Login Sign Up

BJJ question

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Re: BJJ question

Postby DisciplineHopes » Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:30 am

Kensei wrote:
Gurre wrote:you previously said that you don't train to get a belt. So why are you frustrated? If you don't want to compete, it'll be alot harder to get a belt that you don't want. Maybe you would be less frustrated if you had a clear goal, maybe you're more frustrated with yourself than your instructor...

you are right, I think I am making more of this than I should be. But it is one of those things that is ingrained in me from my other traditional training. I am going to chat with the instructor tonight after class and see what he thinks. Their are other issues I am getting from the class, more feelings than anything. But you are 100% right, why am I so upset over a belt I am not really worried about getting? A bit of self examination as well perhaps :lol:

truth be told this is probably the case 9 x's out of 10.
DisciplineHopes
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby Kensei » Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:27 pm

which? my needing the self exam or the BJJ club based on tournaments.

Even monkeys fall out of trees!
Kensei

Postby Kensei » Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:44 pm

LOL, I understand. Actually I always thought that black belts should know how to fight as well...or at least be able to defend themselves using the basic knowledge that they know. I also have seen some very very sad black belts. Gals and guys that tested and could not kick above their own waist! And some other crap. The worst part that I hate is the ego that some get.

Oh, I am going to chat with the instructor Saturday after class, tonight we did not have much time. We went threw some basic stuff and I did okay. I got tapped out by a younger purple belt who is real slick, but I tapped out three blue belts with leg subs, and one guy with a RNC..but they all got me back as well. Oh, and I finally had a arm triangle shown to me...at least I think that is what it was, I kind of blacked out a bit during it......Yah, its hard to tap when the blood is out of yer head before you realize what is happening!

Kensei

Postby Gurre » Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:37 am

the solid red belt is the highest belt in BJJ. But, and this is a big BUT, only Helio and his brothers (the creators of BJJ) can ever hold one. Helio died earlier this year meaning that there is only one red belt left (I think, not too sure though).

Another but, 9th degree blackbelt can have a RED AND WHITE belt, but not solid red.
Gurre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Kensei » Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:39 am

I think I need to buy some knee pads! Last night I found my knees were getting torn up alot. I had a good roll and after, with lots of Tylonal for the pain I sat down with the instructor, he pushed me to train for a tournament. I told him I was not interested and he was kind of ticked off. He said that is how His/ our school gets our name out their. I told him I was not interested and asked him about ranking again and what I should work on....he got up and actually left! I guess he told me what I should work on eh!

Anyways, I am still having fun with the class, and made some good friends. Just think this might not be the right school for me. I havea line on a few other clubs and some other training ideas. Some of the other guys have told me to stick it out, but truethfully the instructor, who is a lot younger that I am, is giving me the idea like it is time to go!

Anyways I had a good time last night, the sore knees and back tell me how good a time I had!

Kensei

Postby Asa87 » Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:53 am

sounds a bit shit that your instructor is pushing you to compete!? Bullshit. I had my 3rd lesson tonight of BJJ, It went real good, we were basically training using "the shrimp" to get from side back to full gaurd and sweep. Then we just did an hour of free rolling.
"Simplicity is the key to brilliance" - Bruce Lee

"Imagination is more important than knowledge" - Albert Einstein
Asa87
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby DisciplineHopes » Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:41 am

Kensei wrote:which? my needing the self exam or the BJJ club based on tournaments.

needing the self exam.
DisciplineHopes
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby Kensei » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:29 am

DisciplineHopes wrote:
needing the self exam.

That is an ongoing thing I fear :wink:

Kensei

Postby Gurre » Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:24 pm

Kensei wrote:I think I need to buy some knee pads! Last night I found my knees were getting torn up alot. I had a good roll and after, with lots of Tylonal for the pain I sat down with the instructor, he pushed me to train for a tournament. I told him I was not interested and he was kind of ticked off. He said that is how His/ our school gets our name out their. I told him I was not interested and asked him about ranking again and what I should work on....he got up and actually left! I guess he told me what I should work on eh!

Anyways, I am still having fun with the class, and made some good friends. Just think this might not be the right school for me. I havea line on a few other clubs and some other training ideas. Some of the other guys have told me to stick it out, but truethfully the instructor, who is a lot younger that I am, is giving me the idea like it is time to go!

Anyways I had a good time last night, the sore knees and back tell me how good a time I had!

if your coach has a bad attitude towards not wanting to compete you really should change academies. I feel that nobody should be pressured to compete, it's a very personal decision. If he just got up and left, you should leave too. That stuff is so childish!
Gurre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby qwerty » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:39 pm

Kensei kicks ass at his academy! I think he should just do what his instructor tells him to do and have the instructor use Kensei so his academy can be legit.
qwerty
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Asa87 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:33 am

hey Kens, My knees are sore today aswell! Just so ya know.. it ain't just your old knees!
"Simplicity is the key to brilliance" - Bruce Lee

"Imagination is more important than knowledge" - Albert Einstein
Asa87
Red Belt
Red Belt

Previous

Return to BJJ, Judo, Submission Wrestling & Wrestling