Login Sign Up

Choking out

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Choking out

Postby wow3dset » Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:02 am

I've been grappling sort of on and off for a while now, nothing formally though mainly just picking it up from different places (we did it at my old martial arts school several times, did it at the school I went to before that as well, and mainly just with friends).

Lately my friends and I started grappling again and I was letting them try to choke me out with a triangle from mount and after about 30 seconds I didn't pass out or anything. I felt the pressure in my head from all the blood(this is how a proper choke is supposed to feel right?) and they were telling me that I was turning red, but no unconciousness.

Now, from what I understand, a tight triangle choke should knock out the person in a couple seconds 4-10. What do you guys think was going wrong with the triangle? Were they just not putting enough pressure?

Any ideas would be appreciated. I know pictures would help, or seeing it yourself but I don't really have any atm.
wow3dset
White Belt
White Belt

Postby Asa87 » Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:44 am

it's alot about angle aswell, there could have beenalot of space left behind your head. theres loads of things they might have been doing wrong.. hard for me to tell!
"Simplicity is the key to brilliance" - Bruce Lee

"Imagination is more important than knowledge" - Albert Einstein
Asa87
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby Kensei » Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:42 am

we would have to see the choke to evaluate!

Even monkeys fall out of trees!
Kensei

Postby wow3dset » Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:28 pm

Thanks for the replies. I'll try to get a picture this coming sunday when we go at it again.
wow3dset
White Belt
White Belt

Postby Kuark » Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:58 pm

make sure they are arching, alot of times you can force someone to tap because they think they will go out but if you dont arch they arent going out unless its super tight
Kuark
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Postby Gurre » Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:41 am

actually it sounds like they lack somewhat in technique. The triangle choke is as it's most effective when applied from the guard. As someone pointed out, it's about angle as well. You get more mobility from the guard. But it's all in the technique and geting the triangle real small and tight.
Gurre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby mma fubar » Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:40 am

yeah prbly just not tight enough but the sleeper hold is the best to knock someone out take a deep breath too if your the one being knocked out because then you wont be like struggling for air and if you panic then its harder to go to sleep but if you take the breath your much more relaxed
American Fighter Muay Thai, BJJ, MMA
mma fubar
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Postby Minatour » Sat Oct 27, 2007 12:26 pm

They were obviously just terrible at the triangle
Minatour
Green Belt
Green Belt

Return to BJJ, Judo, Submission Wrestling & Wrestling