Login Sign Up

kung fu in fight

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Kung Fu Moderators

Postby JimmysEgo » Tue May 01, 2007 6:58 am

the only reason i would take kung fu is so i can make that wuwuwuwuwu sound when i jump up onto a tree branch.
JimmysEgo
Red Belt
Red Belt

re

Postby khazar » Tue May 01, 2007 3:46 pm

fights. i see muay thai movies and see them getting a huge powerfull kick in the head and think "f**k, i don´t want to get a kick like that", im pretty sure it hurst like hell, and u get problems in the brain.i dont want a martial art to screw me up, i want a hobbie, a self-defence system and a little bit of fighting sparring (fighting in tournaments is someho, out of question coz of the dmg).wing chun seems to fit me, it has the blocking (not resisting, directing the power) but its main principal is the striking.it has sparring, and good for self-defence.about the last one, is it effective?and is the missing of kicks a important part?i would like people to answer and givme theyr opinion about wing chun, please, but other suggestions will be very apreciated, including muay thai.thank u and again soz for allways keep saying and asking new things : P
do it or don´t do it, there is no try...
khazar
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby donovan99 » Wed May 02, 2007 5:43 am

Hmmm - in that case you shouldnt worry. Even if you train in Muay Thai it doesnt mean that you will be getting kicked in the head - at least not in training. And yes, you can receive major blow to the head and get knocked out - but this is also likely to happen in Kung Fu as well. At least Muay Thai trains people to do a strong low kick - and not many people are flexible enough to pull off that high kick - and then - most of those who can kick high are not strong enough to be able to kick the head without preparing the kick (and you will be able to see it coming).

Thats it for high kicks - now, even as a hobby, you can train Muay Thai and never experience a head kick knockout, even if you do a couple of Amateur fights. The reason for this is because for most Amateur fights people are required to wear shin guards and any type of KOs are not likely. Training as a hobby is a good idea if really are concerned about possible brain damage (which would show up later on in life) or you can train Jiu Jitsu and trade the brain damage for arm or leg problems haha - or not train in anything and experience heart problems due to lack of exercise hehe.

My suggestion is that you start training right away on the Martial Art of your liking - for whatever reasons - in this case I think you are interested in Hard Kung Fu (something like Wing Chun perhaps). Try it - see if you like it for a year or two and compare it - try something else (maybe even while you are practicing Wing Chun).

As for your specific questions on Wing Chun - I'm afraid I can't answer them because I have not practiced Wing Chun - only heard great things about it.

Has anyone in this forum experienced Wing Chun??
donovan99
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Postby JimmysEgo » Wed May 02, 2007 8:35 am

i don't like kung fu because you could be a master at the tiger style but some kid that knows the bufferfly style can beat you.
JimmysEgo
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby kitsu526 » Tue May 08, 2007 9:38 pm

Wing Chun is a good kung fu style and combat tai chi.
kitsu526
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Postby Asa87 » Fri May 18, 2007 4:29 pm

I think it all depends on how you fight, if you are agressive or laid back, no matter what martial art you do it will still influence your fighting style and will help you in any way. but the sparring and pad work of MT makes you see openings quicker, fast reaction and good focus for making shots.

alot of fighting ends up different to what imagined tho, like scrappy on the ground.
"Simplicity is the key to brilliance" - Bruce Lee

"Imagination is more important than knowledge" - Albert Einstein
Asa87
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby shift » Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:29 pm

Sanshou and Sanda are kung fu based fighting systems...basically Chinese kickboxing...what is translate d as free hand fighting
shift
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Postby ablinkin » Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:52 am

" i don't like kung fu because you could be a master at the tiger style but some kid that knows the bufferfly style can beat you."

pretty funny :)
most Kung Fu styles teach multiple animal styles (5 animal systems are very popular)

I study Chi Lin and formally Hung Gar, you can still get injured in training, we do the body conditioning (aka kicking solid objects with our shins and arms etc.) I dont think you will take a powerful kick to the head in class unless you pi$$ off your sifu :) Kung Fu in general is very effective in a fight as well as the whole mental benefits side of things[/quote]
------------------------------
When your hand is extended withdraw your anger,
When your anger is extended withdraw your hand.
ablinkin
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Postby Kensei » Thu Jun 21, 2007 5:40 pm

It is the fighter not the style. I have seen some smart Kung fu guys kick butt. and then I have seen some morons with a black belt around thier waste get ass raped on the streets....not litterally!

Even monkeys fall out of trees!
Kensei

Postby ablinkin » Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:00 pm

I was going to say, that is a mental image you would not soon forget :)

I agree it is the fighter, but it is also the instructor..if he sucks the student is likely to suck as well....again not literally.......
ablinkin
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Postby Kensei » Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:50 pm

ablinkin wrote:I was going to say, that is a mental image you would not soon forget :)

I agree it is the fighter, but it is also the instructor..if he sucks the student is likely to suck as well....again not literally.......

good it is not literally....I hope that is not how the instructor promotes his students! :shock:

Even monkeys fall out of trees!
Kensei

ye

Postby khazar » Sat Jun 23, 2007 5:33 am

but the instructor can suck, and the student gets good alone...but of course the instructor if hes sucky will always help the student suck....this is a strange topic right now....
khazar
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby mma fubar » Sat Jun 23, 2007 10:24 am

you could also do combat sambo, that is like half kickboxing, and half wrestling with submissions, also there are no deliberate strikes to the knee joint in kickboxing so if you plan on doing that into old age that may be very beneficial for your bodies health
American Fighter Muay Thai, BJJ, MMA
mma fubar
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

re

Postby khazar » Sat Jun 23, 2007 4:16 pm

hmmm nice...i allready do bjj so it will make my grounf work even better.afraid that there isnt nothing like that in lisbon, but ill search for it, thanks!
khazar
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby ablinkin » Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:58 pm

I hope that is not how the instructor promotes his students!

Kensei,
that takes me back to a scene in the movie Kung Pow

"and now my students you will learn long fist....prepare the long rubber glove!"
ablinkin
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PreviousNext

Return to Tae Kwon Do & Kung Fu