Login Sign Up

Bare-Knuckled vs. Gloved

Re: Bare-Knuckled vs. Gloved

Postby Kensei » Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:41 pm

1) Striking with an unprotected fist is hard. Not true, Unless you mean for some who have not trained to do so!

2) Extremely skilled fighters tend to break their hands in street-fights. TO much of a blanket statement. I would say that some skilled fighters may break their hands, but then again some hacks will as well!

5) A glove fist turns the punch into a push. Not true, but it does cushion the blow a bit and spread it out over the surface of the glove!

6) Bare-fists tend to fracture the bones around the eyes, the cheeks nd the jaw. As we have seen 100s of times gloved fists will as well.

9) Target areas are bigger with a gloved fist. No, contact area is bigger, the target is the same!

14) A gloved fist is always off-center, due to the padding of the glove. Only in shit gloves!

17) A person who trains in bare-knuckle boxing is training to be a hard hitter. Not true, most bare fist fighters train not to hit, then hit hard in fights but pick their targets and punches very very carefully. Every punch the top of someone’s head with a bare fist!

18) When gloved your fists will be bigger, so your hit rate may increase. ??? Really, what stats is he giving and were did he find this?

22) Your grappling techniques are severely limited when wearing gloves. Yah, and the UFC fights never end in a submission, they cant…because your grappling techniques are severely limited by wearing gloves right! WRONG…Dude watch one MMA fight and you will see he is wrong here.

23) You can't grab, hold, pull or tear if gloved. Tear what? You CAN grab, Hold and pull with gloves on. Unless you are talking about boxing gloves….come on dude, have you not seen a single MMA event?

24) A gloved fist alls you to strike anywhere you like without worrying too much about hurting your fists. MMA gloves do not protect the hands that much, a lot of fighters have broken their hands when fighting. Lyoto Machida is getting over a broken hand right now. And he has used the Makiwara to condition his hands and now wears gloves in fights!

25) Getting hit by a gloved fist feels differently than getting hit by a bare-fist. Don’t know how he came to this conclusion….but ….DUH!

27) In the street you don't punch with glove on, you punch bare-knuckled. DUH, well…unless you are some weirdo that wears MMA or boxing gloves in the streets....I would say your instructors is the king of the obvious!

29) Most gloves are designed poorly for striking. Really, so the multi million dollar industry and the gents who designed the many different kind of gloves set them up so they were poor for striking with…..Think about it…how many KO’s do you see in MMA events…they are not set up to punch poorly!

30) Gloves will hinder the way you throw your strikes in a street fight. Again, what moron is wearing his gloves in a street fight?

35) Training with gloves limits your arsenal of weapons in a fight. Maybe, but I kind of think if you are wearing gloves while training you are more into the sport part of the training over trying to train to defend yourself.

38) You can't point the knuckles of your fist towards your opponent easily with gloves on. Why not??

39) Gloved and wrapped fists will keep you from streghtening and dontinioning your hands for fist fighting. No, not using a Makiwara or striking something will keep you from conditioning your hands. Nailing a heavy bag with bag gloves on is a great way to condition and strengthen the hands. Not hitting anything is a good way to not condition your hands.

40) A straight punch is much less effective with the hand encased in an oversized padded mitten. DUH, But then again any punch is slightly less effective if encased in a glove…but they still seem to KO guys!

I think your well meaning instructor has a bias and should be thinking more about getting you guys to train period and not worry to much about gloves or no gloves…But that is just my thoughts!

Even monkeys fall out of trees!
Kensei

Postby Kensei » Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:17 pm

could not agree more! Oh, did he mean with boxing gloves or MMA gloves? Their is aworld of difference!!!

Even monkeys fall out of trees!
Kensei

Postby DisciplineHopes » Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:38 am

gloves are to prtect the hand imo, not the face. if you get hit hard enough with those gloves it still hurts like crazy and CAN cause just as much damage if landed correctly to the correct place. just my 2 cents worht though.
DisciplineHopes
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby Moldaz » Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:20 am

I'm not going to go through and read that go through that list with a fine-tooth comb, but what I will say is this - I have found, from experience, that training with boxing gloves is a good thing, as the gloves weight more and initially your arms take a while to get used to the extra weight.
However, I also train without gloves, whether is be knuckle pushups, bag work, training with a partner, hand conditioning... I also find this training beneficial.
I know for a fact I can hold my own in or out of the ring, and training with gloves and without both contribute to my ability to do so.
Of all the things I have lost, I miss my mind the most.
- Mark Twain.
Moldaz
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Return to Boxing, Kickboxing & Muay Thai