Login Sign Up

How to get involved in MMA?

Moderator: Forum Moderators

How to get involved in MMA?

Postby EnglandTom » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:47 pm

Alright from my username you can see that I am from England and as far as I know there isn't a huge MMA scene like the UFC over here.

I have just turned 17 and am around 9 stone. I have been trying to put on weight but no matter what I eat I can't seem to gain weight.

I have been going to Shotokan Karate for about 3 months and am a white belt but will move up to red at the next grading. Karate is 3 times a week for 1 hour each lesson.

I have a punching bag and weights which I work with every other morning (one day on, one day off). Theres a lack of motivation on my part to train more often and so I was wondering if anyone had some ideas or training routines suitable for my age and weight that I could follow so atleast there is a schedule to keep to instead of just "doing it".
EnglandTom
White Belt
White Belt

Postby Gurre » Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:50 am

actually the MMA scene is rather big in the UK. There are 2 big organisations (CW and CR) and a number of smaller ones. I'd join a BJJ team or an MMA gym if I was you. In worst case, start wrestling.
Gurre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Kensei » Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:24 am

Well, Shotokan is a great start if you have a good instructor. The "uniqueness" of the fighting style will pay off in the end. Keep it up, but like Gurre stated start a grappling style soon as well. You are a young kid, keep the weight at were it wants to stay. Work the bag and weights with some cardio, stick to the Karate, but make sure you push the pace and work on Kumite with seniors....ASK FOR HELP, dont ask to spar....you will get your ass kicked!

A great Combo is BJJ and Shotokan, look at Machida, came up in shotokan and then added BJJ and Thai boxing. That is a great combo set up.

Keep on training and working at home and look for small fights once you get comfortable in Karate and in Grappling.

Even monkeys fall out of trees!
Kensei

Postby Gurre » Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:57 am

also remember, Wu Tang Clan ain't nothing to fu*k with
Gurre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Off Topic