Login Sign Up

Kicks

Kicks

Postby Doylerules » Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:45 pm

I have dabbled in muay thai from time to time i like doing it in my off season for wrestling because i much perfer that to get in shape than lifting weights and running every day. I have a question though i have done muay thai for about 2 and a half months in total through the last two years. Everyone in the place i train says i have good hands but i think this accounts alot to my dad he was a olympic caliber boxer in poland and we train from time to time together,he teached me to box enough for me to feel comfortable in a boxing stance and throwing punchs. I got the whole chin down hands up thing drilled into my brain so theirs no problems with me leaving my self unguarded completly and also i have a pretty decent jab but thats because he stresses the jab he loved it when he boxed and he used it to great effect and has a jab as stiff as a broom handle getting ramed into your face.So i feel comfortable throwing punchs and for some realy strange reason i have decent knees too in the clinch i have gotten a hang of it and can use knees pretty good for how much time i spent training in muaythai. So heres the problem when i throw kicks they are pretty slow,and weak and i nearly fall on my ass doing them i feel realy awkward doing them too. Will i learn in time to kick properly or do i have to do somthing in order to get anywere. I serously feel i am making no progress in learning to kick. I am talking round house kicks here my push kick is alright.
highschool Wrestling,boxing and some BJJ
Doylerules
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Re: Kicks

Postby Kensei » Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:32 am

Doylerules wrote: So heres the problem when i throw kicks they are pretty slow,and weak and i nearly fall on my ass doing them i feel realy awkward doing them too. Will i learn in time to kick properly or do i have to do somthing in order to get anywere. I serously feel i am making no progress in learning to kick. I am talking round house kicks here my push kick is alright.

This is actually very common in striking arts. I only trained Thai for a few months but coming from a Karate back ground I had an easy time with most of it.

The best thing to do is focus on kicking and balance for a while. Do ballance drills and practice hitting stuff...not the sofa, but pads and leg kick pads. work slow with good form and then wail on something for power. Leave your hands alone for a week or two, or split up your work out so you do all of your body twice a week and kicks three times a week. Do it at home and at the club. Work on balance and flexibility most of the time and get partners to push you a bit when you are kicking, like physically shove you slightly. This will get your balance down. Dont let them really shove you hard, just enough to make you compensate. Work out hitting things and get a good coach to work with you.

The reason I say coach is that some fighters are shitty coaches and some coaches are shitty fighters. You need someone that knows how to teach others and what to look for. The funniest thing I saw was a guy with a great ring record trying to teach a group of guys and he had NO idea what he was doing. Get a good coach! But work your legs at home, kicks that is, more than hands and look for that balance and flexibility.

Even monkeys fall out of trees!
Kensei

Postby Doylerules » Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:03 am

Thanks Kensai for the good bit of advice. Yeah lol my dad calls the head trainer at the club an idiot and doesnt like how he teachs. My dads realy old school.
Doylerules
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Postby Kensei » Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:59 am

Doylerules wrote:Thanks Kensai for the good bit of advice. Yeah lol my dad calls the head trainer at the club an idiot and doesnt like how he teachs. My dads realy old school.

You should look at the guys track record, what do his other students look like. IF they look like crap then leave, if he has one or two that look good but the rest look like crap leave, they are naturals and would look good with out him. You ant to find a guy you match up well with and a guy you are comfortable training under, not a guy that can not teach!

Kensei

Postby Asa87 » Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:17 pm

alot of people have trouble wth roundhouses, i think it's cos they try and bring power from the leg. Here is my thoughts on how to perfect it, tell me if it helps:

1. Get on the ball of your foot!!!

2. Pivotyour foot outwards, so your heel is facing your other leg.

3. Really WHIP your hip of the kicking leg, snap it.

4. Dont aim to stop your kick at the target, go straight through it in a circle. hence 'roundhouse'.

think of when you hit a tree with an axe, dont swing to stop at the tree, swing to go through it.

hope that helps.
"Simplicity is the key to brilliance" - Bruce Lee

"Imagination is more important than knowledge" - Albert Einstein
Asa87
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby Doylerules » Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:36 pm

Never realy thought of the going through it thing. The thing that gives me most trouble isnt the actual kick if i take my time i can do a decent one but when we do it rapidly on pads i lose my balence after the first kick.
Doylerules
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Postby Kensei » Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:31 am

Asa87 wrote:alot of people have trouble wth roundhouses, i think it's cos they try and bring power from the leg. Here is my thoughts on how to perfect it, tell me if it helps:
1. Get on the ball of your foot!!!
2. Pivotyour foot outwards, so your heel is facing your other leg.
3. Really WHIP your hip of the kicking leg, snap it.
4. Dont aim to stop your kick at the target, go straight through it in a circle. hence 'roundhouse'.
think of when you hit a tree with an axe, dont swing to stop at the tree, swing to go through it.
hope that helps.

That is a good Thai kick, the problem with "going threw it" is when you miss, alot of guys take that literally and end up spinning around and on the street, I GOT'CHA! I would pound the back of your head till you buckle at that point, and have!....well not YOUR head :lol:

The term Round house comes from a Japanese name "Mawashi Geri" which translates as Round kick, when the GI's learned Karate they used to throw "mawashi zuki" or round punches, but the GIs called them Round house punches from boxing. They linked the kick to the punch because they are "similar" and have the same name...thus the round kick became the round house kick! The Thais basically had the same thing occure with them. Ergo a "round kick" is now a "round house kick"... Interestingly a cresent kick is often called "Ura Mawashi Geri" or "soto mawashi geri" or inside round kick/outside round kick.

In Karate and TKD the kick is not swung like a club so the body moves in a circle facing the opposite side, it is used more like a punch with the knee aiming at the target prior to executing the lower leg movement. Makes for more control and with the right timing you loose no hip movement, you create a whipe and not a club! But both ways have possitives and negatives!
The Karate way is not as powerful and more for pin point accuracy, but has a control factor that will allow you to keep your ballance. the Thai style is powerful but lacks the control that the Karate way has. But if you manage to connect with your opponent the damage will be done!

Kensei

Postby Asa87 » Fri Dec 14, 2007 5:29 pm

indeed. you are very wise kensei.

Asa87
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby Asa87 » Fri Dec 14, 2007 5:31 pm

like i said, not sure if the advice i gave is 100% correct technicaly, but it works for me and my kicks are one of my better points.

Oh yea and street fight, my thoughts = BOX AND WRESTLE.

Asa87
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby Jons » Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:50 am

I had balance issues, until my trainer stepped back and realized that I had been leaning back the whole time:p I had to make a conscious effort to learn forward while kicking to keep balanced but got used to it. Maybe you have the same problem and this "idiot" isn't seeing it? Hope that helps :)
Jons
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Postby Asa87 » Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:11 pm

to help balance before kicking, extend the corresponding arm (left kick extend left arm etc), as the leg whips round pull your arm back to put more force into it.

I got taught this when i was 8 at kickboxing, when i went to muay thai, i was told it was just leaving my gaurd open. None the less i think it helped me build a good balance base.

Asa87
Red Belt
Red Belt

Return to Boxing, Kickboxing & Muay Thai