Login Sign Up

Good ankle stretches for making my triangles easier?

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Good ankle stretches for making my triangles easier?

Postby DDale » Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:03 am

Hi there I'm finding that when I apply a triangle choke that I occasionally end up getting serious cramp in my leg/ankle area. I can finish the triangle so that aspect is not a problem but often I have to take a couple of minutes out afterwards to massage my lower leg/ankle.

Has anyone got any good stretches or other exercises that might help?
Gods of War MMA Token Irish Dude.

Gods of War MMA Reading Berkshire
DDale
White Belt
White Belt

Re: Good ankle stretches for making my triangles easier?

Postby donovan99 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:23 am

the only stretch that you need is a stretch of time!! it takes a ton of patience to develop the muscle memory to get the triangle right - roll roll and roll away!
donovan99
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Postby Gurre » Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:10 am

first of all, there is no such thing as "muscle memory".

The triangle choke, which is my favorite, is a work of art. There are many angles that you need to get right in order to get it tight. You don't need very much strength to pull it off if you have the correct angles and the arm is fully stretched to the side. Talk to your instructor.
Gurre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Kensei » Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:41 pm

muscle memorie is simply the brain learning what a technique feels like and how to get that move right. Gurre is right, the muscles do not have the capability to memorize or learn in the classic sense.

Even monkeys fall out of trees!
Kensei

Postby Kensei » Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:51 am

Shadow, the term "muscle memorie" is a simplification of a very complex process that makes it sound like their are more to the process than their is. For instance, a sprinters ham strings contract 1:3 the power of their Quads when they first start sprinting like most of us, but after alot of training they bring that to 2:3 ratio. If they dont adapt to the power of the quads by increasing the power ability and output then you will hear a large blast sound as the Semi Tendenousis falls appart mid sprint.
Muscles do not have memory they ave adaptability. much like bone becomes denser, muscle stronger or more pliable and skin calloused! The mind and nerves are only involved in as much as they make the muscles contract in time and they play apart in movement. as far as muscle memory or them becoming adapted to the movements, I think you get that they do become adapted but not by any mental or thinking process.

As for the ankles that need more flexibility, It is probably not a flexibility issue if they are cramping, it is more likely a strength and conditioning issue. I would chat with your instructor and see what they can do. often they donthave the training to help but hopefully they do. if not we might be able to help a bit as a group, Gurre is a good source for BJJ.

Even monkeys fall out of trees!
Kensei

Return to BJJ, Judo, Submission Wrestling & Wrestling