Login Sign Up

How do you build a stronger chin?

How do you build a stronger chin?

Postby jdizzle2300 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:19 am

How do you build a stronger chin?I mean i think anyone could punch hard if they worked at it,but few people can take a punch and i was wanting to know if you're born with it or if you can get better at taking a punch as well.
jdizzle2300
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Postby Gurre » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:26 pm

work your neck muscles
Gurre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby GrappleorWrestle » Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:00 pm

That or be born with a natural affinity for taking hits.
Not to cross train cripples the martial arts, without it you can become a mechanic, but never an artist.
- E. Cates

Gold medals aren't really made of gold. They're made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts.
- Dan Gable
GrappleorWrestle
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Asa87 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:43 am

I think it's just one of those things you've either got or you dont.
"Simplicity is the key to brilliance" - Bruce Lee

"Imagination is more important than knowledge" - Albert Einstein
Asa87
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby Kensei » Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:58 am

Every guy here is right.

First off you can not "build a better chin" if you are set up physiologically to be prone to KO's you will always be prone to KO's. But like Gurre infered you can train to take a punch better by physically prepairing for it and also getting hit a few times to get used to it.

you need to distinguise between a KO' and being Rocked! Some guys can get hit all day and not get rocked then get their ticket punched with a shot and be out cold. Others get hit once or twice and are dazed for hours or "flash KO'd" This is not a true KO, they are awake, just not aware! You can get used to being hit and lessen the effect of a punch on your awairness, but if you are prone to KO's then you probably should go find a job at sub way or something! You can not take that effect away!

Even monkeys fall out of trees!
Kensei

Postby jdizzle2300 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:07 am

Thanks and i was just wondering in general because it seems like some guys can take a hellacious hit and still be fighting and another guy can take a hit and get koed by it
jdizzle2300
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Postby GrappleorWrestle » Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:16 am

There are two kinds of Knockouts.

1. The first are known as trauma knockouts. This happens when either there has been too much brain trauma and the brain shuts down the body as a safety precaution or when the head/neck twists too far and the brain sends a signal down the spine to go limp so your neck doesn't break. That's why Gurre mentioned strengthening your neck muscles. For the second one it will help to prevent that.

2. Blood Pressure Knockouts - This is when you know how to hit an area that will cause the person's blood pressure to drop and they pass out. Really easy to do if you know how. Even though Dim Mak is referred to as "Death Touch" it is actually pressure point/meridian striking.
Not to cross train cripples the martial arts, without it you can become a mechanic, but never an artist.
- E. Cates

Gold medals aren't really made of gold. They're made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts.
- Dan Gable
GrappleorWrestle
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby bryan_hel » Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:41 pm

i wood not want to be know for "being able to take a punch" i dont know if you have seen super bad but work you dodgeing and blocking skills wood be the smarter way to go imo
bryan_hel
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby mma fubar » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:04 pm

i heard somewhere that if you chew alot of peices of gum alot, that it strencthens your jaw muscles and that helps to lesten the impact made on your chin from a hard hit
American Fighter Muay Thai, BJJ, MMA
mma fubar
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Postby bryan_hel » Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:29 pm

why wood you want to prepare for failire by that i mean your dogeing and blocking skills arent working if you need to depend on a tough chin i mean look at cabage the fighter noone respects him besides that you can knock the shit out of him and he wont fall down
bryan_hel
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby mma fubar » Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:34 pm

i think that its just something good to have like on the side. No matter how much you train or work, you can always catch a lucky punch or kick and i think its alot better to be able to keep going. I dont see it as preparing for failure, just having an extra edge in the fight
American Fighter Muay Thai, BJJ, MMA
mma fubar
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Postby donovan99 » Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:29 am

yeah man - Gurre and Kensei are right (they usually are). For neck exercise try doing the following:

Grab a towel, roll it, and place it behind your head.
Then grab the edges of the towel roll with both hands and offer some resistance. Then tilt your head forward and while you are moving your head back to its normal position (vertical position) then offer moderate resistance. Do 3 sets of 10-12 reps.

Another good advice is not to experiment with getting KO'd during training - it can only make your more susceptible to KOs!!
donovan99
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Postby jdizzle2300 » Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:36 am

Yeah i guess that does make sense.
jdizzle2300
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Postby Koulikov » Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:13 pm

Well dont worry, there are also MMA professional fighters "weak" chins.

A great example of that is James Thompson.
Undertaker
Fedor Emelianenko

The Best of the best

Koulikov
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Postby fightDR » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:56 pm

Koulikov wrote:Well dont worry, there are also MMA professional fighters "weak" chins.

A great example of that is James Thompson.

True James thompson doesn't have the best chin going but he has a huge size over lots if not most and is not called the coluses for nothing, he is built like a brick shitt house lol. not that it makes any difference just wanted to stand up for him as he is a nice guy lol :lol:
Love all mma, and big UFC fan but I do miss Pride.
Big Supporter or British MMA so a shout out to Micheal Bisbing, Paul Taylor and Dan Hardy who are representing well and makeing their mark in the UFC!!!
fightDR
Brown(3) Belt
Brown(3) Belt

Next

Return to Supplements, Diet, Equipment & Weight Training