Login Sign Up

Knee and Shin Conditioning for MT

Postby Gurre » Mon Jul 10, 2006 4:29 am

actually, almost all the bones in the body can thicken if the stimulus is correct.
Gurre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ad baculam » Mon Jul 10, 2006 5:59 am

I did not know that. I knew the femur and the shin could. What other bones will thicken, and is the method similar to conditioning the lower leg
ad baculam
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Postby Gurre » Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:02 pm

the body is build like a very complex machine that over time will adapt to the stress you experience. If you don't use your legs, you muscles and bones will almost dissapear. Almost all bone can thicken, like the bones in your lower arm, knoucles etc etc. Although this can produce problems in the hands.
Gurre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ad baculam » Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:25 pm

I would certianly be interested in conditioning my forearms and elbow (i'm a clinch fighter) what would you suggest in addition to heavy and thai bag work?
ad baculam
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Postby stevebags » Mon Jul 10, 2006 4:42 pm

i wouldnt do anything else, i think that is sufficient
"...the man who really counts in the world is the doer, not the mere critic-the man who actually does the work, even if roughly and imperfectly, not the man who only talks or writes about how it ought to be done."

http://www.myspace.com/stevebaggaley
stevebags
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Gurre » Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:54 am

yeah I agree with Steve, that's enough right there.
Gurre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Patrick20 » Wed May 16, 2007 8:10 pm

I agree with Ste. Kicking pads is essential. From soft to hard. The shin is unique as it has a muscle that extends down it. When you raise the foot the muscle automatically contracts/tenses and you can condition that muscle by hitting the bags with the raised foot. Though rolling a minimal tumbler weight down your leg is also good. Remember in a real fight situation you use your shoes when you kick.
Patrick20
White Belt
White Belt

Postby rammsstein » Sat Jun 16, 2007 8:43 am

Hi guys new to the forum, first post, do NOT want hijack thread.

I have done TKD for awile. But in return I have trashed my knees as the topic states. [ Advil is my freind]. Any idea on getting my knees up to speed? I want to start Muay Thai and most kicks tend to cause some pain and I hope not any more damage. Also they have created a real week spot when I am nailed there. TIA

Ramm
rammsstein
White Belt
White Belt

Postby Kuark » Sat Jun 16, 2007 1:55 pm

rammsstein wrote:Hi guys new to the forum, first post, do NOT want hijack thread.

I have done TKD for awile. But in return I have trashed my knees as the topic states. [ Advil is my freind]. Any idea on getting my knees up to speed? I want to start Muay Thai and most kicks tend to cause some pain and I hope not any more damage. Also they have created a real week spot when I am nailed there. TIA

Ramm

When you get your muay thai technique down it shouldnt really put much pressure on your knee, I know people that have somewhat injured knees but can still throw kicks on the bag without it hurting.

My main reason for this post is; has anyone ever tried kicking a tree?
Kuark
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Postby shift » Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:58 am

kick the heavy bag and thai pads. as simple as that
shift
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Postby donovan99 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:32 am

Yes, kick those pads and heavy bags! It took me like 3 months to begin loosing sensitivity, and 6-9 to not feel meaningful pain.

If think I used to punch my chins lightly after class. Some people use sticks. My instructor kicks a "rope-tied-around-a-stick" thing! But he doesnt kick it with full power - he only kicks it at like 10-20% of his power - like a tap.

Its also possible that your chin just keeps hurting but you just get used to it!
I dont know.
donovan99
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Postby bd178 » Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:02 pm

Right, well, I looked on the Muay Thai of America or whatever it's called website, and it claimed that using a rolling pin could cause nerve damage that could lead to cancer. This was the only danger it mentioned. However, science says otherwise:

http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/fact ... es/general

Basically, it says there that bruising and injury does not cause cancer, and nowhere was nerve damage listed as a potential cause. Since the so-called "nerve damage" would be killing one microscopic nerve ending at a time, it would be impractical to think that nerve "damage" is possible. I'm going to guess and say that the term "nerve damage": is meant to refer to spinal nerves.

Arthritis is only caused in the joints and the shin bone is the second largest in the body. It would take quite an idiot to miss it and damage joints while training.

So it is not dangerous to use a rolling pin to kill nerves on your shin.
Last edited by bd178 on Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bd178
White Belt
White Belt

Postby ablinkin » Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:23 am

I dont know if anyone else in here saw the show on TV (Discovery I think) Fight Science was the title. I think its on you tube some where. Anyway one of the big points was the bone density changing with the continual "bashing" of the large bones in the body. As you hit your shins on the heavy bag or a tree over and over, over the course of a few years your bones density actually increases. As it was posted above, your body is a complex machine that will compenstate for our stupidity :). In our training we practice 3 star blocking with a partner for about 30 minutes every other day, we kick the heavy bag with our shins and use PVC pipe wrapped in duck tape to bang our shins.
------------------------------
When your hand is extended withdraw your anger,
When your anger is extended withdraw your hand.
ablinkin
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Postby Mike X » Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:32 am

Yeah i saw that show. It was pretty awesome. I like how they show what does the most damage. The knee in the Thai clinch. :-)
The past is past, but the future is unwritten. History from this moment forward is yours to make.
Mike X
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Postby Elcid » Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:07 am

Ok, so this article really interests me... I would like to know exactly how to use the rolling pin on my shins, and what other exercise your friend mentioned when you spoke to him. Idon't really want to get into the argument above, I just want to know how the rolling pin was used, i.e. type of pin etc. For others who might be interested, in my style of Karate we also use the Muay Thai type of kicks, and we used them a great deal. Hitting to the thighs that is... Long ago, and am 50 years old one of our Shihans was known to have shins of steel, he could break anything with those shins... Anyway he used a rolling pin, and hit a thin red bag that was full of sand, and was as hard as a rock. Trust me, not many people hit it... Ofcourse except the few... The hardcore few... but the ones that did, were the absolute best fighters in the Dojo. Period.. I have bumped into a few of them throughout the years, and we all seem to have had the same problems with our knees, but not one of them complained about their shins. So what type of rolling pin do I use?
Hagakure
Elcid
White Belt
White Belt

PreviousNext

Return to Boxing, Kickboxing & Muay Thai