Login Sign Up

Brandon Vera

Talk about the fighters here.

Moderators: GrappleorWrestle, stevebags, Gurre

Postby Jewish-Spy » Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:25 pm

Even though Machida is way more skilled than Chuck you gotta give Chuck a thumb up for not dodging anyone. I wonder if he would want to fight Ramapge again ha ha...
Jewish-Spy
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby Kensei » Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:11 am

Brandons move to LHW is one of the best moves for him. He simply wants to get a foot in the door at this weight level before moving in to deep waters in teh division. I dont think he wants to battle guys like Mach or the like and end his dip in the LHW pool so quickly.

Even monkeys fall out of trees!
Kensei

Postby fightDR » Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:02 pm

Vera needs a Win, first and foremost. Doesn't matter who it's against but fighting Machida, Chuck Or Wandi this early into his LHW career would be too much to soon IMO.
Love all mma, and big UFC fan but I do miss Pride.
Big Supporter or British MMA so a shout out to Micheal Bisbing, Paul Taylor and Dan Hardy who are representing well and makeing their mark in the UFC!!!
fightDR
Brown(3) Belt
Brown(3) Belt

Postby qwerty » Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:19 pm

Vera looks very thin at 205!!!! Hopefully he didn't dehydrate himself too much.
qwerty
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Kensei » Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:55 am

He looks good at 205, I thought he looked a bit chubby at HW. Kind of like a few other HWs that I think should drop down a bit. he is athletic and looks HUGE compaired to the guy he is facing. This will be a good fight.

Kensei

Postby qwerty » Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:28 pm

He needs to learn how to cut weight, definately not his best performance and a sloppy win at his debut 205.
qwerty
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Kensei » Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:39 am

could not agree more, even though he looked physically better, he had no energy.

For those that are real picky, by Physically better I mean leaner and healthier. At HW he looked chunky.

Kensei

Postby GrappleorWrestle » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:51 am

I am sorry, but the way the LHW division is stacked I do not see Vera doing very well. Seriously with all the high B - A fighters he is going to have a hard time.

Good thing he dropped down to LHW or he would have had to face the new beast of the division Cain Velasquez.
Not to cross train cripples the martial arts, without it you can become a mechanic, but never an artist.
- E. Cates

Gold medals aren't really made of gold. They're made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts.
- Dan Gable
GrappleorWrestle
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Kensei » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:46 am

GrappleorWrestle wrote:I am sorry, but the way the LHW division is stacked I do not see Vera doing very well. Seriously with all the high B - A fighters he is going to have a hard time.

Good thing he dropped down to LHW or he would have had to face the new beast of the division Cain Velasquez.

I have to agree with the LHW division being fairly stacked, especially next to the HW division. And if his performance Saturday is anything like we can expect...he needs to do some thinking.

I need to see more of Cain to make up my mind on him. He is good, but how good. A few more fights against good fighters and I will have a feel for him. Right now I have a bit of a question mark about him...but just a bit.

Kensei

Postby qwerty » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:50 am

Well I give Vera some credit. It was his first time fighting at 205lb. He had to cut weigh which is something he probably hasn't done in a long time, and he had to WIN at 205. That's a lot of pressure and it was a short notice of a fight. It was smart of him to turn down a fight against Machida otherwise he would've been fighting somewhere else after that. Looking at Swick dropping to 170 from 185 had the same lackluster performance.

I believe Vera will look a lot better at his next 205 match -- I guess depending who he fights next. Vera still have that KO power on his hands and feet, good wrestling, and good BJJ skills. Let him fight a standup guy at his next match and he will use the kicks more.
qwerty
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Kensei » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:53 am

He looked like a beast, but did not deliver due to the empty gas tank. i think you are right...maybe next time. But I dont see him doing well if this turns out to be him at LHW.

Kensei

Postby fightDR » Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:27 pm

Vera to me has lost that spark he first had when he came to the UFC. Even at LHW he didn't seem to be hungry and really wanting to show what he has...quite frankly I am running out of patience with him. He talks a great fight but right now just not delivering it. I want to see him face a top level fighter and see him get the shit beat out of him.he does not seem to have the heart I first thought he had.
Love all mma, and big UFC fan but I do miss Pride.
Big Supporter or British MMA so a shout out to Micheal Bisbing, Paul Taylor and Dan Hardy who are representing well and makeing their mark in the UFC!!!
fightDR
Brown(3) Belt
Brown(3) Belt

Postby qwerty » Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:28 pm

Vera is fighting Jardin next!
qwerty
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby GrappleorWrestle » Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:51 pm

And he more than likely may lose.
Not to cross train cripples the martial arts, without it you can become a mechanic, but never an artist.
- E. Cates

Gold medals aren't really made of gold. They're made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts.
- Dan Gable
GrappleorWrestle
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Tchernobog » Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:16 am

And he more than likely will lose.

Fixed. :wink:

Ha, the UFC is throwing Vera to the wolves.
Tchernobog
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PreviousNext

Return to Fighters