Login Sign Up

best schools in the Bay Area?

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Kung Fu Moderators

Postby 9headdragon » Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:23 am

by the way, everyone has seen kung fu hustle right? the guy with the rings teaches his traditional style in sanfrancisco.
9headdragon
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby Gurre » Fri Apr 14, 2006 2:00 am

cool! I didn't know that...
Gurre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby newape » Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:11 am

jeet kun do spawned out of Bruce Lee's knowledge of himself.

I didn't say to study kung fu in preparation for the ring but in preparation for learning a striking or grappling art. This guy wanted all these pieces of arts. That's why I reccomend a trad art, because you must have a foundation of self knowledge and how to move. THOSE are the traditional concepts. Also if you are alwayz studying the easy way you don't need to be fighting. The traditional arts teach you the hardest way possible to build strength and range of motion. Then you take this and adapt it to the situation. If you can move in low stances and whip the body viciously from side to side then you can adapt to a art w/smaller movements and maintain alot of power and even more mobility.
newape
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Postby 9headdragon » Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:10 pm

No you can't. Traditional kungfu doesn't work anymore. And the movements are often totally ineffective. Maybe a good workout but no it doesn't build the muscle needed for boxing or jiujitsu. It just doesn't work that way mate. Have you ever done muay thai or fought someone who does? Even gracie jiujitsu. Try and I bet your traditional kungfu won't stand a living chance.
9headdragon
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby newape » Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:43 pm

Like I've said, traditional kung fu teaches concepts. Yes our training is alive we do striking, kickboxing style, we do clinch and takedown work and we do submission grappling. Kung Fu is a doorway to alive training Whatever it is you study some of the movements can be traced back to traditional concepts.

I didn't say build muscle, building muscle comes from intaking more calories than you expend and putting muscle groups under enough stress that they tear and can be rebuilt.

Yes I can. if I do a kung fu style block in which sticking to my opponent and grabbing them is involved. Then yes I can take that to the ring stick to my opponent and deliver an elbow, knee, hook, or get a neck-tie. If I do a kung fu block to someone's leg and upset their root than yes I can attack the head or go for a single leg. I can adapt my large exaggerated movements to your style and then when I make smaller "easier" as you put it movements then I will be sure they are connected to the body, because I have trained under harder conditions. Therefore using the muscle groups of the core which is about 30 muscles instead of my tricep or deltoid which are considerably less. I know most disciplines teach use of the body, traditional systems however are a good foundation, a building block on which to stack a good striking and ground game. Definitely not and end all but what art or system is?
newape
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Postby 9headdragon » Fri Apr 14, 2006 3:16 pm

wow... obviously you have never been in a street fight/fight with a thai boxer/any real fight.
9headdragon
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby newape » Fri Apr 14, 2006 4:33 pm

how iz that obvious to you? I'm curious
newape
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Postby Gurre » Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:22 am

by how you speak of Kung Fu as something actually useful for something else than motor skills.
Gurre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby 9headdragon » Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:48 pm

And how you picture what a fight would be like. you don't exchange techniques in turns dude, and often, complicated techniques are much much easier to counter.
9headdragon
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby Gurre » Sat Apr 15, 2006 6:48 pm

turnbased street fighting.... that would look rather cool.
Gurre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby 9headdragon » Sat Apr 15, 2006 9:14 pm

punch. block. eyegouge. counter kick. kick. kick. kick. kick. punch. kick. shoulder roll. kick. kickup. kick. special. uppercut. jump kick.
9headdragon
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby Gurre » Sun Apr 16, 2006 2:39 am

forward, forward, back, up, kick, FATALITY!!!
Gurre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby newape » Sun Apr 16, 2006 10:47 am

oh yeah, I see now. You are absolutely right. You sure called me out. I've never fought in my life. And I am defending an art with no use. I sure need to get my act together. Thank you for setting me straight. If you're ever in San Diego I'd love to get together and learn something.
newape
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Postby 9headdragon » Sun Apr 16, 2006 12:13 pm

I can't tell if you are being sarcastic dude... And now I feel bad like I just broke someone's heart
9headdragon
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby Gurre » Mon Apr 17, 2006 12:31 am

you kno what newape, that sort of challenge belongs in other forums than this one. If you can't discuss intelligently without calling people out then go discuss in some other subpart of this forum or don't come here at all. Honestly it just messe things up when people take stuff too seriously on the internet. At the end of the day we're just here to have fun.
Gurre
Site Admin
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Tae Kwon Do & Kung Fu