Login Sign Up

Georges St. Pierre

Talk about the fighters here.

Moderators: GrappleorWrestle, stevebags, Gurre

Re: Georges St. Pierre

Postby fightDR » Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:17 pm

Kensei you will be making the fight like and be like water next :lol: but yeah I get your point and agree with you lots.
fightDR
Brown(3) Belt
Brown(3) Belt

Postby FEDORisGOD » Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:33 pm

The best P4P fighter in the world should be able to beat anyone 20lbs bigger than them or smaller than them.

GSP and Anderson do not have the SKILLS to do this. Fedor does. Since they dont have the skills to do so they go to lower weight classes and beat up smaller men.

P4P to me = the best fighter in the world hands down. If someone is the best a 20lbs disadvantage or advantage should make absolutely no difference.
FEDORisGOD

Postby Kensei » Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:10 pm

[quote="FEDORisGOD"]The best P4P fighter in the world should be able to beat anyone 20lbs bigger than them or smaller than them.

GSP and Anderson do not have the SKILLS to do this. Fedor does. Since they dont have the skills to do so they go to lower weight classes and beat up smaller men.

P4P to me = the best fighter in the world hands down. If someone is the best a 20lbs disadvantage or advantage should make absolutely no difference.[/quote]

LOL, Why? I just read an article in one of the online news reports that showed the history of the P4P and were it came from...and why it is a crap thing that no one understands....not even the guy who coined the phrase. Being the Pound for Pound best has to do with your record, the types of guys you have faught and the untangables that make the whole thing a difficult and almost impossible thing to pin point.
It did not say that you had to be able to beat anyone bigger or smaller than you...it basically looked at the persons last five fights and went from their.
Not only that, but you are saying that Fedor is the only one...at least he is more set up to fight 20 pounds plus or minus better than Silva or GSP. So what? Does anyone know what weight Fedor walks around at? Does he lose a bit of weight training or does he walk around at his normal weight...I would think not! Fedor does not have to cut weight, but he drops weight...not only that..but back to my original argument....is everyone that GSP fights fighting at their walk around weight and he is the ONLY one that is dropping weight. Do you honestly think he is cutting 50 pounds and fighting guys that cut 2 pounds...I dont think anyone is that stupid. yes a few of his opponents are smaller, but Thaigo and Matt Hughes cut a shit load of weight to get to WW and for Silva Marquardt cut like a bastard to get down to his weight division. So again, if everyone is doing it...it should not be something that excites you so much!

Yes P4P could be the best in the world...but you have to look at the weight catagory they are in first...so who is the best at each level. Then you take their records and how they win and put that into the equation (which is MMA math and we all know it does not work) then you put skill vs skill set and go from their.

To end, P4P is a holy grale of MMA and the ultimate in MMA math! MMA math is for idiots, and if we keep rattling off about it we risk looking like idiots! So, lets say we think Fedor is the best at HW, and his record states he is. The only real challenges for him right now are Barnett and Lesner...dont see anyone I would care to market against the last Emperor! Silva is the best MW, GSP looks to be the best WW and Penn...Choke...is the best LW. Until they face guys that take that spot from them they look to be the best in their respective divisions. Nuff said.
Kensei

Postby qwerty » Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:18 pm

Who is the best light heavyweight as of 2/16/2009 or 16/2/2009 :) ?
qwerty
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby FEDORisGOD » Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:51 pm

Machida is the best LHW in the world. If Dana gives him a chance to prove this, he will.
FEDORisGOD

Postby A2theJ » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:49 pm

^^^X2
A2theJ
White Belt
White Belt

Postby Kensei » Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:26 am

[quote="FEDORisGOD"]Machida is the best LHW in the world. If Dana gives him a chance to prove this, he will.[/quote]

I agree. He is often not as entertaining a fighter as he could be, but I only fault the crowds for not getting the strategy.
Kensei

Postby qwerty » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:25 am

cool, we agree on something. :)
qwerty
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby FEDORisGOD » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:13 am

Machida is on another level. Hes the best fighter the UFC has by a long shot. There is a reason for why Brandon Vera, Wand, Rampage and Forrest ALL refused to fight him. No fighter can figure him out so you can blame the crowd for not being able to do so either.

Machida's rhythem and timing is unlike any fighters in the UFC. His control of distance and momentum is second to none. He simply thinks and executes at a much faster and more accurate rate than any fighter.

Machida will have the belt, If Dana doesnt blackball him ofcourse.
FEDORisGOD

Postby fightDR » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:18 pm

Isn't this the GSP section :lol:

So to mention GSP, I think his next fight if it is against Alves is his toughest yet. Alves is the perfect opponent to test GSP. GREAT take down defense, heavy hands and good striking skills to match his power. He has also decent BJJ and is good and avoiding subs. This could be the perfect WW title fight.
IMO this is the best possible WW fight in the whole UFC if not the world. Both men are on fire and looking GREAT inside and outside the cage. With GSP having had title fight experience and main event status for a long time he has that advantage and if he goes to Greg Jackson again he has that BIG advantage too. I go for 60-40 in GSP's favor.
fightDR
Brown(3) Belt
Brown(3) Belt

Postby qwerty » Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:32 pm

If Alves can avoid the takedowns, Alves wins. Unfortunately, Alves will be taken down plenty.
qwerty
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Kensei » Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:24 pm

GSP is a multi skilled fighter. His wrestling is on a different level than most, his Jitsu is good enough to not only avoid subs but to come up with his own and his striking is strong enough to take out most fighters. His only question is his chin after Serra nailed him, and that is just because he took the guy lightly.

Alves is a great striker, but that is all I have seen from him. The question is...Is that enough to take the fight?
Kensei

Postby FEDORisGOD » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:40 am

Alves sprawl and reaction time is impressive. GSP will have to work hard.
FEDORisGOD

Postby fightDR » Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:55 am

Good points from anybody. Lets face it, GSP have faced the best wrestlers at 170 and destroyed them. He faced awesome BJJ guyes and beat them on the ground namely Penn and good strikers have not had much chance to get off their punches. So now he has something different to think bout.
The best takedown defense at 170, a guy who can avoid subs, a guy who can take a punch, right now when you look at the guys GSP and Alves have faced the perfect fight and hardest fight for them is EACH OTHER.
fightDR
Brown(3) Belt
Brown(3) Belt

Postby Kensei » Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:41 am

I would not put Thiago that high up on a pedistal. I would say he is good...but the best take down defense at 170? I would not think that!
Kensei

PreviousNext

Return to Fighters