Login Sign Up

Good excerises to increase your punching power and speed?

Good excerises to increase your punching power and speed?

Postby Zzanitari » Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:16 pm

I know form is important and that really does good increasing your power (rotation of your hips and feet). And everything on your body being worked out will increase your power I know that. But I want to do exercises that focus on the main muscles that give you all that and exercise those.
There are 3 things I do to increase my punching power but I want to know more exercises:

Punching power exercises:
  • Hitting the heavy bag
  • Push ups & pull ups
  • Push ups on stairs or counter with wide grip strengthening the back muscle Latissimus Dorsi and triceps, This has REALLY increased my power and i have noticed that I hit the bag much harder the next day

Speed exercises:

• Jab & hook with each arm 100-300 times or more with 8-10 pound dumbbells
  • Combos on the heavy bag with 16oz gloves
  • Do combos and shadow box with 16oz gloves

I know there's a lot more.
Zzanitari
White Belt
White Belt

Re: Good excerises to increase your punching power and speed?

Postby mung » Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:10 pm

Don't forget you can use weights too, DB bench press etc. etc. etc. Look up the Tyrone Spong training videos on youtube.com to see his strength training programs; I forgot the name of his strength and conditioning coach, but I know he is amazing at what he does.

Just remember though free-weights with alot of reps are better for thai and kick boxing, you generally don't want to bulk up, from what I've been told from my instructor and other sources anyways.
mung
White Belt
White Belt

Postby Jons » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:15 am

Always use 16 oz. gloves when doing any kind of bag/pad work and optionally while sparring. I prefer to use my 14 oz. gloves when sparring so that you can feel the difference in hand speed, those 2 extra ounces really do make a difference. I wouldn't recommend punching with anything heavier than 5 lbs(depends on your size I guess?). Also doing a lot of back and shoulder exercises using light weight with high reps which should help you also keep your hands up along with increasing your punching power. Light weight being 3-5 lbs. If I can find my weight circuit printout I'll PM it to you, the bigger guys even have problems with 3 lbs when first starting it. Also, if possible, use a speed bag to, you guessed it, increase your hand speed.
Jons
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Postby Kensei » Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:52 pm

two words...hit stuff~

Even monkeys fall out of trees!
Kensei

Postby Asa87 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:08 pm

Sounds like you're doing everything right. Get on the thai pads with someone who knows how to hit and got to town.
"Simplicity is the key to brilliance" - Bruce Lee

"Imagination is more important than knowledge" - Albert Einstein
Asa87
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby beginerx » Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:21 am

Training may be good, effective or bad... How to test it? Do it doit do it... etc.?
Well after 20 years you will detect that some method was wrong :lol:
I found an interesting thing - how to measure a punch - punching speed meter for personal computer with microphone. http://knockouter.com
Pic form this site:

h-m-m-m,
1)measure your punching speed
2)do some exercises say one week
3)measure again
got progress? well do it again!
no progress? change your training method!
?
beginerx
White Belt
White Belt

Return to Boxing, Kickboxing & Muay Thai