Login Sign Up

Matt Hughes

Talk about the fighters here.

Moderators: GrappleorWrestle, stevebags, Gurre

Postby fightDR » Tue May 06, 2008 5:15 am

I dont see him standing with alves at all. not saying he will get the take down easy or even at all as alves has good defense. I would like to see hughes get KO'd but I'm not sure how this one will go.

When chuck dropped out the London dard was shit and i am going and really wanted a good main event. This one mre than makes up for it even surpasses it IMO. This is a perfect chance for thiago to get into title run and chance for hughes to do whatever he wants if he wins cos after serra the UFC will be his oyster.
Love all mma, and big UFC fan but I do miss Pride.
Big Supporter or British MMA so a shout out to Micheal Bisbing, Paul Taylor and Dan Hardy who are representing well and makeing their mark in the UFC!!!
fightDR
Brown(3) Belt
Brown(3) Belt

Postby Kensei » Tue May 06, 2008 6:16 am

fightDR wrote:I dont see him standing with alves at all. not saying he will get the take down easy or even at all as alves has good defense. I would like to see hughes get KO'd but I'm not sure how this one will go.

When chuck dropped out the London dard was shit and i am going and really wanted a good main event. This one mre than makes up for it even surpasses it IMO. This is a perfect chance for thiago to get into title run and chance for hughes to do whatever he wants if he wins cos after serra the UFC will be his oyster.

I dont agree with you, with respect!

I think that the replacement fight of Hughes v Thiago is crap! It does not really mean anything but is a poor make up fight. The UFC has 12 cards a year, one card should always have a title shot on it and a second big fight. This card does not have that. Chuck Vs Rua would have been fairly big and would have shown a clear winner for the title shot...after Forrest gets eaten up by Rampage.

now as for Thiago v Hughes, If Thiago wins that may put him in line for a title shot, and probably would. But if Hughes wins he gets Serra! big deal and if he beats Serra are we going to have to watch Hughes V GSP 4?? And as far as being his oyster, I dont think so. hughes is one step away from packing it in. I think this fight is his swan song before the end. And I think his fight with Serra will be a after thought of retirement. he will kill serra and march back to the farm...no oysters here...unless they are prarie oysters! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Even monkeys fall out of trees!
Kensei

Postby GrappleorWrestle » Tue May 06, 2008 7:21 am

Kensei is right. Hughes said he has maybe, maybe 3 fights, but not more than 6 left in him. He says he has less than two years left in the sports, competing wise. But he did say he plans on coaching for as long as he can.

Also, it doesn't matter if he wins or loses this fight he still gets Serra.

But I know what you are saying about GSP vs. Hughes 4. When Hughes beats Alves and then beats Serra what is left? Are they going to give him one of the other young pups and say whomever wins gets a title shot? Then if Hughes does get the title shot and wins that means people will be yelling for rubber match and we will see GSP vs. Hughes 5.

Hey it COULD happen. If anything we have learned over the past year or so is that it could.
Not to cross train cripples the martial arts, without it you can become a mechanic, but never an artist.
- E. Cates

Gold medals aren't really made of gold. They're made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts.
- Dan Gable
GrappleorWrestle
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby fightDR » Tue May 06, 2008 7:37 am

I would have loved to see Chuch Vs Rua but at that time i wasn't sure i would be going. The liddell vs evans fight i really did not care about.

The Alves Vs Hughes fight might not mean lot to hughes as his next match is serra regardless but for alves this is huge and would rather see him earn a title fight instead of rashad.

As for hughes if he wins and then goes to beat serra like i believe he will then the UFC will give him whatever he wants. Not saying e will take them up on it as i believe he will want to leave the sport a winner and prob want to avoid GSP. He would be better fighting an up and coming fighter getting some headlines maybe beat an established figher like diego or kos for a repectable win.

I really as looking forward to Alves Vs hughes, i think it will be a good fight and as for just pure entertainment value its prob better than chuck rashad.
Big Supporter or British MMA so a shout out to Micheal Bisbing, Paul Taylor and Dan Hardy who are representing well and makeing their mark in the UFC!!!
fightDR
Brown(3) Belt
Brown(3) Belt

Postby Kensei » Wed May 07, 2008 5:50 am

My thoughts are that the UFC wont put a GSP v Hughes fight together because they can not sell GSP v Hughes 4! and if Hughes wins and wants to retire they wont like that much. Seeing as the UFC is a company put together to make money and promote the MMA world, they can not seriously think of that fight as making any long term money for the company. If Silva thinks it is a good fight set up he is on Crack!

Kensei

Postby GrappleorWrestle » Wed May 07, 2008 7:03 am

Hughes has talked about trying out the MW division before....
Not to cross train cripples the martial arts, without it you can become a mechanic, but never an artist.
- E. Cates

Gold medals aren't really made of gold. They're made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts.
- Dan Gable
GrappleorWrestle
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby fightDR » Wed May 07, 2008 11:36 am

I love to watch hughes but i dont want to c him at mw, he as good as he is wont last against the elite. Size aint everything but the bigger guys in the mw top 5 will kill him. He has already indicated he has only few fights left in him, thiago, serra then he should fight the guys he never did and show his dominance. Even fight Penn again as he is on fire at the moment.
fightDR
Brown(3) Belt
Brown(3) Belt

Postby Jewish-Spy » Sat May 17, 2008 8:38 am

Hughes needs to be despised.
Jewish-Spy
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby fightDR » Sat May 17, 2008 10:56 pm

Jewish-Spy wrote:Hughes needs to be despised.

Why would you say that? he is hardly finished...still one of the TOP fighters in WW and not just in the UFC in the world. Not saying he gonna dominate the Division or anything but I would never count him out.
fightDR
Brown(3) Belt
Brown(3) Belt

Postby famedbauwow » Wed May 21, 2008 2:05 pm

Hughes is still top nothch, hes a good test for Alves, c if he really is tittle material, but i like to watch Hughes fight, he does need to fight serra then Penn for the grudge match. But anyone who think a hall of fame fighter with Hughes credentuals needs to despire just is an ignorant clown. Hughes must have beat down one of his favorite fighters.
famedbauwow
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Postby Kensei » Wed May 21, 2008 2:22 pm

famedbauwow wrote:Hughes is still top nothch, hes a good test for Alves, c if he really is tittle material, but i like to watch Hughes fight, he does need to fight serra then Penn for the grudge match. But anyone who think a hall of fame fighter with Hughes credentuals needs to despire just is an ignorant clown. Hughes must have beat down one of his favorite fighters.

You need to learn to read....He did NOT say "despire" he said "despised"....And I may not like the guy, but I dont despise him!

Kensei

Postby fightDR » Wed May 21, 2008 11:36 pm

famedbauwow wrote:Hughes is still top nothch, hes a good test for Alves, c if he really is tittle material, but i like to watch Hughes fight, he does need to fight serra then Penn for the grudge match. But anyone who think a hall of fame fighter with Hughes credentuals needs to despire just is an ignorant clown. Hughes must have beat down one of his favorite fighters.

Wow, bauwow made a point not totally stupid. It is a good test for Alves but i don't agree he needs to fight Penn after Serra. Penn needs to establish himself as the best LW in the world if he beats sherk or work on getting that crown back if he loses.

Also how can you talk about anyone being and ignorant clown come on bro please, don't think your in the position to do that. Pot calling the kettle black I think comes to mind.
fightDR
Brown(3) Belt
Brown(3) Belt

Postby mma-video » Thu May 22, 2008 6:17 am

Anyone know if Hughes = PPV buys? I enjoyed him getting choked out by GSP but generally I don't look forward to his fights...
mma-video
White Belt
White Belt

Postby GrappleorWrestle » Thu May 22, 2008 7:59 am

Hughes has saved PPV events for the UFC before, and they called him again this time. So he must be doing something.
- E. Cates

- Dan Gable
GrappleorWrestle
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby fightDR » Thu May 22, 2008 8:33 am

With Chuck not fighting on the London Card I am genuinly happy that HUghes Vs Alves has taken the main event. It sucked when I thought i was gonna watch Chuck Vs Rashad would have liked him against Shogun though but that another story.
Hughes has made this card creditable for me now so I cant knock the guy at this point, (hopefully not able to after the fight too).
fightDR
Brown(3) Belt
Brown(3) Belt

PreviousNext

Return to Fighters