Login Sign Up

Get over it Bruce was best fighter in the world

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Kung Fu Moderators

Re: Get over it Bruce was best fighter in the world

Postby Kensei » Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:21 am

no problem. I resepct both men...but for different reasons. Might sound like I am dishing on Lee but the truth is that I just know who he really was! and what he really was. and I was their...training when he was big. I was not very old but I knew he was a actor that would draw people to the Martial arts, not a tournament champ, or a fighter.

Just thought of it....it is like David Caradine...anyone think he was a real Chinese Buddhist monk?

Even monkeys fall out of trees!
Kensei

Postby Kensei » Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:24 am

Most of the martial arts actors that have made it big were not really "tournament Giants" or had the history that they were "assigned" by the marketing guys. Like....

Wesley Snipes: Snipes is actually a Capoera trained guy that also holds a 5th Dan in Shotokan, but to what end. He never really did tournaments or true fighting. He used his skills learned to work for him in the movies and most people will never think of him as being a great martial artist....its a stretch to think of him as a serious actor as well. :lol:

Jackie Chan: Probably the most interesting of actor/martial artists. He did not train in “real” martial arts for years. He studied the Chinese Opera with its fake fighting and stunts. He became a cultural Icon in Asia and the West! Never stepped into a ring to prove his skills however.

Tony Jaa: toney Jaa was a far boy in Thai land that begged his father to work with a famous Thai fight choriographer. He did and the rest is history. He practiced most of his “martial arts” moves jumping off of the family Elephant into a river. Interesting how that one goes and the “actor/martial artist” only trained in fight corriography.

Jet Li: a Wu Shu artist that studied and brought his style of martil arts to the big screen, Li has never faught, his style is based on dynamic forms and unique adjile moves that were perfect for the big screen.

Steven Segal: Depends on what you believe, He WAS a 7th dan and the first western instructor to open a Aikido Dojo in Osaka Japan. He also was the founder of an off shoot of Aikido that he taught breifly in the US. However he was never a tournament winner or MMA style fighter. Also the stories of him being in the military are false, being a CIA hit man is false and he was never a Yakuza assasin ext and so on. In fact he was very focused on two things, Aikido and becoming a actor.

Jean Claude Van Damme: Jean-Claude Camille François Van Vaerenbergh Shortened his name and became an actor , One of the frew that has a fight record and believe it or not did do fairly well. He also has a BJJ black belt apparently.

Chuck Norris: a Military service man that had learned several martial arts in his time. Tang Soo Do (Korean Shotokan) while in service and recently Machado BJJ, he used his skills to “break” into acting and from their he learned the art of acting even more. He is probably the most culturally significant person on the list (with some debate) Still working and still seen as both and active Martial artist and an active Actor.

David Charidine: Caradine was the sone of a famous actor and never took up martial arts till he got the part as Cain. He did study some forms of Kung fu but never faught in a real fight.

Bolo Young: Young got involved in martial arts as a child, but it was his body building that lead to him being cast in the movies. While he did study many styles of martial arts, he was never had a Shotokan black belt as some suggest and he also never faught in tournaments as far as I can see.

Kensei

Postby qwerty » Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:30 pm

Jean Claude Van Damme: Jean-Claude Camille François Van Vaerenbergh Shortened his name and became an actor , One of the frew that has a fight record and believe it or not did do fairly well. He also has a BJJ black belt apparently.

I heard Jean Claude was a KO artist in this time. Maybe he was Frank Dux?

Chuck Norris: a Military service man that had learned several martial arts in his time. Tang Soo Do (Korean Shotokan) while in service and recently Machado BJJ, he used his skills to “break” into acting and from their he learned the art of acting even more. He is probably the most culturally significant person on the list (with some debate) Still working and still seen as both and active Martial artist and an active Actor.

Chuck Norris doesn't read books, he stares them down until he gets the information he wants.
qwerty
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Kensei » Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:02 pm

LMOA! qwerty....I knew their was a reason I liked reading your posts...

Kensei

Postby Kensei » Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:04 pm

Shadow wrote:Okay, that's were I draw the line...how can you not like Wesley :roll: ? You can't tell me you didn't like Blade or passenger 57?

Seagal - how do you know he wasn't in the CIA? I never heard the Kakuza assasin one.

Van Damme being able to fight :shock: , and being good...it had to be point fighting or something, right?

Chuck the man, fighter, MA-ist, and balls to back it up, win or lose! This Shotokan he took, is a Korean variant of the Japanese style or just Shotokan taught in Korea?

Caradine being a fight is the most unbelieveable :shock: . He look horid as a fighter in the movie. Slow, old and impractical. I doubt many thought he could fight.

Did Jeff Speakman ever fight?

Never said that I did not like Snipes, said he was not a fighter. Segal came out and said that the CIA thing was a file promoters wet dream, Van damme did kick boxing...full contact and had a good record! Chuck did Tang Soo Do, a Korean variation of Shotokan, closer to Shotokan than TKD. And Yes...Caradine was a joke.

From what I see Speakman never did much more than a bit of tournament stuff...but not much.

Kensei

Postby Kensei » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:48 am

Speakman had a few, but I am fairly sure that you will have issues finding them !

Kensei

Previous

Return to Tae Kwon Do & Kung Fu