Login Sign Up

Babalu Gives Weak Explanation For Actions To NSAC

Moderators: Sub-Zero, Forum Moderators

Babalu Gives Weak Explanation For Actions To NSAC

Postby Sub-Zero » Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:24 pm

The following are quotes from Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC) Executive Director Keith Kizer from an article on TheFightNetwork.com:

“He appeared to ignore the referee’s verbal and physical commands to break the chokehold and continued to have the chokehold for an inappropriate amount of time thereafter,” Kizer said.

Kizer confronted Sobral (28-7), a former contender for the UFC light heavyweight championship, regarding his actions following the event.

“When we talked to him after the fight, he said, ‘Look, you know, we’re taught, even if you feel a guy tap, you don’t let go when the guy taps because he might be doing a Matt Lindland on you.’ Those are his words,” Kizer said. “He said, ‘Even though I felt Heath tap, I continued to hold the choke until the referee told me to stop, and then I stopped.’ I said, ‘Well, that’s not what I saw.’”

Kizer, who obtained footage of Sobral’s post-fight interview, said the matter would be addressed when the NSAC convenes in Las Vegas at 9:30 AM PST Friday. At that point, the commission could decide to withhold Sobral's bonus and pursue additional action.

Former UFC welterweight champion B.J. Penn drew criticism in June for failing to immediately release his rear-naked choke to a Jens Pulver tapout at "The Ultimate Fighter 5" Finale. However, Pulver never lost consciousness, and the two rivals embraced inside the Octagon seconds later.

“Other than the fact that they were both submission holds, I don’t see a real similarity between those two fights,” Kizer said. “This was much more egregious than that. When the referee gets involved, and when the referee is on you trying to pry off your arms and you still won’t let go, that’s a whole different level to me.”
I`m sure that as long as Fedor keeps training at the same level and with the same determination as he does now, he`ll continue to have no equals in Pride or anywhere else.

-Voronov.

It's showtime!

-Hamill
Sub-Zero
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Postby qwerty » Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:19 pm

Heath should also be saying "plz send help!"

Anyway, that second round was a beating! I cannot believe Mazagatti let it go on for that long!

Something like this is bad for the sport and more the reason those non-MMA officials to start hounding on them! Dana must be pissed off!

But honestly, I didn't think he choked him that long... LOL.
qwerty
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Gurre » Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:44 am

was this fight on the card or under-card?
Gurre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Kensei » Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:50 am

It was an under card fight, and He admitted to holding it to long. If he had been smart and said he did not realize that he was as "the heat of the moment" got to him or something he would be fine. But he pranced around saying he did it to "teach him a lesson" well here is the gist of what could happen. In the state the Atheletic commision can hold onto his money and fine him, take away his licence to fight and the company, UFC could suspend him longer, sanction his contract or fire his ass for being dangerous. Then Heath, if he wanted to, could press assault charges. If the fighter does not release when the ref says he is now not competing in a sporting event but assaulting the other person. Funny loop hole in the law in the states....and Canada were MMA and combat sports are allowed. Now, I can not recall many people using it, once in boxing but that was in Chicago years ago.

Babalu is a hot head and in a bad way right now, he needs to chill out and the ref should have done with at the boxing ref had to do, kick him in the face to get them appart. That broken nose would have taught him a bit of a lesson!

Even monkeys fall out of trees!
Kensei

Postby qwerty » Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:29 pm

Heath would be a vagina if he pressed charges!

Look at happened with Zidane head butted Materazzi. Don't talk shit if you can't back it up...
qwerty
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby ad baculam » Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:49 am

I like babalu, but what he did is just stupid. First of all, if you want to choke a guy for one second after the ref tells you to stop that is ok. there has to be some slack in the rules for lessons to be taught. but he didn't choke him for one second longer, he choked him for several seconds longe and the ref had to physically seperate them.

Second, Heath would not be a vagina if he pressed charges, he would be teaching babalu a lesson. One he obviously needs to learn. The dumbass assaults a bouncer and now this? bablau needs to learn, this is not how people act. and I don't want to hear "but he's a fighter" or "Heath should have been able to defend himself". This is a sport, not a fight.
ad baculam
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Postby Kensei » Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:14 am

ad baculam wrote:I like babalu, but what he did is just stupid. First of all, if you want to choke a guy for one second after the ref tells you to stop that is ok. there has to be some slack in the rules for lessons to be taught. but he didn't choke him for one second longer, he choked him for several seconds longe and the ref had to physically seperate them.

Second, Heath would not be a vagina if he pressed charges, he would be teaching babalu a lesson. One he obviously needs to learn. The dumbass assaults a bouncer and now this? bablau needs to learn, this is not how people act. and I don't want to hear "but he's a fighter" or "Heath should have been able to defend himself". This is a sport, not a fight.

I agree, and we are not in school here. Babalu has NO right to "teach him a lesson" that is a pitiful excuse for being a dick!

Even monkeys fall out of trees!
Kensei

Return to News