen...no doubt there. BJ putting sherk in his guard and wrapping him there with sherk not being able to use those little arms to hit him.....stale mate.

BJ has great flexibility and is real unauthodox and unless sherk gets side control his ground game plan will be hold him down and get for decision win in 5 round shit fight. GOD I HOPE NOT. I want to see penn letting his hands go as he for once has stand up advantage.
Then when put on his back needs to try for lots of subs even if he knows he wont get it...try. I believe he can nulify the GnP of sherk and that can get him the decison from the judges. The same way Horn beat prangley a few years ago.
- E. Cates

- Dan Gable
GrappleorWrestle
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Jewish-Spy » Sat May 17, 2008 8:41 am

awesome! one of the most talented fighters in the history of MMA with a horrible cardio that I hate but I still prefer him over Shrek.
Jewish-Spy
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby GrappleorWrestle » Sat May 17, 2008 9:13 am

Oh no, not another BJ lover....=)
- E. Cates

- Dan Gable
GrappleorWrestle
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby qwerty » Sat May 17, 2008 10:54 pm

GrappleorWrestle wrote:Oh no, not another BJ lover....=)

What guy doesn't like a good BJ... of you mean, BJ Penn.
qwerty
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby fightDR » Sat May 17, 2008 10:58 pm

qwerty wrote:
GrappleorWrestle wrote:Oh no, not another BJ lover....=)

What guy doesn't like a good BJ... of you mean, BJ Penn.

LOL, I like it. Agree 1000000% also.
Love all mma, and big UFC fan but I do miss Pride.
Big Supporter or British MMA so a shout out to Micheal Bisbing, Paul Taylor and Dan Hardy who are representing well and makeing their mark in the UFC!!!
fightDR
Brown(3) Belt
Brown(3) Belt

Postby famedbauwow » Wed May 21, 2008 2:02 pm

Penn will destroy SHerk, everyone thinks sherk is just gonna muscle him around, i remember Penn being just as strong as GSP till he gasses as for sherk was completley manhandled by GSP, plus even Hughes said that he was suprised at BJ strength, Penn is a deceptley strong cat who can win the fight anywhere, Sherk will get his dose of reality, plus he wont be nearly as strong now he cant take the roids, Penn submission, 2nd rd. Sherk is a handfull for anyother lightweight, but Penn is to talented.
famedbauwow
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Postby Kensei » Wed May 21, 2008 2:16 pm

To be clearn, Penn is really strong He has a great chance of winning, But his typical down fall is when he faces good wrestlers. he tends to gas very fast in a wrestling match. Wrestlers have a great ability to hold him down and or wrestle him around and he gasses from the exertion. Sherk is not going to gas, and he is not a good wrestler...He is a great wrestler. i think Penn is in some pretty deap waters!!!!

Kensei

Postby fightDR » Wed May 21, 2008 11:24 pm

This fight with Sherk and Penn is such an interetsing fight, Sherks wrestling and cardio are probably the 2 things you need to beat penn. For me penn needs to use his stand up. He hasn't got the best in the business but with sherk being short this could be the chance for him to use them.

I have no doubt that sherk will take BJ down and when he does his bj can keep him in the guard I'm not sure how effective the elbows of sherk will be. It would be great to see a sub in this 1 but i think both men will neutralise the others subs. I dont see a stoppage in this 1 and the more i think about it the more i find it harder to pick a winner.

The possibility of penn trying for subs with sherk getting points for the take downs, both men not really landing damage on the other. The work rate of sherk could be the factor howevere especially as in the later rounds i think penn prob will gas. If not Penn throwing his legs up going for countless subs may win him a decision just like Horn did over Prangley. maybe....LOL
Big Supporter or British MMA so a shout out to Micheal Bisbing, Paul Taylor and Dan Hardy who are representing well and makeing their mark in the UFC!!!
fightDR
Brown(3) Belt
Brown(3) Belt

Postby GrappleorWrestle » Thu May 22, 2008 8:02 am

Yeah, but you and I know the scoring system for the UFC is a bit fubar. So who knows will get what? What works to Sherk's advantage are TD points. He can attempt as many TD's as he wants, but Penn really does not get that many points for defending, but if Sherk gets the TD he gets quite a few points. One of the reasons I do not like the way UFC judges score. Someone can stuff TD 4/5 times and get less points than the fighter that gets the 1 TD.
- E. Cates

- Dan Gable
GrappleorWrestle
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby fightDR » Thu May 22, 2008 8:17 am

Another thing that we will know after this fight is just how good BJ's stand up game is. He has has a few Ko's in his early career with the UFC and I have heard him many times say how good a striker he is. Time for him to use them in a fight where he will definatly have the edge on his feet.

Do you think Penn will be able to stop the take downs of sherk, I know he has good defense but i dont think he can or even if he will try that hard to.
fightDR
Brown(3) Belt
Brown(3) Belt

Postby Kensei » Thu May 22, 2008 8:25 am

Penn needs to use his subs and stand up, he will NOT be out wrestling sherk. If he can get Shirk on his back then he will win. Sherk is no slouch in stand up. He has butted heads with some great strikers and used their striking to beat them.

Kensei

Postby fightDR » Thu May 22, 2008 8:28 am

Sherk has some good boxing and he does have a good stance with his hands up high, that plus the fact has a solid chin I don't see Penn KO him for 1 sec. Penn is however a better striker and wont worry about sherks striking to much so if he can snub some takedowns and land a few shots that could get him a few rounds.
fightDR
Brown(3) Belt
Brown(3) Belt

Next

Return to Fighters