Login Sign Up

Georges St. Pierre

Talk about the fighters here.

Moderators: GrappleorWrestle, stevebags, Gurre

Re: Georges St. Pierre

Postby fightDR » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:04 am

Well who then...lets face it Kos has awesome wrestling and Matt Hughes who is also very good at takedowns both came very short against Thiago. Yes when he fought Fitch he was manhandled on the ground and put there alot but he is a different fighter now, he has improved ALOT.
I really do think Alves has earnt his pedistal spot and until he faces GSP and we find out the outcome, he deserves his spot light. I think it's 60-40 in GSP's favor and with how good GSP has proved to be that is VERY close.
fightDR
Brown(3) Belt
Brown(3) Belt

Postby FEDORisGOD » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:11 am

Alves TD defense is fantastic. Who gives a shit if its not the best. I know good when I see it and his TD defense is good. HIs reaction time is second to none.
FEDORisGOD

Postby qwerty » Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:34 pm

You know what would've been a more compelling match up? Swick vs. Alves and the winner gets GSP! Swick, Kosh, and Fitch will doubtfully fight each other as they are in the same camp so maybe, it could've been Swick vs. GSP and Alves vs. Fitch II.
qwerty
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Kensei » Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:18 pm

My point was that he is good, I would say Fantastic, but to say he has the best TD in the division...I dont think so. He is not even a great wrestler. Granted with striking like that he gets away with it very well!~
Kensei

Postby FEDORisGOD » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:58 pm

Alves TD defense against Koscheck was more impressive than GSP's who is the best wrestler in the UFC in a lot of people's opinions.
FEDORisGOD

Postby fightDR » Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:38 am

OK to say best might have been rash as we will never know who the best is but I am glad you can see how good it actually is. I agree with FiG that Alves TD against Kos was sooooo impressive.
Swick is very impressive but I do not think Alves needs to fight him to deserve his title fight, after his wins over Karo, Hughes and Kos it would be criminal if he didn't get his title fight now. I do agree that it would have been a tough and exciting fight. I also think the fact that Kos, Swick and Fitch are in the same camp and prob wont fight does leave things a little up in the air.
Lets get Robbie Lawler back at 170 and in the UFC...that will shake things up. I would even love to see Jason 'Mayhem' Miller back in the UFC also. He deserves a proper run in the UFC. The guy is awesome.
fightDR
Brown(3) Belt
Brown(3) Belt

Postby DarkHorse » Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:42 pm

Alves TD defense against Kos was more impressive than GSP's? Please tell me how. Being able to stuff a guys shot that was seeing stars from getting hit a second before is not at all that impressive. Also, Alves outweighs Kos by a mile. The guy fights around 200 lbs. Every other grappler Alves has fought who's attempted to take him down has found success. Hughes got him on his back as did Karo and Fitch. GSP will most definetly get him on his back.
DarkHorse
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Postby Kensei » Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:56 am

I would say that GSPs take down defense was better because it was a pure wrestling battle. GSP out wrestled a wrestler. Alves used his striking to wobble the wrestler and force him to throw crap shoots. I think that this speaks volumes for those with the back ground to understand. I was talking to a student of mine who was a university wrestler up to three years ago and he was way more impressed with GSPs wrestling than Ko's Especially seeing that Kos was supposed to be this great wrestler and GSP comes from a Karate back ground.
Kensei

Postby fightDR » Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:55 am

I am not doubting the takedown defense or pure class of wrestling of GSP. The guy is on another planet as far as wrestling in MMA goes. The fact remains he has fought wrestlers who have had an ego to think they can outwrestle him as they have more of a wrestling back ground. Alves is aware he cannot match wrestling with GSP so instead will sprawl and use his TD to keep the fight standing. We know what Alves will do before the fight and so does GSP but it's now a case of who's will is stronger and who can impose their game plan on the other guy.
This is the perfect fight for both men at the moment. Both on a tear up of good opponents and they represent the nightmare fighter for each other IMHO.
fightDR
Brown(3) Belt
Brown(3) Belt

Postby Kensei » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:50 am

I agree, GSP can take guys down, very strong, has unique angles he throws strikes from. Alves is your basic bull of a guy with bone crushing punches and kicks and good sprawl. I think that this one could go to either guy.
Kensei

Postby Kensei » Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:55 pm

Kensei

Postby Reymode » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:19 pm

[quote="Kensei"]I agree, GSP can take guys down, very strong, has unique angles he throws strikes from. Alves is your basic bull of a guy with bone crushing punches and kicks and good sprawl. I think that this one could go to either guy.[/quote]

In retrospect GSP did one hell of a job controlling the whole damn fight. At no point of the fight did it feel like he was in any danger of losing. Great game plan from Greg Jackson and Co.
Reymode
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby DisciplineHopes » Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:25 am

[quote="Reymode"][quote="Kensei"]I agree, GSP can take guys down, very strong, has unique angles he throws strikes from. Alves is your basic bull of a guy with bone crushing punches and kicks and good sprawl. I think that this one could go to either guy.[/quote]

In retrospect GSP did one hell of a job controlling the whole damn fight. At no point of the fight did it feel like he was in any danger of losing. Great game plan from Greg Jackson and Co.[/quote]

i agree. he had more composure in that fight than i would have expected ofr one but than i had seen him have in awhile really. which hes always, well 9.95x's out of 10, has his head on straight before a fight.
DisciplineHopes
Red Belt
Red Belt

Previous

Return to Fighters