Login Sign Up

Chinese Judo Version

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Re: Chinese Judo Version

Postby Kensei » Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:22 pm

Hey Shadow,
Okay Shuai Jiao is not my specialty but I did do some Kung fu...to bad the instructor and his club was just a few steps up from a McDojo! any ways it appears that Shuai Jiao has more in common with combat Sambo than it does Japanese Juijitsu!
Question two about what is the equivenlent to Japanese Judo in China...nothing, but if I had to guess a close compairason then I would go with Lei Tai! But Judo as we know has a unique creation point based on many styles of Jujitsu, which were developed mostly in Japan alone...Unlike the "running knowlegde" of the creation of Japanese arts, they dont all have Strong roots in China.

Your last question is more an area I can commont on. Judo is not just ground work or ground based. They have Newaza or ground work that they use but BJJ is much more about how to fight on the ground and Sambo much more into subs.

Despite and argument I accidentally had with a senior Judo guy in the US, I still think that some Judo clubs focus more on different areas. Some are great at self defense, others at olympic style sport judo (throws and hold downs only) and others work more Ne-waza than others. the fact remains that in general, Judo is more of a throwing art than a submission art. Not saying they dont have subs, but they dont focus on them.

Even monkeys fall out of trees!
Kensei

Postby qwerty » Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:17 pm

I though Shuai Jiao was Chinese wrestling - yes, Chinese, the inventor of wrestling not the Greeks and while we are on the subject, Marco Polo also discovered noodles from the Chinese - so it got me wondering, what did Italians eat before spagetti? I'm just messing... bored at work.
qwerty
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Kensei » Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:42 pm

the oldest record of Shuai Jiao or its earlier form Jiao di was recorded in 2697 BC the greeks folled suit in 1100 BC but they were not relaated in any way. The creation of Greeco Roman Wrestling came from older forms of wrestling in the middle east and no record exists of them being related.

And yes, the Italians stole the noodle from the Chinese, but they put Tomato and Meat sauce on it first, so much like the Japanese they took a great Idea and made it better!!

Kensei

Postby Kensei » Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:14 am

Ne waza is Japanese for ground fighting techniques. and no Judo is more like throws and some ground control. They do subs but the style has changed to a who can throw who kind of sport. BJJ is more about subs.

The pic on my avitar is Tanaka Sensei doing a demonstration. he is one of the most successfull JKA fighters ever. I trained with him at camps for three years and was very impressed with his form and technique. and yes "even monkeys fall out of trees" is kind of my montra, it means that even experts get it wrong on occassion! Never think you know it all, because even the best screw up!

its like when we talk about Fedor being unbeatable, no one is unbeatable...it is improbable that they will be beat but that does not mean they wont!

Kensei

Postby Kensei » Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:56 pm

the japan karate association, the organization that spawned Machida! Hard core traditional Karate and fighting.

Kensei

Postby Kensei » Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:01 pm

Shadow wrote: I love when it's effective and cool looking, does it have a name? Along with being an 8th degree, I asume he's held a few titles as well? Is he famous within the Karate circle?

I think he did a Gyaku Zuki (reverse punch) while lunging in, the contact was perfect, he did not have to hit him hard and the guy went out and down. Point fighting is a good step into free fighting, but I am torn as to if it is really going to help in a contact sport kind of setting, it is a good start, but what has to come next I am still formulating in my head.

Tanaka sensei is very famous in Karate circles, Traditional Karate circles. I have trained with him in the past and he is scary even at an advanced age. He led a JKA group to gold in fighting twice and before that placed first in the worlds three years in a row. These are the worlds with all of the traditional Karate best!

Kensei

Postby Kensei » Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:54 pm

To me the true masters are more interesting...more so than just fighters. Tanaka did voice over work for Animi for years and I never knew that, He was also a NO Actor! And he had fast feet!!

Kensei

Postby Kensei » Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:04 pm

I am not into Anime, actually I know zero about it! But I Know that Tanaka did some voice work for the cartoons.

NO is a Japanese acting style like traditional Japanese Opera!

Kensei

Return to BJJ, Judo, Submission Wrestling & Wrestling