Login Sign Up

Georges St. Pierre

Talk about the fighters here.

Moderators: GrappleorWrestle, stevebags, Gurre

Re: Georges St. Pierre

Postby FEDORisGOD » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:12 pm

LOL at Fedor having to drop down 20lbs to prove hes the best. If someone is truly the bst p4p fighter in the world 20lbs shouldnt even matter. Whether its an advantage or a disadvantage.

Anderson's record at LHW would have trouble staying .500. Just like GSP's record if he goes up to MW.

LHW's run from HW's. MW's run from LHW's. WW's run from MW's and so on.

Guys like Rampage, Chuck and Forrest walk around at 235 plus. Why the fuck do you think they cut weight before a fight and then stuff their face after weigh ins to come into the fight 10lbs heavier the next day. This is all to have an advantage over the smaller fighter.

Only a noob would think a HW has to move down to LHW to prove himself.
FEDORisGOD

Postby Kensei » Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:28 am

would have could have should have! I think your assertion that Fedor does not have to drop 20 to prove anything shows a MAJOR bias here and you should realise that the whole P4P thing goes both ways....why should Silva move or GSP move weights if Fedor doesnt have to? LMAO!

If Anderson and GSP would have issues moving up or down weight, I think the same can be said for Fedor.

Funny how Silva, a MW..did not run from LHW, he ran TO LHW to compete. They gave him a LHW and he canned his ass in less than a round. I dont see him having the same easy time with a better fighter at LHW, but I dont see him getting ass raped as well.

I know all about cutting weight and what guys walk around in, you forget you are talking to an old fighter here mate! I used to walk around at 200 pounds and cut to 160 for Judo tournys. I surely dont have to be reminded about why fighters cut weight kiddo! a 40 pound weight cut over two months is about as nasty as it comes. Then to Gatoraide and Steak it back up as high as you could the night before. You dont feel 100% after that kind of nasty training ever.

Oh, and This "Noob" doesn't think a HW has to move down to LHW any more than any NOOB would think a MW should fight at LHW or a WW should fight at MW to prove themselves. Only a complete fucking moron doesnt get that right :) This whole "Fedor is the best and doesnt have to prove himself....but everyone else fighting today does" act is getting very old and tired. yes he is the best HW fighter in the world, and Anderson is the best MW and GSP is the best WW in the UFC and so on and so forth. No one will ever know who the best in the world is P4P because their is NO way to tell...period and end of story!
Kensei

Postby fightDR » Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:58 am

Yeah I agree. The P4P rankings is impossible to say. The fact remains Anderson, GSP an dFedor have dominated and are continuing to dominate their divisions. The only difference is that WW division is more stacked and GSP is beating better quality of fighters. Ok he took Fitch and Kos to decisions but he DOMINATED those tough fights and out wrestled 2 of the best in the world. Fedor against Linalnd then kind of counts against your point a little then.

Anderson beat everyone thrown at him and did it well. He then moved up fought a heavy hitting bigger guy and destroyed him. As for his opponents being pants can't blame him for that as Joe Silva and the UFC put the guys in the cahe with him, not anderson.

As for Fedor yes he is beating top tough guys right now but lets face it, Linalnd and Zulu what more can I say but to agree totally with Kensie. Fedor is the best HW EASILY and beating Barnett if it happens will solidfy that 100%.

Lets have them all play poker to decide title cos thats the only way to have a winner on a competetion we can never know the outcome off like the P4P rankings.
fightDR
Brown(3) Belt
Brown(3) Belt

Postby qwerty » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:06 am

Miguel Torres should be up in the p4p division - 35 wins (should 48) and 1 loss record. Only 5 of those wins were decisions but all were unanimous. The only loss he had was going up a weight class and took the fight on a very short notice. Torres then went to dominate him and submitted him quickly the second time around and put him in retirement. The last time he went to the distance was nearly 4 years ago. He fights at 135 but beaten 145lbers and has fought much bigger oppositions in amateur fights and beaten them.
qwerty
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby fightDR » Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:32 pm

qwerty I completley agree with you. Miguel Torress defintely belongs on that list. The guy is awesome and his fight against Torress was spectacular. The guy is 1 of the best no doubt 1 of the guys in MMA who doesn't get enough spot light IMO.
fightDR
Brown(3) Belt
Brown(3) Belt

Postby FEDORisGOD » Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:29 pm

Torres is definitely on the top 10 p4p list. I think Kid Yamamoto would wreck him though. And Faber also.
FEDORisGOD

Postby qwerty » Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:19 pm

Yamamoto and Faber are both at 145 right? I think I heard Dana saying that if Kid comes to WEC he will fight a "warm-up" fight then gets Torres for the belt (unless undefeated Bowles beat's Torres 1st). The Kid and Dana been talking and I hope Kid goes to WEC - hopefully sometime this year but a fight with Faber would be great also.
qwerty
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby FEDORisGOD » Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:49 pm

WEC cant afford Kid. Kid can get millions in Japan.
FEDORisGOD

Postby qwerty » Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:30 pm

[quote="FEDORisGOD"]WEC cant afford Kid. Kid can get millions in Japan.[/quote]

Huh? You know ZUFFA owns WEC right? Zuffa (UFC) has the biggest pocket book than any other MMA organization and by far more established than any current Japan MMA organization. To say they cannot afford KID is very laughable. The question should be, will Zuffa want to spent that kind of money for Kid.
qwerty
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby FEDORisGOD » Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:35 pm

Anderson fought a CAN at LHW. Anderson doesnt HAVE issues making higher weight. Botch Nog and Machida have said Anderson walks around at 220.

Anyone who cuts, does it to have an advantage over smaller guys.
FEDORisGOD

Postby Kensei » Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:22 pm

LOL, if every one cuts weight to get and advantage....who are they getting and advantage over...the other guy who cut weight to meet them at that weight division??
Kensei

Postby FEDORisGOD » Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:11 pm

You have guys like Anderson who wlak around at 220, to fight at 185 and you have guys like Machida who walk around at 220 but fight at 205.

Some fighters have more balls than others.

Machida P4P>>>>>>GSP and ANderson
FEDORisGOD

Postby Kensei » Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:41 pm

cutting weight is cutting weight, if you drop 20 or 40 it means you are in a lower weight class. Yes it means you are fighting smaller guys, even if you gain back 10-30 pounds...but every one is doing it. Not only that, but if you cut 40 pounds you are weak as shit when you step in the ring. Check with Vera about that one. When you cut to much weight to fight you dont have much gas to throw at them.
Kensei

Postby fightDR » Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:47 am

Cutting weight is a process that is an EVERYDAY thing in our sport now. If a guy cuts weight whether it be 10lbs or 40lbs then the guy may have the advantage of being bigger but like Kensei said will also be tired and gasses quick so what might be a advantage can easily be a disadvantage also.
Cutting weight means nothing when it comes to being a top ranked fighter or anything. Does not make them a pussy or anything simular as cutting weight is hard and takes it out of you. For prove watch Tough and see Bobby Southworth turn into the worlds biggest sissy lol. More guys cut weight than not these days and it means nothing in the big picture of who is a top fighter and who is a pussy, NOT A CHANCE.
I would rather be a Big guy fighting at a smaler weight class or a small guy fighting at a heavier weight class, thats not me thinking or being a pussy but fighting smart.
fightDR
Brown(3) Belt
Brown(3) Belt

Postby Kensei » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:57 am

Here is one way to look at it.
A fight at 170 pounds.

Fighter A is a wrestler who walks around at 210 pounds and is strong for 170 but has to cut weight like a son of a bitch to get down the 40 pounds. He enters the ring at 180 however as he puts on 10 pounds of water weight over night and has a good meal.

Fighter B is a Jujitsuka that walks around at 190 pounds and only cuts 20 pounds, he does not have a hard time cutting weight and he enters the fight at 180 as well having put on 10 pounds of water, but still has lots of gas having cut out only 20 pounds of water.

Fighter C is a striker and he drops down from 200 and the drop of 30 pounds is put back on to make his fight weight 190 as well. He is a bit gassed but not as much as Fighter A.

Fighter A needs his strength, he relys on it to take guys down, pick them up ext. even if he ended up going to 200 pounds and gains back 20 pounds, he is now gassed and bloated from the experience of cutting weight then putting so much back on. It is physiologically hard on the body and he is more likely keeping that weight in his GI and bladder. Not good!

Fighter B just dropped a bit of weight, he is not going to rely on his strength as much as his skills, he will do fine in the ring. If he did not have to drop the weight he probably would be even more ahead of the game. His biggest fear is that a Fighter like "A" lays on him with his extra weight weight and trys to get a LAP win.

Fighter C is going to gas out. He needs to throw a tone of strikes and a few with lots of spit on them. His fear is that Fighter A puts on a tone of weight, takes him down two times a round and lays on him...much like Fighter Bs fears. He will probably have more fuel than fighter A and can KO him if he is lucky, but Fighter As advantage of pulling guard and making him work to escape is a bit daunting.

Those are JUST three set ups.
Were does GSP land? IN all of them. He is a great wrestler that does not cut alot of weight right at the end, his BJJ is pretty good and he can use it against the wrestlers when they get tired and his stirking is great.

In the MMA game, one persons advantage can quickly become a disadvantage....

Look at me getting all Bruce Lee on you guys!
Kensei

PreviousNext

Return to Fighters