Login Sign Up

How do I get into the MMA world?

Moderators: GrappleorWrestle, Forum Moderators

How do I get into the MMA world?

Postby chaseb88 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:26 pm

I am 20 yrs old and love to workout and train. I have played sports all my life and have never had the time for MMA though I have always had an interest in it. I played baseball in college but that has come to an end and now i would love to try and get into MMA but i do not know where to begin and how to get into it. If anyone has any answers i would appreciate it.
chaseb88
White Belt
White Belt

Re: How do I get into the MMA world?

Postby qwerty » Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:28 pm

Where are you from? What is your workout schedule like right now?
qwerty
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby chaseb88 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:35 am

I am from middle georgia. Right now my workout is based more on gaining mass. I workout 5 days a week and realize that the cardio required for MMA isnt in my workout. I really have no idea how to train for mma and where to go to get any knowledge, experience or answers
chaseb88
White Belt
White Belt

Postby Gurre » Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:28 pm

how about going to an MMA-gym?
Gurre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby chaseb88 » Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:15 pm

I am looking into that but the closest one to me is a little more than 2 hours away
chaseb88
White Belt
White Belt

Postby Kensei » Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:41 am

Chase have a few questions and a few comments.

First off How old are you, weight height and reach.
Second what skill sets do you already have...IE what MA back ground.
Third what kind of work outs do you do now?

Okay, here are the comments from the old dog...Get your arse into a MA Gym a Wrestling Gym or something. If you lift weights five times a week you might make a great body builder or power lifter but in Martial Arts circles we have a great name for those guys...."targets" or "victims" or "striking dummys'". Work on skills together in a MMA gym or appart in separate gyms....it does not matter except in a MMA gym you will/should have a coach that can put it together. Now, if you can not find a MMA coach then take up one ground skill based fighting system and one stand up. Split the work outs evenly three days a peice and dont stop your conditioning training, just modify it a bit. As a guy that competed in Judo/wrestling and Sambo and also in Contact and point Karate I might be able to help you out a bit but lots of guys here train in multi sports. Haveing a sport Physiology back ground I might be able to offer up a different view, but dont count those other guys out...especially Gurre and the guys, they are Mucho BJJ guys.

Even monkeys fall out of trees!
Kensei

Postby chaseb88 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:45 am

20 yrs old. 5ft 10 in. 185 lbs ill get back to you on the reach. Talking to some guys right now and looking for somewhere to train. thank you so much for your help.
chaseb88
White Belt
White Belt

Postby Jons » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:09 pm

I wish you luck at 185 lbs! I'm the same age/height and 140 lbs, hope you find a good gym!
Jons
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Postby Kensei » Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:44 am

Yah, but he is 185 walking around, he could drop down easily. At 140 if you drop down you may very well disappear!

Seriously though, if you train at 185 and fight at 170 you will be comfortable with the small cut and feel pretty strong. For now just focus on getting into a good gym and working it out.

Even monkeys fall out of trees!
Kensei

Postby Kaltblitz94 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:13 pm

I've been wondering how to get started as well. Interesting enough, I too live in Georgia (outside of atlanta), and weightlift 5 days a week (Cardio 7 days a week). I'm 6'4'' 215lbs. 21 years old

A "KnuckleUp" Mma workout facility just opened up near my work, and I think I'm going to try it. It seems expensive though. What does it usually cost a month?
Kaltblitz94
White Belt
White Belt

Postby DisciplineHopes » Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:16 am

around my way (greenville,nc) its $120/month for all aspects of mma.
DisciplineHopes
Red Belt
Red Belt

Return to MMA & NHB