Association Team Hughes/HIT Squad
Height 5'9 (175cm)
Weight 170lbs (77kg)
Style Wrestling
Birth Date 10/13/73
City Hillsboro
State Illinois
Country USA

Matthew Allen Hughes was born on October 13, 1973, in Hillsboro, Illinois, and he is a professional mixed martial arts fighter and former 2-time UFC World Welterweight Champion. A long-time member of Miletich Fighting Systems, Hughes left the Miletich camp in late 2007 to start Team Hughes. Team Hughes fights out of H.I.T. Squad, a Granite City, Illinois gym, which he co-owns with teammate and current EliteXC Middleweight champion Robbie Lawler, Matt Pena, and Marc Fiore. He holds notable wins over BJ Penn, Georges St. Pierre, Frank Trigg (twice), Royce Gracie, Hayato Sakurai, Akihiro Gono, Joe Riggs, Chris Lytle, Carlos Newton and Sean Sherk.

Hughes' successful career in the UFC may be reaching an end however. At the end of UFC 79 he hinted at it possibly being his last time in the cage citing his family and a focus on a second book. However a bout has been confirmed for UFC 85 against Thiago Alves.
Not to cross train cripples the martial arts, without it you can become a mechanic, but never an artist.
- E. Cates

Gold medals aren't really made of gold. They're made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts.
- Dan Gable
GrappleorWrestle
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby qwerty » Thu May 29, 2008 11:49 am

Before he retires, they need to be a Hughes vs Serra and/or Hughes vs Penn III! It would be a crime he bails out on either of them.
qwerty
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby fightDR » Thu May 29, 2008 11:57 am

He is going to fight Serra no doubt about it...I believe it has actually been signed and agreed upon by both guys. Not really interested in Hughes Vs Penn 3.

I think he will Destroy Serra, knowing he would lose to GSP again I see him retiring after that. Unless the UFC can throw a curve ball at him, something like they did when they gave him Royce. Maybe bring someone in for him or someone out of retirement. Pity he didn't fall out more with Miletach that would have been awesome....LOL. That for me would be the only thing that could feed his ego enough to keep him around.
Love all mma, and big UFC fan but I do miss Pride.
Big Supporter or British MMA so a shout out to Micheal Bisbing, Paul Taylor and Dan Hardy who are representing well and makeing their mark in the UFC!!!
fightDR
Brown(3) Belt
Brown(3) Belt

Postby fightDR » Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:23 am

ok, i hate to say this cos of all he has done and achieved but I think after his almost Grudge Match with Serra it might be time for Hughes to call it a day. It's very unlikely he will ever get to the top of the WW again and he doesn't belong boarding on top 5.
It's what I think he will do too, then as soon as he does he should then go straight into the UFC hall of fame.

The question is know what for Alves, 2 Big stoppages in his last 2 fights against QUALITY fighters in Karo and Hughes. There is no doubt he is 3rd ranked WW now, with 1 and 2 being GSP and Fitch respectivly. I don't think he needs another fight for me he should be officially named as the next No 1 contender and get the winner of GSP and Fitch, no doubt in my mind there.
Big Supporter or British MMA so a shout out to Micheal Bisbing, Paul Taylor and Dan Hardy who are representing well and makeing their mark in the UFC!!!
fightDR
Brown(3) Belt
Brown(3) Belt

Postby GrappleorWrestle » Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:31 pm

this win definitely put him in title contention. if he doesn't get his shot, which he will, it would be a shame.
Not to cross train cripples the martial arts, without it you can become a mechanic, but never an artist.
- E. Cates

Gold medals aren't really made of gold. They're made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts.
- Dan Gable
GrappleorWrestle
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Master-Doug » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:28 pm

Matt Hughes should just stop fighting.
I have a lot of respect for Matt but He is not as good as he used to be and he already fought too much, he should just coach or something
Master-Doug
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Postby qwerty » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:32 pm

He is terrible at coaching too.... he should just tend to his farm and become a preacher.
qwerty
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Master-Doug » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:36 pm

hahahhahah yeahh i remember him coaching Ultimate Fighter like you said him and D. Henderson should tend to his farm
Master-Doug
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Postby Kensei » Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:34 am

Master-Doug wrote:hahahhahah yeahh i remember him coaching Ultimate Fighter like you said him and D. Henderson should tend to his farm

The major diffences between Hendo and Matt are....

Dan has evolved from being just a wrestler to a good Muay Thai and Jitsu guy, Matt...good wrestler.

Dan is a great coach and has some fantastic fighters come out of his camp...Matt...Good wrestler.

Dan works hard and could get a UFC strap in the future, the guy is a monster and has power in his strikes, is a great take down and GNP guy and can sub you at any minute...Matt....good wrestler.

Dan does not push religion but does his little "thanks to God" stuff at the end of the match....Matt...good wrestler that annoys the hell out of me with his religious crapola.

Dan has owned both the Middle weight and LHW straps in PRIDE and is seen as top of the barrel still, Matt.....Good wrestler and used to be champ.

Dan takes and eats Matts lunch all day man! :wink:

Even monkeys fall out of trees!
Kensei

Postby Master-Doug » Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:51 am

well I don't know
I don't think Dan Henderson is all that.
You are probably his fan, thats why you're saying all this.
I'm not gonna lie, he is a good fighter but he is not that awesome like you are saying.
Master-Doug
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Postby Kensei » Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:59 am

Master-Doug wrote:well I don't know
I don't think Dan Henderson is all that.
You are probably his fan, thats why you're saying all this.
I'm not gonna lie, he is a good fighter but he is not that awesome like you are saying.

actually, I am not a fan of Dans. but I respect his skills and actually watch fights before I pass judgement on a guy!

Kensei

Postby GrappleorWrestle » Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:20 am

Matt Hughes has talked about going up a weight class to and see how that goes, but seeing as he is only going to fight 2-3 more times...

But if he did go up and Hendo stayed at 185....
- E. Cates

- Dan Gable
GrappleorWrestle
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Kensei » Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:45 am

Hughes will retire after facing Serra...Mark my words dude is done.

Kensei

Postby Latvian Lunatic » Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:01 pm

HHe's eluded to it. The only way he stays is to come out and smash Serra in devastating fashion. There are good fights for him. But, it's against Diego, Fitch and the smaller grapplers.
Image ImageImage
Latvian Lunatic
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby fightDR » Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:11 pm

I agree with kensie, I think he will want to Destroy Serra which i think he will after that I think he will Retire. He has done all he can and will imediatly be inducted into the UFC hall of fame, Justified too i think it would be.
fightDR
Brown(3) Belt
Brown(3) Belt

Return to Fighters