Login Sign Up

Frustrated with bjj

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Frustrated with bjj

Postby Doylerules » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:04 pm

just finished doing a month of it i plan on doing it during off season for wrestling. So far i am very frustrated with getting submissions i am actualy decent at getting dominant postions like back and side control but i can never pull anything off of it. My general knowledge for side control subs is nothing and back only a rnc but my opponent always slips out of it.

I feel very overwelmed with all the different subs and set ups. The only people i manige to sub are guys my age or younger that have no experience in grappling but i think thats mostly due to my wrestling. Any advice on what to do?

I am dead sure somones gonna say practice one sub from each postion alot but the only problem i have with that is that i want to do it at home but i have no one to do it with. Is there drills you can do by your self for subs?
highschool Wrestling,boxing and some BJJ
Doylerules
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Postby GrappleorWrestle » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:55 pm

You said it yourself. Practice. Seriously, get a friend, brother, sister, your dad, your mom even and have them let you slowly practice the submissions. Don't try to hurt them or they will probably never let you practice on them again.

While you are practicing your subs remember P.I.T.S.

Position
Isolation
Technique
Submission
Not to cross train cripples the martial arts, without it you can become a mechanic, but never an artist.
- E. Cates

Gold medals aren't really made of gold. They're made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts.
- Dan Gable
GrappleorWrestle
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Kensei » Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:21 am

you cant roll by yourself....well not well! if you can, but a ground dummy and practice with it...basically it is a real life sized doll. Or a throw dummy, kind of the same thing but a punching bag with a head area.

I can tell you from a Judo point of view that you normally only have one or two techniques that you are great at in any one situation. Train that one move and a back up like crazy. Why not turn the RNC into a neck crank?

Even monkeys fall out of trees!
Kensei

Postby Gurre » Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:35 pm

well subs isn't what BJJ is all about. "Position over submission" is the golden motto. If you have control you will get very easy submissions. Besides, it took me about 6 months to start going for subs in a good way at all. Be patient, talk to your coach and keep training. No one becomes a phenom in a month!
Gurre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby bryan_hel » Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:34 pm

yeah man keep on keeping on you gotta make it thourgh the rain if you want to see the rainbow
bryan_hel
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby mma fubar » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:09 pm

also one thing that helps alot is watching alot of mma and grappling and that kindof stuff, cuz that can also help and show you different ways to hit submissions, or good ways to hit them in a situation
American Fighter Muay Thai, BJJ, MMA
mma fubar
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Postby MMAxKeaton » Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:55 am

I suggest practicing grappling on your friends when they come over or a brother you might have. I usually grapple my bro daily. Also, you could try getting some of your friends from wrestling into BJJ, that way you'll have more people to train on.
MMAxKeaton
White Belt
White Belt

Postby Doylerules » Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:06 pm

sadly i dont have a brother,but the wrestling idea sounds good.
highschool Wrestling,boxing and some BJJ
Doylerules
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Postby bobbyd7085 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:06 pm

i'd love to join a grappling school.
Even if i was slow on progression i'd still be glad and thankfull to have the privilege of being in there getting to mix it up on the grapplin mat.

:?
i dont feel like typing out a signature.i'm too tired from working full time.
bobbyd7085
White Belt
White Belt

Postby Kuark » Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:19 pm

I think it was 2 or 3 months before I subbed anyone other than the other new guys.
Kuark
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Postby jijitsukid35 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:53 pm

i am to a wrestler and my teacher taught me to keep my weight back 8)
jijitsukid35
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Re: Frustrated with bjj

Postby Asa87 » Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:03 pm

thing with BJJ for me was I was going in crazy just trying to sub anything I could get my hands on, I was too impatient, Now i've trained a bit of patience and I am alot better at securing things first and analyzing before trying to submit, it's all about PITS.

From the back... if you don't want to/can't get the RNC maybe an arm bar? fake for RNC and then bring your right leg over your opponents head and under the neck whilst isolating the left arm for the submission.
"Simplicity is the key to brilliance" - Bruce Lee

"Imagination is more important than knowledge" - Albert Einstein
Asa87
Red Belt
Red Belt

Re: Frustrated with bjj

Postby Dcaf » Fri May 29, 2009 12:25 pm

try using easier submissions from dominant positions, such as guillotines, americana's, kimura's, triangles, armbars, rear naked's, and omo plata. master those submissions before you start learning blue belt submissions. and make sure you practice on a friend or brother. apply it softly and slowly until they tap. if they become stubborn and dont tap, make sure you let go anyway. when practicing with a partner, there safety is YOUR responsibility.
Gracie Fo Sho
Dcaf
White Belt
White Belt

Return to BJJ, Judo, Submission Wrestling & Wrestling