Login Sign Up

Evening all,

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Evening all,

Postby YaBouRover » Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:54 pm

Evening all, im new to the site and am just after abit of advice, been a keen mma fan for a few years now, and am thinking about getting into it. Im 19 years old about 5 ft 11 and well i would say severely overweight. About 19/20 stone i think off the top of my head. Im not bothered if i never ever got round to having an actual competitive mma fight if i decide to get into it that is. What i really want to benefit from is getting fit through the training and loosing weight, i know some weight be an advantage but this much would no doubt hinder me.

Also i would most look forward to the training its self, learning new things, bearing in mind i am not skilled in any form of martial art, is it too late for me to even bother looking into this? As i know alot of people tend to learn these skills from a young age.

Basically im just after anyone's advice (people who know about this former fighters or instructors who know what they are talking about).

Thanks in advance.
YaBouRover
White Belt
White Belt

Re: Evening all,

Postby DisciplineHopes » Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:59 am

man its NEVER too late. and if yo uare only 19 you have a long road ahead of you. im 23 and just starting. im 6'0", about 180 or so. not quite like you, and no offense, but that should make it all the much easier for you to drop some weight. therer are so many people now days into mma that thye start in the 30's and some 40's. like you said if you dont necessarliy plan on actually stepping in the cage you have NOTHING to lose. best of luck.
DisciplineHopes
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby YaBouRover » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:18 am

Thanks for the reply, basically the main thing i was worried about if finding a gym near me and them saying "your too big, come back once you've dropped a few pound"

Obviously one day i wouldn't mind stepping into the cage, but not without the proper preparation and training, first and foremost i think its something i would enjoy, that type of exercise to make me lose weight, once im at a reasonable weight then i would want to actually compete.
YaBouRover
White Belt
White Belt

Postby DisciplineHopes » Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:32 pm

imo, NO gym should EVER say ANYTHING like that. isnt that what they are for? i see where u are coming from but to me i think yo uhave plenty of time. just keep your head straight and youll have alot of fun nad learn alot at the same time.
DisciplineHopes
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby Kensei » Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:19 pm

just do it man. start training and find something you love to do!

Even monkeys fall out of trees!
Kensei

Return to Off Topic