Login Sign Up

Getting Stamina Up

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Kung Fu Moderators

Getting Stamina Up

Postby Ezikiel » Sat Mar 11, 2006 1:18 pm

Hi,
I am former kenpo practicitioner who has gone from kenpo to kickboxing. I have trained in kenpo for many years (since I was 5) and my knowledge and skill in martial arts is quite above average for someone of my age (15). However one thing that was not worked on enough at my old school was stamina, as we didnt contact spar and rarely point sparred. Now that im in the ring almost ever class (although do to my school/after school schedule and no car im not there as often as i would like) i gas out towards the end of the 2nd round. This is very frustrating as the other sport i particpate in is rowing, a very endurance based sport if you do not already know. My question is how to train for stamina in the ring, outside the ring. Any programs people follow, exercises i should try, or programs emphising intensity rather then duration would be greatly apreciated.
Ezikiel
White Belt
White Belt

Postby Gurre » Sat Mar 11, 2006 1:39 pm

you know, gassing in training might feel frustrating but keep going as much as you can even is you gass. It's in those moments you really gain stamina. I've always been lucky since my stamina is very easy to get back after a long time out of sports. But jogging and really doing everything 100% in the training gives you alot of stamina. It's frustrating, but the longer you're at it the etter it gets.
Gurre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby stevebags » Sat Mar 11, 2006 2:51 pm

dont get disheartened about your stamina ezikiel as you dont really start getting stamina until mid 20s. I know this may sound odd but a ex pro cyclist told me this. I found that fartlekking improved my stamina and recovery rate but it may help as gurre said go jogging and give everything 100% and it will come.
"...the man who really counts in the world is the doer, not the mere critic-the man who actually does the work, even if roughly and imperfectly, not the man who only talks or writes about how it ought to be done."

http://www.myspace.com/stevebaggaley
stevebags
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Gurre » Sat Mar 11, 2006 3:19 pm

for sure. When I was 7, and untill I was 15 I used to do alot of interwall training. Sprints with short rests inbetween. I think it's a perfect way of training, because you can regain alot of strength during a short rest. Great for ... well let's say BJJ tournaments or kickboxing. You teahc all the muscles in your body that after a 3 minute strain there's a 1 minute rest. The body will make that minute count. This stamina takes very long time to lose too ;)
Gurre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Getting Stamina Up

Postby itachirinnengan » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:47 pm

at my tkd club we have something like 30-40 min warm-up:d,out of which we run at least 20 mins(while raising our knees ,...)after this we may sometimes start sparring and i can hit for 3 2 min rounds,but in the next 3 i breathe myself out.sparring may be the best stamina builder or swimming something like 2 km continuosly:d
itachirinnengan
White Belt
White Belt

Re: Getting Stamina Up

Postby LONNIEmcconne » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:18 am

Those Stamina build up in practice time, helps during the real tough situations.
LONNIEmcconne
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Return to Tae Kwon Do & Kung Fu