Login Sign Up

MMA conditioning vs. boxing

MMA conditioning vs. boxing

Postby joet » Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:09 pm

what I don't understand is, why do the MMA fighters get so tired? Why can't they get in shape like boxers?
http://www.FROMTHECAGE.com

...for all the fight news online!
joet
White Belt
White Belt

Re: MMA conditioning vs. boxing

Postby qwerty » Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:14 pm

joet wrote:what I don't understand is, why do the MMA fighters get so tired? Why can't they get in shape like boxers?

For many reasons: boxing is one dimension of style of fighting, they have shorter rounds, have more breaks, they train to go to the distance are just a few of examples.
qwerty
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Jons » Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:14 am

I'm joining in on this!
Dont muay thai fighters train to "go the distance" also?
Jons
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Postby Sub-Zero » Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:16 am

Here is your answer, Joet.

MM Artists have to work on every or most aspects of the game. A fighter has to work on: Striking, Ground game, Wrestling, Muay Thai etc. When you have to keep transitioning through all of the aspects in a fast-paced 5 minute round, you will get tired. For boxing, as QWERTY said, it is one-dimensional. Boxers are very slow-paced and can limit the energy that is being expended during any round. If that happened in MMA, the fighter would have problems during every aspect of the fight and even on the scorecards.
I`m sure that as long as Fedor keeps training at the same level and with the same determination as he does now, he`ll continue to have no equals in Pride or anywhere else.

-Voronov.

It's showtime!

-Hamill
Sub-Zero
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Postby Kuark » Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:51 pm

As stated above you exert so much more energy in MMA mainly because of the ground you expend alot of energy on both takedowns and trying to create/close distance on the ground. It takes alot of energy to pry someone off you from half guard or mount. For example at my gym after 6 minutes of muay thai sparring I am a little winded but really I could go for another 10 before I collapse, after 6 minutes of MMA I feel like I am ready to die.
Kuark
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Postby ad baculam » Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:39 pm

Also, let's not forget that rounds one, two, and three in most Boxing matches are used only to feel out the opponent. real action usually dosen't start till round four. They train and fight for 10 rounds, which means they don't fight hard until about halfway through

In MMA you fight hard right from the start. And I agree that the longer rounds and ground work have something to do with it as well.
ad baculam
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Postby Sub-Zero » Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:02 pm

Joet, Did we answer your question?
I`m sure that as long as Fedor keeps training at the same level and with the same determination as he does now, he`ll continue to have no equals in Pride or anywhere else.

-Voronov.

It's showtime!

-Hamill
Sub-Zero
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Postby Asa87 » Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:48 am

i think wrestling is harder (stamina wise) than stand up striking. because if you relax for one second while wrestling someone will capitalize on a limb and work on a submission. while when standing up you can hold an opponent of with a jab, work around the ring etc.
"Simplicity is the key to brilliance" - Bruce Lee

"Imagination is more important than knowledge" - Albert Einstein
Asa87
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby joet » Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:16 am

sorry, been away for a while.

so, boxers are one dimensional, mma is multifaceted with longer rounds,

but...why can't they get in shape for what they are supposed to be preparing for?
http://www.FROMTHECAGE.com

...for all the fight news online!
joet
White Belt
White Belt

Postby ad baculam » Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:48 am

it's like comparing sprinters and marathon runners. like saying why can't a sprinter sprint for 26 miles. why is the sprinter tired after lony 200 meters?

It's all about pace. strikers can pace themselves and take it slow and easy for the first three rounds. In MMA it's full force all the time.
ad baculam
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Postby Minatour » Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:53 am

Lol, its because all boxers have to worry about is there boxing and conditioning. They havent got to worry about all the different aspects of mma, this is what makes mma so beautiful, all the aspects!!!
"The ground is an ocean, I'm the shark, and most people don't even know how to swim." Jean-Jacques Machado
Minatour
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby imraan1 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:06 pm

why is it i cant read any posts?
imraan1
White Belt
White Belt

Postby bryan_hel » Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:24 pm

its also about how hard they train sean sherk tito when he was young and matt hughes dont get tired in their fights funny how they are all wrestlers
bryan_hel
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby brandonl83 » Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:16 am

I have done both and training for boxing is far more grueling. Yes you can conserve energy as a boxer by not letting the hands fly but when MMA fighters are tierd thay lay on top of each other for minutes at a time pretending to move around to be affective. Boxers leg are in superior shape compared to a MMA fighters not just in strenght but in endurance thier is no laying on their back and holding for a rest. PAULO FILHO OF THE WEC LITERALLY LAYS DOWN WHEN FIGHTERS DO NOT LET HIM GRAPPLE WITH THEM TO TRY TO LURE THEM IN AND TAKE RESTS, HE IS THE CHAMPION TOO. Yes boxers hold but many times it is them leaning on their oppenet trying to wear out their legs from putting extra weight on them. People Like Chuck Leddel are great strikers but get winded after five minutes of fighting and get sloppy WITH WIDE LOOPING PUNCHES. Any pro boxer can go five minutes and have strict form no problem. They are two different disiplines and both have pros and cons and that is why they are different sports.
brandonl83
White Belt
White Belt

Postby qwerty » Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:49 am

brandonl83 wrote:People Like Chuck Leddel are great strikers

Chuck Liddell is not great at striking, yes he has heavy hands and KO power, but you put him against a decent boxer you will see his many striking flaws. Of course Chucky wouldn't go toe to toe against a boxer though i'm just saying that MMA has far ways to go until their is a true striker. Right now MMA just has a lot of atheletes.
qwerty
Black Belt
Black Belt

Next

Return to Boxing, Kickboxing & Muay Thai