Login Sign Up

Lyoto Machida

Talk about the fighters here.

Moderators: GrappleorWrestle, stevebags, Gurre

Re: Lyoto Machida

Postby qwerty » Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:31 pm

First off, I hope Machida beats Rashad if it ever happens but Rashad has the tools to defeat Machida. Rashad has a chin, he still undefeated (so basically, no one has figured out how to beat him either), he is also elusive with an ever improving boxing and now KO power, he has solid background in wrestling and lastly he has the belt. Having the belt is an important aspect, you are guarenteed the maximum 5 rounds. I think the key to beat Machida is time and wrestling. Get him frustrated. Get him to fight your fight. Take him down, control him and do some G&P.
qwerty
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby fightDR » Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:47 am

Yes I agree with what you are saying bout Rashad but having the best does not mean you are the best. Yes he is undeafeated which is VERY credible when you think of who he has fought. Don't understand what you mean when you said it guarentees you 5 rounds cos the fight could end in 10 secs. Rashad has good but Machida has great BJJ and good wrestling himself so not sure that is the factor. The boxing and his KO power could be the spinner for sure as he has bad ass power. I do agree that if he can get Machida on his back the G&P by Rashad could be a finisher.

I just don't think frustrating Machida is something that will happen, nobody has got even close and even with Rashad being on a tear up of late we know what he has. Machida is a master of tactics and that wins him the fight. Rashad will need EVERY peice of brilliance from Jackson to even take a round from Machida. Unnanamous Decision win for Machida if this fight ever happens and it better bloody happen too.
fightDR
Brown(3) Belt
Brown(3) Belt

Postby Kensei » Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:42 am

this could be a dull ass fight...both fighters trying like nuts to draw the other one in...and no one getting the other to commit! Errrr. could be nasty!
Kensei

Postby qwerty » Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:34 am

FightDR, what I mean is that these two fighters have been known to go the distance (decision victories) - so use past performance usually equals future performance (usually - fhgters do evolve or get old) - so this give Rashad more opportunity (5 rounds) to catch and throw his one punch KO to Machida. I don't think Machida has that one punch power that Rashad posses. Also remember, Rashad has a chin and he has also patience, if anything, he has the wrestling to slow down the fight too and solid conditioning (plus he has Jackson - "Greasegate" on his side). The Fighters that Machida has fought are aggresive fighters that plays in Machida's game. If Rashad doesn't play Machida's game, then I can see him get some frustration. I hope it make some sense into you now.
qwerty
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby fightDR » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:58 am

I do think Rashad has the capability to beat Machida but that is only because of his punching power and speed he throws it. His wrestling is good but I just don't see it over whelming Machida. Rashad has great conditioning yes but I would still give Machida the conditioning edge too. He never even breathes heavy and he never stops loody moving for the whole fight either lol.
I think Rashad will try loading up his KO punch which Machida will avoid. Machida will pick him apart and even though Rashad has much improved stand up his movement is nowhere near where Lyotos is. I even think we will see Machida take Rashad down in this fight and put him on his back (at some point anyway) and with his BJJ being IMO underestimated Machida could sub him. This tactically and me being a Machida fan interests me ALOT. Rashad very much deserves his title right now but Lyoto is also very deserving of his title fight and that IMO results in Machida being Champion.
fightDR
Brown(3) Belt
Brown(3) Belt

Postby qwerty » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:33 am

The thing is, you have never seen Machida fight with the same caliber wrestler as Evans (Evans would be best wrestler he would face if they fight next). The closest thing to a wrestler he has ever face was Tito Ortiz who is a Division II or III wrestler (I forgot) were Rashad is a Division 1 NCAA wrestler a Michigan State big difference there. Evans has an amazing take down percentage. He will be able to take Machida down if he chose.

Another thing to consider is Machida has a karate stands with his arms down chin kind of up. I am telling you, Rashad can KO Machida. Just one punch can do it. It's bloody quick that comes out of no where.

Based on past, you cannot say Machida would be able to submit Rashad if Machida has only submitted one person in his sanction fights. (You cannot count Michael McDonald - he is not an MMA fighter - and absolutely no ground skill).

Listen, I am just playing devils advocate here. I am just trying to figure out how he can be defeated and I think it has to be wrestling and the ability to control him on the ground. Rashad has more than a couple of tools that can possiblity beat him. Honestly, I've been a fan of Machida for a long time. If you do a search here, the first post about Machida was a post by me. I've been following him since he was in K1.
qwerty
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby FEDORisGOD » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:58 pm

Rashad's and Tito's wrestling is even IMO.

Rashad's hands are much better than Tito's IMO. Just watch their fight, the wrestling was back and forth. No clear winner in the clunch dpt.

I knwo one thing though, Rashad had problems with Tito in the wrestling department while Machida stuffed every single Tito TD attempt and took him down himself and elbowed the shit out of Tito's face.

Machida will make amateurs out of Rashad, Forrest and Rampage.
FEDORisGOD

Postby Kensei » Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:19 pm

I agree, but I am admittedly BIAS as Friggin hell!
Kensei

Postby fightDR » Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:48 am

I find it hard not to be Biast in Machidas favor too. I would love to see him become UFC champ and to be the first to defeat Rashad too.

I agree with FiG here, Tito did not out wrestle machida in the slightest and when Tito and Rashad fought the wrestling was even. Rashad will not take machida down at will and nor will he control him IMO. If anything I think that Machida will take Rahad down put him on his back like he did Tito and then Machida could dominate from top position.
Also Machida managed to sub Soku, not the hardest thing in the world to do but he still managed it.

It's the KO power of Rashad that is his biggest weapon in this potential fight IMO. As qwerty pointed out it's very powerful and fast and if it connects could be all over, but landing a haymaker on Lyoto is not easy as we all know.
fightDR
Brown(3) Belt
Brown(3) Belt

Postby Kensei » Tue May 26, 2009 10:07 am

LMAO, what am I the first to say Lyoto is the KING!
Kensei

Postby qwerty » Tue May 26, 2009 10:17 am

Machida is the man! Go Karate!
qwerty
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby DisciplineHopes » Tue May 26, 2009 1:48 pm

[quote="Kensei"]LMAO, what am I the first to say Lyoto is the KING![/quote]
seems as if your the first but surely cant be the last. i dont care who you are, the guy is a freakin beast. whoopin ass left and right!
DisciplineHopes
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby qwerty » Tue May 26, 2009 4:57 pm

Yeah, next up is Rampage Jackson... not sure if he can do anything different.
qwerty
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby fightDR » Thu May 28, 2009 5:48 am

Even with such a talent rich division as the UFC LHW I am still not sure if there is any of them that can beat Machida. The guy is at a different level and we definately have another contender for P4P best fighter.
Me personally I would rather see Rampage Vs. Rashad!!!
fightDR
Brown(3) Belt
Brown(3) Belt

Postby qwerty » Thu May 28, 2009 9:09 am

[quote="fightDR"]Me personally I would rather see Rampage Vs. Rashad!!![/quote]

You will see but it's not what you think:

http://mmafrenzy.com/10506/rampage-and- ... september/

that's right, TUF 10 coaches are Rampage vs Evans and not Rampage vs Machida.
qwerty
Black Belt
Black Belt

PreviousNext

Return to Fighters