Login Sign Up

Matt Hughes

Talk about the fighters here.

Moderators: GrappleorWrestle, stevebags, Gurre

Postby Jewish-Spy » Thu May 01, 2008 11:54 am

just don't tell Hughes where I live. I hate everything about him so obvioulsy he would want to tech me a lesson in violence.
Jewish-Spy
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby GrappleorWrestle » Thu May 01, 2008 8:14 pm

Found a great article about Mr. Hughes. You all should read it.

Little excerpt for you:

"He is an unequivocal supporter of the war in Iraq. He evangelically spreads his Christian values to others. He also struts around with an extremely cocky attitude. All of these factors have led to dramatic drops in approval ratings. No, I’m not talking about President Bush; I'm talking about former UFC welterweight king Matt Hughes."

The rest can be found at:
http://mmarated.com/blogs/blog/20080429 ... s-126.html
Not to cross train cripples the martial arts, without it you can become a mechanic, but never an artist.
- E. Cates

Gold medals aren't really made of gold. They're made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts.
- Dan Gable
GrappleorWrestle
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Kensei » Fri May 02, 2008 5:05 am

GrappleorWrestle wrote:"He is an unequivocal supporter of the war in Iraq. He evangelically spreads his Christian values to others. He also struts around with an extremely cocky attitude. All of these factors have led to dramatic drops in approval ratings. No, I’m not talking about President Bush; I'm talking about former UFC welterweight king Matt Hughes."

Okay, while I am not for the war in Iraq, I suppose everyone can have their thoughts on the whole thing...personally, I feel that the American public was lied to and many people have the wool still afixed over their eyes....But that is just me!
Being Christian and haveign beliefs is great...good for you, Thier is nothing more annoying that a hyper-Christian Thanking God and trying to get you to see it their way....Two words..'SHUT' and 'UP'!
His attitude and Cocky personality is a MAJOR turn off when it comes to Fighter ratings. I like guys like Forrest who happens to be christian and who happens to keep his thoughts to himself.
Hughes is a dick, a very tallented and annoying prick at that.

I can think of ten reasons I dont like him and those are only two of them.

I hope he gets mashed in his next fight then Serra takes and arm like GSP did and snaps it. That boy needs to be retired to the farm!

Even monkeys fall out of trees!
Kensei

Postby fightDR » Fri May 02, 2008 11:42 am

Matt hughes persists on running his mouth and it suprises me when quite a few of his milatage team mates are so different. by that I mean Horn and pat himself.

I like his competitive nature and his hunger to win, but the shit he says about other fighters and seeing him on TUF 4 really pissed me off and i so couldn't wait for GSP to beat his ass. He is still however 1 of the fighters thats great to watch, have always enjoyed his fights exception being the Verissimo fight which he lost by the way...haha imo anyway.
Love all mma, and big UFC fan but I do miss Pride.
Big Supporter or British MMA so a shout out to Micheal Bisbing, Paul Taylor and Dan Hardy who are representing well and makeing their mark in the UFC!!!
fightDR
Brown(3) Belt
Brown(3) Belt

Postby GrappleorWrestle » Fri May 02, 2008 4:52 pm

He comes across that way, but until you meet him in person reserve your comments. And Kensei you can have your own opinions about people talking for their religion. Not only that, but I am pretty sure Matt Hughes wouldn't tell you to shut up.

Also everyone knows that Zuffa edits any interview to use how they see fit. Not only that, but Matt Hughes has a reason to be cocky. With a record like 43-6 and being able to defend his belt like 7 times, unlike any other MW champion, gives him some reason to be a little like that.
Not to cross train cripples the martial arts, without it you can become a mechanic, but never an artist.
- E. Cates

Gold medals aren't really made of gold. They're made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts.
- Dan Gable
GrappleorWrestle
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Kensei » Sat May 03, 2008 8:06 pm

GrappleorWrestle wrote:He comes across that way, but until you meet him in person reserve your comments. And Kensei you can have your own opinions about people talking for their religion. Not only that, but I am pretty sure Matt Hughes wouldn't tell you to shut up.

Also everyone knows that Zuffa edits any interview to use how they see fit. Not only that, but Matt Hughes has a reason to be cocky. With a record like 43-6 and being able to defend his belt like 7 times, unlike any other MW champion, gives him some reason to be a little like that.

First off he is a WW, not a MW. and secondly I am not against faith and religion. I admire those that have their own religious beliefs. I just dont like getting smacked in the face with it. Must be because I great up in a religious home that fell away from the church for specific reasons that left a bad taste in my mouth.

I dont like Hughes attitude based on what you see on TV, what you read about him and what other fighters say about him. I will reserve my thoughts on him a bit. I have never met the guy, but I am not to sure I would want to share a drink with the guy.

Kensei

Postby fightDR » Sun May 04, 2008 3:20 am

I agree that not knowing him does mean that it's truely hard to understand what the guy is truely like, however it's not hard to see his a very cocky and arrogant bastard. Thats not what gets to me about him it's a respect thing or the lack of it he shows to his oppenents.

I also agree that his record in the ww or any division for that matter is amazing and speaks for itself that, but he has been shut up by GSP now and will he learn his lesson I hope so but reserve judgement on that, we will see however when thiago drops his ass.
Big Supporter or British MMA so a shout out to Micheal Bisbing, Paul Taylor and Dan Hardy who are representing well and makeing their mark in the UFC!!!
fightDR
Brown(3) Belt
Brown(3) Belt

Postby GrappleorWrestle » Mon May 05, 2008 7:19 am

This month's issue of Real Fighter has a great article about Matt Hughes actually. He discusses the haters and his future in MMA. Pretty good read.

And yes I know he is a WW, mistype on my part (I am not perfect like some people =)).

Little excerpt from "Blood on the Plow" article by Myatt Murphy in RealFighter magazine.

I've been told that some people think I'm an egomaniac, when in reality I'm the exact opposite. I don't care about the record books. I don't care what people say before or after a match. What really matters to me is that I get my hand raised at the end of the fight, because at heart, I just love to compete."

To the naysayers who still think he sometimes comes off as a bit of a jerk. Hughes admits that he might be to blame - at least part of him, that is. "My biggest problem is that my face always gives me away," he confesses. "I tend to say or project whatever I'm thinking, so what you see is what you get with me, no doubt about it. If I don't like you, then you're going to know it. If I do like you then I'm going to tease you. That's why the reality show loves me - because I can't hide my emotions."
- E. Cates

- Dan Gable
GrappleorWrestle
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby fightDR » Mon May 05, 2008 7:31 am

GrappleorWrestle wrote:This month's issue of Real Fighter has a great article about Matt Hughes actually. He discusses the haters and his future in MMA. Pretty good read.

And yes I know he is a WW, mistype on my part (I am not perfect like some people =)).

Little excerpt from "Blood on the Plow" article by Myatt Murphy in RealFighter magazine.

I've been told that some people think I'm an egomaniac, when in reality I'm the exact opposite. I don't care about the record books. I don't care what people say before or after a match. What really matters to me is that I get my hand raised at the end of the fight, because at heart, I just love to compete."

To the naysayers who still think he sometimes comes off as a bit of a jerk. Hughes admits that he might be to blame - at least part of him, that is. "My biggest problem is that my face always gives me away," he confesses. "I tend to say or project whatever I'm thinking, so what you see is what you get with me, no doubt about it. If I don't like you, then you're going to know it. If I do like you then I'm going to tease you. That's why the reality show loves me - because I can't hide my emotions."

Well its a mag i read so will surely read it sooner or later. He is definatly right about the reality show though, it may have done him so,e good being on it but as for how people perseve him not good. I to speak it like it is and he really did come across to quote from Serra 'a dick'. lol.
fightDR
Brown(3) Belt
Brown(3) Belt

Postby Kensei » Mon May 05, 2008 7:39 am

LMAO, I love the double talk! :lol:

Kensei

Postby fightDR » Mon May 05, 2008 7:40 am

oh come on man give the guy a break and please make it his arm lol, not that i have anything against him really just really want to see thiago do him.
fightDR
Brown(3) Belt
Brown(3) Belt

Postby famedbauwow » Mon May 05, 2008 8:50 am

Hughes is alright, just arrogant, most dominate athletes are in some way, comes with the territory, not liking him for religion or war beliefs is just dumb, he has the right toan opionion, as for his fight with Alves, bad matchup for him, that guy hits hard, i dont c him taking Alves down. I see a KO for Alves, after that i hope he kills Serra then retires, i cant stand Serra, just another east coast prick. Im not sure why hes even taking this fight with Alves. Id actually like to see him and BJ penn fight again, there at 1-1, and a good promotion for the UFC, but Hughes wont ever win the belt again. Just an entertainer at this point, kinda like Franklin.
famedbauwow
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Postby fightDR » Mon May 05, 2008 8:57 am

famedbauwow wrote:Hughes is alright, just arrogant, most dominate athletes are in some way, comes with the territory, not liking him for religion or war beliefs is just dumb, he has the right toan opionion, as for his fight with Alves, bad matchup for him, that guy hits hard, i dont c him taking Alves down. I see a KO for Alves, after that i hope he kills Serra then retires, i cant stand Serra, just another east coast prick. Im not sure why hes even taking this fight with Alves. Id actually like to see him and BJ penn fight again, there at 1-1, and a good promotion for the UFC, but Hughes wont ever win the belt again. Just an entertainer at this point, kinda like Franklin.

Why would you think Serra is a prick but Hughes is alright. Do you not like New Yorkers or something? or is there a better reason for it, or is it just you running your dumb ass mouth again saying crap, (which of course is the one thing yoyu seem to do well).
You always preach to everyone here for not liking americans, which you are now calling Serra a prick for being from the east coast of america. what is it with you man do you just hate everyone outside your town with the exception of tito of course!
fightDR
Brown(3) Belt
Brown(3) Belt

Postby qwerty » Mon May 05, 2008 11:19 am

This is definately Alves right of passage. Defeating Hughes will get him a title shot. I really do not know why Hughes took this fight.

Personally I would've loved to see Serra vs. Hughes and Alves vs. Fitch instead. :)
qwerty
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby GrappleorWrestle » Mon May 05, 2008 12:15 pm

Hughes took the fight because Dana White called him for a favor. Hughes is someone that will fight anyone and he isn't afraid to lose.

But yeah Hughes better not try to make the mistake of standing like has done in the past. He better just stick with what he is great at and do it. That's how he is the most dominant WW ever. Well, until GSP passes him.
- E. Cates

- Dan Gable
GrappleorWrestle
Black Belt
Black Belt

PreviousNext

Return to Fighters