Poll ended at Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:36 am

Of course it's a martial art!
50%
No, how could it be!
50%

Total votes : 6

Re: Is Boxing a Martial Art?

Postby Kensei » Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:13 am

boxing is a form of fighting that requires specific training. it is an old form of fighting taught to military men to help them on the battle field. I think that qualifies it.

Even monkeys fall out of trees!
Kensei

Postby Kensei » Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:26 pm

No it was fine. And I agree. but the one thing that you can say for old style boxing was that they never used gloves. it is of interest because with out the gloves you have to learn a better defense.

Kensei

Postby pmosiun » Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:48 pm

No, boxing is a sport, not a martial art. Why? Because most people do not view it as a martial art. There is no sensei, terminology, gi's, belts. It is just a sport with guys wearing puffy pillows and shorts.
pmosiun
White Belt
White Belt

Postby Kensei » Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:27 am

pmosiun wrote:No, boxing is a sport, not a martial art. Why? Because most people do not view it as a martial art. There is no sensei, terminology, gi's, belts. It is just a sport with guys wearing puffy pillows and shorts.

I am not going to insult you here pmosiun but I am going to point out a few descrepencies you might not know of.

Because most people do not view it as a martial art.
Most people have issues walking and chewing bubble gum at the same time...does that make them authorities on bubble gum? You can not say that "most people" crap and get away with it. First off most people would not know a martial art if it jumped up and bit them in the ass...so it does NOT count what "most people" think. :lol:

There is no sensei
WRONG....Sensei means "the one who came before", thats all. In Japan the term has come to mean teacher, but it still means " the one who came before" or Sen-Before, Sei-Person. They call school teachers Sensei, drill instructors in the security force (Army) and also anyone teaching pretty much anyone who teaches anything Sensei...and even boxing coaches are called Sensei! So....Boxing has Sensei! Especially in Japan. A coach is a Sensei....just different teaching styles.

terminology
SO you often drink heavy before posting :lol: Boxing has more damn Terminology than you can shake a stick at. So does wrestling. :|

gi's
A Keikogi or Dogi or what ever you tend to call it is simply a uniform to train in. Karate did not make use of Keikogi until Gichin Funikoshi brought Karate to Japan, before that they trained in….shorts and a tee shirt! Wow kind of sounds like boxing. And by your assertion Kung fu, PenjakSelat, RamThai, and many other styles of martial arts do not qualify as martial arts, and I could go on!
belts
Belts are also a invention of the transport of Funakoshi to the mainland. Judo brought the Karate belt to the “art”. Prior to this they used a system were the “master” would give a teaching license or a master’s license to the instructor after years of training with no “rank”. The “art” adopted this to fit in with accepted styles in the mainland. They took up ranks because of the Samurai ranking system. The older Koryu styles altered the systems mostly to attract youth and school children and keep them interested. In the end Most of the original masters did not use the belt, Funakoshi used a Chinese sash to keep his Dogi closed! The belt originally was used to only keep the jacket closed, then began using it to denote rank. And boxing…has ranking. They can not wear a “golden gloves” rate on a glove or pair of shorts very easy.
just a sport with guys wearing puffy pillows and shorts
Dear god man, have you ever worked out at a modern Dojo? Sparring in TKD or Karate involves putting on a tone of foam dipped gloves and mouth guards, a “hogo” and shin guards. Some a helmet of foam as well. Not many are old school scraped knuckle types like my club.

So by your standards, Karate is not a martial art, Judo is not a martial art…hell there are no martial arts! Just a suggestion, think outside the box. TKD is pretty much the Asian version of Boxing, all about getting to a specific rank (be it black belt or golden gloves) then competition……I would be very confused if I took your standards as what is a martial art of not…I would say that martial arts died many years ago!

Kensei

Postby pmosiun » Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:56 am

Of course i know boxing is a martial art, i was just trolling. It is more of a martial art than karate because it is trained alive.
pmosiun
White Belt
White Belt

Postby Kensei » Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:02 am

pmosiun wrote:Of course i know boxing is a martial art, i was just trolling. It is more of a martial art than karate because it is trained alive.

This can be taken a few ways...first I am not dead...ergo my karate is alive. Second if you mean by hitting eachother..you are not going to the right Dojo to train in Karate.

Just like Karate has the "family" styles and the real tough clubs, boxing has its "Boxercise" classes and kiddie box clubs. Be careful what styles you disrespect or call down, their are always us old timers that enjoy a good rumble! :wink:

Kensei

Postby itachirinnengan » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:55 pm

i think that a martial art is not just a way to fight.it is about discipline(look at tyson,ali and so on).second the boxers consider themselves sportives
itachirinnengan
White Belt
White Belt

Postby hiyatran » Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:13 am

boxing is another form of fighting just like karate, judo, wrestling, etc. just because there are no kicking involve is it martial arts, well there are MMA fighters out there that hardly every do any round house, flying kicks, high kicks, etc but just do leg kicks or mostly boxing like Keith Jardine, Randy Coutour, Kevin_Randleman, Mark Coleman, the list goes on and on. So does that mean they are not real MMA fighters?

Know your strength and some MMA fighters can not do those fancy kicks but they stick with what they are good at and that is boxing for standup and wrestling, judo, etc for ground games.

so to answer your question, is boxing a martial arts?
Of course it is!!
hiyatran
White Belt
White Belt

Postby drifter73 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:16 pm

I think that every form of fighting can be categorized as a Martial Art Form. Yes, even Brawling, wrestling, and Street fighting..... Martial arts is simply a term used to categorize a form or forms of fighting, no matter where it originates or how it is taught. I think that once you open a dojo or start a training program of any kind to teach a specific form of fighting, it becomes a martial art.

I'm personally a big fan of Tae Boxing / Kick Boxing, but also respect all other forms of combat. Standard Boxing with the hands deserves just as much respect as all the other forms. :)
drifter73
White Belt
White Belt

Postby Kensei » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:24 am

drifter73 wrote:I think that every form of fighting can be categorized as a Martial Art Form. Yes, even Brawling, wrestling, and Street fighting..... Martial arts is simply a term used to categorize a form or forms of fighting, no matter where it originates or how it is taught. I think that once you open a dojo or start a training program of any kind to teach a specific form of fighting, it becomes a martial art.

I'm personally a big fan of Tae Boxing / Kick Boxing, but also respect all other forms of combat. Standard Boxing with the hands deserves just as much respect as all the other forms. :)

while I dont entirely disagree with you, the term "Martial art" denotes a organized system of fighting or training to fight. So brawling and street fighting is not martial in any way.

Oh, and not to be TOOO picky but this is Thai boxing, as in Thailand. Sorry man, could not help it. As a BIG fan you would want to know that so I hope you dont get offended.

Kensei

Postby Moldaz » Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:08 am

The word "martial" comes from the name of the Roman God of war, Mars.

Boxing is definitely a martial art. A seemingly dying one though, unfortunately.
Of all the things I have lost, I miss my mind the most.
- Mark Twain.
Moldaz
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Return to Boxing, Kickboxing & Muay Thai