Login Sign Up

Getting the Blue belt.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Getting the Blue belt.

Postby Asa87 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:14 pm

So i'm just curious about what you guys have to say to this question...

How long does it take to gain a blue belt in BJJ and what do you think a blue belt should represent?

I have googled it and come across different answers, and at my club the blue belts there got there belts after about 2.5 years of training with maybe 6-8 hours a week. I think they are pretty high end Blue belts though to be honest, and I also think it is harder to get a Blue belt in Europe than in US and canada, not sure about brazil.

For me I think blue belt should represent that you have a solid understanding of the fundamentals of BJJ. I think blue belts should be able to take white belts in there club and hang with blue belts from there club and other clubs across the world, they should also be able to give purple belts at least a bit of trouble.

Also do you think competitions/ winning tournaments propels the advancement to obtaining a belt?

Just curious.
"Simplicity is the key to brilliance" - Bruce Lee

"Imagination is more important than knowledge" - Albert Einstein
Asa87
Red Belt
Red Belt

Re: Getting the Blue belt.

Postby Kensei » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:28 am

I am not a blue belt or a BJJ guy that can come in and give answers to alot of the questions you posted, that is best left to some of the other guys here....

But I wanted to comment on your question about competitions and winnign tournaments ext. I can see value in showing your skills and the thrill of competition, but I dont think it should have any impact on your ranking. I mean their will always be guys that like to prove their worth in a competition setting, but learning and understanding moves and techniques is a world away from being able to compete physically in a sport. That is what true martial arts are not about!

Most martial arts were created so that one person can use techniques to defend themselves or effectivly end a violent situation. they were not set up so that someone can bring home a trophy after rolling for an hour or making points in a tournament setting. I know of a lot of Karate guys that beat others, and myself in tournaments. They were fast, they scored points with great looking techniques then came back to the club and we hammered on them in the dojo kumite were points mean shit!

Seriously, a guy trains his ass off, gets in great shape and then goes and wins a tournament in Karate or Jiu Jitsu and then feels they are the best? Or at least that they are better than others. I remember a story about a Jiu Jitsu guy here in Winnipeg that was a regional champion, he was fast and good. But got tagged in a bar fight and went to sleep. The real purpose of martial arts is not sport! It has its place, but ranking is not one of them.

I feel that rank should be based on understanding of an art and the ability to perform to specific standards....not on the size of your trophy case at home and how full it is!

Even monkeys fall out of trees!
Kensei

Postby Asa87 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:31 pm

that's not what I was claiming though, I was just asking, do you think it propells advancement? I think it should. Here are my reasons:

Training martial is now international, never mind how many schools are in a country or even a state. So I think among all those schools, there are going to be a HELL of a lot of mcdojos. Am I right? So... I therefore believe that if you have a certain belt... lets say karate black belt, a karate black belt should be able to hang with another karate black belt from another school half-way across the globe or the belt really... doesn't mean shit. It could have been given to him by a rubbish school with no credit and an instructor who got his belt easy.

So I think competitions/Seminars/Small inter-club tournaments bring different schools together and really maintain that global skill level for belts. So I am just saying that if your competing it shows that you are that level capable. I see what you are saying (parts of) but don't you agree with what I'm saying here?

Now I'm just talking about BJJ, the martial art. I am not discussing this from a "street defence" perspective, because to be honest I would never use BJJ in the street unless I ended on my back, and I'd only use it to get up. I can imagine trying to triangle someone out while his 3 mates stamp on my face. I'd just box and get dirty.

I feel that rank should be based on understanding of an art and the ability to perform to specific standards....not on the size of your trophy case at home and how full it is!

That, I agree with 100%, all I was saying was; do you think tournaments/competitions/seminars should PROPELL advancement?

Not arguing, just discussing.

Asa87
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby Asa87 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:58 am

Kensei! Don't just abandon ship on this discussion!

Gurre, Get your BJJ ass in here and answer my questions!

Asa87
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby Kensei » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:50 am

Sorry man, missed out for a bit. I think that seminars are important and outside of that it should be based on what you can demonstrate in a test....and on the mat. Tournaments and competitions aside! As I dont find much value in them.

Even monkeys fall out of trees!
Kensei

Postby smog » Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:49 am

A lot of people say 2-3 years. It's different for everyone. Unfortunately BJJ isn't like getting your associates degree at your local community college. I think you should be able to teach a full BJJ class before getting your blue belt. A good BJJ teacher will go over every single detail for each submission/move.

At my school we have a list of moves we have to do when testing for the blue belt. I feel if you can confidently do the test, teach a class, and roll well in class, that should be when you are awarded your belt. I'm not a big fan of competitions but it's a great test of your skill. It should factor into getting your blue belt but not a big factor.
smog
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Return to BJJ, Judo, Submission Wrestling & Wrestling