Login Sign Up

Mike Bisping

Talk about the fighters here.

Moderators: GrappleorWrestle, stevebags, Gurre

Re: Mike Bisping

Postby Asa87 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:03 am

Yea I agree he looked good, he did good.. just in a bit of a boring way. I understand that was his plan etc etc and he executed it very well, used the jab well, used the octagon well and was hard for leben to catch.
Asa87
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby GrappleorWrestle » Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:57 pm

It's probably because 16 of his wins have come by way of (T)KO or submission via strikes. And this time he decided to go for a UD. I give him props for winning, but I don't have to like his methods. If the judges actually scored aggression and octagon more Leben could have easily won that way.

One of the reasons I liked PRIDE better. The rules and scoring were just better. Also, the cards the fighters got when they were not being aggressive. That was great.

I would like to see more out of Bisping against better opponents.
Not to cross train cripples the martial arts, without it you can become a mechanic, but never an artist.
- E. Cates

Gold medals aren't really made of gold. They're made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts.
- Dan Gable
GrappleorWrestle
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby DiceandSlice » Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:22 pm

I agree with you GOW on the cards in pride that was a good way to make sure the fighters were aggressive because that took away a percentage of there purse for the fight so that will defenitly motivate you to be aggresive. That would have made some of the fights in ufc better no one like to have their money taken away.
DiceandSlice
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby Kensei » Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:14 am

GOW, is dead right. I think the yellow card and pay rate cuts would push the fights. Guys like Starns would have had his running man marathone given to us for free, he would have been cut down to no money paid out. And Bisping would have had to of faught for a win not just a Judges nod.

I have no problem with judges nods if it is a fight like Wandi and Chuck had. Those guys pounced on each other and pounded the piss out of each other!

But fighting for a decision is kind of crappy, even if you show some great striking while doing it!
Kensei

Postby qwerty » Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:47 am

Yeah, SCREW STRADEGY! Go in there against your own element and get KOed! Just stand and bang when you are a grappler -who cares! If you are not getting hit you ain't trying! Curse you all Machida and Machida wannabes - just start swinging for the fences! ~ Hopefully you read my sarcasm. :)
qwerty
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby fightDR » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:40 am

I miss pride for so many reasons and the Yellow card rule is definatly 1 of them...was a great rule and would like to see the UFC incorporate it or a version of but then I would worry about fights being stood up to often or guyslike machida being very unfairly penalised by shit refs.
fightDR
Brown(3) Belt
Brown(3) Belt

Postby Kensei » Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:55 am

[quote="qwerty"]Yeah, SCREW STRADEGY! Go in there against your own element and get KOed! Just stand and bang when you are a grappler -who cares! If you are not getting hit you ain't trying! Curse you all Machida and Machida wannabes - just start swinging for the fences! ~ Hopefully you read my sarcasm. :)[/quote]
I did, I also think that you are kind of on to something. I mean a fighter should be fighting for the decisive win, not a judges nod. Not only is that dangerous but it is gutless. Yah, if you win a uni D then you can say you dominated, but in a fourth or sixth round you would have kicked it in and TKO/Subbed the guy out. Really a good fight that goes to a Decision is one were both guys defense is set up with an aggressive offense and you cant finnish the other guy.....but you tried.

Saying "I was going for the decision" is like saying "I was not willing to win, just do as little as possible to get more money for the night"...Go play foot ball you wanker! Thats what I say!
Kensei

Postby Kensei » Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:58 am

[quote="fightDR"]I miss pride for so many reasons and the Yellow card rule is definatly 1 of them...was a great rule and would like to see the UFC incorporate it or a version of but then I would worry about fights being stood up to often or guyslike machida being very unfairly penalised by shit refs.[/quote]

Again, Machida is busy in his moving laterally and diagonal to the line of force. Guys like Bisping and others just step back and jab or just run back. It makes for a dull fight and one that ticks off the other guy more than anything.

Now if Bisping had done this type of work for the first two rounds then tried to push it in the third I would say it was a good stratagy to make Chris punch himself out.....Personally I think he was scared of that powerful right of Lebens.
Kensei

Postby fightDR » Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:20 am

I said guys like machida being 'VERY UNFAIRLY' penalised just because alot of the dumb ass refs and especially dumb ass fans don't understand his strategy and skill. At no time did I say anything to compare Bispings strategy to anything that Machida has done or does. Although I don't agree that Bisping ran or put on a dull fight the fact that he said he went for a decision win not a finish does take the shine off a performance that I thought was good but after hearing what he said turns it into a mediocre display.
fightDR
Brown(3) Belt
Brown(3) Belt

Postby DarkHorse » Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:10 pm

Solid fighter, but he still has a lot to prove. It looks his next fight will be against just that since he will be fighting the American coach on TUF 9 which will either be Frankin or Hendo dependign on who wins their match!
DarkHorse
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Postby Kensei » Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:08 pm

Mike Bisping has a lot of growth that he needs to do in some very specific areas of his game were he is going to suffere when he starts stepping up in challenge. First off his BJJ is pretty much lacking...to be nice, and then strategy is a bit weak.
Kensei

Postby fightDR » Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:28 am

Bisping does have a weak BJJ game as fas as submitting guys, but he does have the ability to stay out of submissions. His game on the ground is to 'G'n'P' plain and simple which if you look at his UFC career has worked well for him with a good stoppage of Eric Schafer, Jason Day and Elvis Sinocic.
The one thing about him that I have noticed alot more since he came to the UFC is that even though he is a good striker he does not have KO power. Most of his stoppage wins have come via ref stoppage because of a flurry of strikes rather than fewer devastating 1s.

As for his tactics in the cage I wouldn't say they are lacking, He is winning his fights and I still think looking good in them. I would however rather see him move and train with a better camp. I would love to see him go to AKA, ATT or even MFSE like Ian Freeman did. I think it would give him better coaches and training partners.
fightDR
Brown(3) Belt
Brown(3) Belt

Postby Kensei » Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:16 am

He is not what you would call "well rounded" to say the least. and many guys do well as one or two D fighters, but lets face it, until he finds a camp, as you stated, that works his weakerthans he wont be able to beat some of the top guys. The WORST thing for him right now would be to have to face a Nate Marquardt or worse yet a Anderson silva in some promo fight that basically ends him in the UFC. His striking was always exciting, now it is dull and trodding. The only time he turns it on is when he is in the GNP and that can be dull!

Best thing for bisping would be for him to get hungry to win again in a way that did not look....dull!
Kensei

Postby fightDR » Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:14 am

He has always been hungry to win, but I would love to see him come into a fight looking to dominate a guy and not just beat him but whoop his ass. Bisping has the tools to be a great fighter but I do think he needs a coach and to be in a camp to help get him there.

I wouldn't say he is well rounded just because we all now what he is going to do in a fight and what he doesn't want to do. His ground game isn't good enough for him to be anywhere other than top position and when his is there it's going to be GnP and thats bout it.

I don't for 1 sec think he is ready for Anderson Silva and I would have to say that Franklin and Hendo are too much for him too. He does however need to be stepping up in competition and so whether he wins or loses I want to see him against the better guys in the division. I think he might come unstuck but noone I think will dominate him as he is a top fighter with great heart and skills.

As for being a TUF coach, I would have to say NO. He doesn't have the skills or experience to teach and mould the up and comers. However this is a great break through for UK MMA, so for that I am pleased.
fightDR
Brown(3) Belt
Brown(3) Belt

Postby DarkHorse » Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:23 pm

I think a better fight for him at this point would be someone like Marquardt. He'd be just the guy to see where Bisping is. Marquardt isn't as huge a hurdle as Franklin or Hendo but he's still a tough opponent in the MW division. Oh well, its not like the fight is going to happen. Bisping going against Hendo/Franklin is already set in stone...
DarkHorse
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PreviousNext

Return to Fighters