Login Sign Up

Merry Christmas...er Solstice!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Merry Christmas...er Solstice!

Postby Kensei » Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:09 pm

For some of you the truth may be hard to hear, I remember telling a born again Christian the truth and almost had to beat them off with a club! No, I did not debate if Jesus was real or lived…that is a whole other conversation, I was telling them that he was NOT born on Christmas day. See, having taken a keep interest in Christian history in University I kind of find it funny that most of what “devout Christians” are doing have more roots in Pagan ritual than real early church ritual.

I know this is a fight forum but I felt It might be interesting to actually talk about some things that are not fight related on Christmas Eve! So, let me share some knowledge that probably will not serve you all very well at all, but will let you win a trivia contest against some others….so, here is your run down of “new” or “stolen” Christian/Christmas things that come from other sources.

Christmas is NOT Christ’s birthday. Actually he was probably born in September during the middle east’s fall season. The reason that December was selected has more to do with the early churches want to assimilate the early Pagans. The date was selected by them taking the winter solstice and incorporating a small fib. Christ was born when Shepherds were tending their flocks…not something you find in the cold Judean winter. The Roman festival of the Winter Solstice, a Babylonian feast for the son of Isis were mixed together to form the modern date for Christ’s birth. Both original feasts included gift giving a meal and singing as the norms, the Church was not going to let the Pagans do this with out attributing it to the son of God or God himself.

The practice of going door to door and caroling was also not an invention of the “Christian” Kingdome. The Germanic tribes to the north would have dancers and singers go door to door during the ritual party to the Pagan Sun God Mithras! The Celebration was known as “Yule” It was customary to light a candle on this day as well, Huge Yule logs also burned in honor of the sun God, another tradition abducted by the early church!

My favorite tradition at Christmas was to corner the young ladies under the mistle toe and steel a kiss…YUP PEGAN! Mistletoe was seen as a sacred plant and the custom of kissing under the plant was a fertility ritual. The Holly Berries that are attached to the mistle toe are seen as food of the gods!

Those big green reminders of Christmas, the Tree is also the universal symbol back in the old days for the Winter Solstice! Live Evergreen trees were often brought into homes during the harsh winters as a reminder to inhabitants that soon the crops would grow again. The Druids used the tree as a religious symbol and holding many special ceremonies around huge trees was normal. The first record of decorating a Christmas tree was in 1521 in Germany and the church actually said it was a blasphemy at the time!
It was Pope Julius the first who fist declared that the birthday of Christ would be celebrated on December 25th, He picked the day to try and make it as painless as possible for Roman Pagans to convert to Christianity. Oh, and the pagans out numbered the christens 10 to one at the time! The new religion went down a log easier knowing that much of their celebrations would not be taken from them! This was in the year 350…that’s 350 years after Christ…that’s a long time without a birthday!

Even monkeys fall out of trees!
Kensei

Re: Merry Christmas...er Solstice!

Postby Kensei » Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:56 am

who was the first president then?

Kensei

Postby qwerty » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:15 pm

Awesome... can you also explain the history of Kwanzaa, Hanukkah and Ashura?
qwerty
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Kensei » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:21 pm

Yes I can...but you can google it as easy as me! :)

Kensei

Postby qwerty » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:48 pm

but i much prefer your versions more interesting! :) anyway, when I want to google Kwanzaa, Hanukkah and Ashura I want to take me to this site!
qwerty
Black Belt
Black Belt

Return to Off Topic