Login Sign Up

Muay Thai contact conditioning, espicially lower legs (shin)

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Kung Fu Moderators

Muay Thai contact conditioning, espicially lower legs (shin)

Postby Looker07 » Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:37 am

Gday, been training in Muay Thai for about 6mnths now and really just need to start toughning my shins and thighs to all those kicks and knees.
Cheers
Looker07
White Belt
White Belt

Postby malaclypse » Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:52 am

chins: some prefer to use battle which they roll over their chins while putting pressure on the bottle.

I prefer to kick a large bag for as hard as I can as long as I can untill my chins feel really sore.

to make my upperlegs harder and more resistant to pain I do squats... lots of them. I don't use weights but I squat 3 or 4 * 120 times.
LMFM: Lean Mean Fat Machine
malaclypse
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Postby stevebags » Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:15 pm

I wouldnt advise using anything on your shins apart from kicking the heavy bag, we have had this discussion before and the reasons for not using rolling pins or bottles on shins is explained there, have a search and sure you will find it
"...the man who really counts in the world is the doer, not the mere critic-the man who actually does the work, even if roughly and imperfectly, not the man who only talks or writes about how it ought to be done."

http://www.myspace.com/stevebaggaley
stevebags
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby GrappleorWrestle » Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:40 pm

Some of the people here at the forums talked about that here knee-and-shin-conditioning-for-mt-vt293.html?highlight=shin just incase you would like to take a look. I do not really believe in true knuckle/shin conditioning these days. It is not necessary really. We have no need to punch or kick through wooden armor. So it's not realistic for these days. But I can understand conditioning your knuckes and/or shins on a heavy bag.
Not to cross train cripples the martial arts, without it you can become a mechanic, but never an artist.
- E. Cates

Gold medals aren't really made of gold. They're made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts.
- Dan Gable
GrappleorWrestle
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby stevebags » Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:10 am

GoW is correct, however i have a broken watch at home but even thats right twice a day lol
"...the man who really counts in the world is the doer, not the mere critic-the man who actually does the work, even if roughly and imperfectly, not the man who only talks or writes about how it ought to be done."

stevebags
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby stick » Sat Aug 12, 2006 3:45 pm

Rolling stuff on shins is great, but put salty water on the shins, that strengthens the skin.
stick
White Belt
White Belt

Postby stevebags » Sun Aug 13, 2006 2:07 pm

stick wrote:Rolling stuff on shins is great, but put salty water on the shins, that strengthens the skin.
no it isnt, research it a bit more in depth and you will see why

stevebags
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby GrappleorWrestle » Sun Aug 13, 2006 3:51 pm

Gee steve you hate me now? =) I have never rolled my shins, and I know I never will. Although I do have a makiwara in the backyard.
Not to cross train cripples the martial arts, without it you can become a mechanic, but never an artist.
- E. Cates

Gold medals aren't really made of gold. They're made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts.
- Dan Gable
GrappleorWrestle
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby malaclypse » Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:32 am

GrappleorWrestle wrote:Some of the people here at the forums talked about that here knee-and-shin-conditioning-for-mt-vt293.html?highlight=shin just incase you would like to take a look. I do not really believe in true knuckle/shin conditioning these days. It is not necessary really. We have no need to punch or kick through wooden armor. So it's not realistic for these days. But I can understand conditioning your knuckes and/or shins on a heavy bag.

If you practice Muay Thai or Kickboxing it is really neccesary to harden your chins. Blocks against low kicks are performed with ....... indeed : chins. If you've never trained your chins in a proper ( read hard) way, you will succumb to pain.

The way you harden your chins is your own choice. Use the method you think is best for you. But know this: hitting a heavy bag or another chin are two different things. Hitting an other chin or an elbow actually hurts a bit where as kicking a heavy bag doesn't hurt at all.
LMFM: Lean Mean Fat Machine
malaclypse
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Postby stevebags » Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:22 am

hitting the heavy bag over a period of time hardens the shins, there isnt a quick fix to harden shins and the rolling pin idea is shit and bad for you

stevebags
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Sneaky » Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:21 pm

Its not that your hardening your shins, more killing the nerves that feel the pain there.
Sneaky
White Belt
White Belt

Postby JimmysEgo » Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:49 am

malaclypse wrote: Blocks against low kicks are performed with ....... indeed : chins. If you've never trained your chins in a proper way, you will succumb to pain.

sometimes i try to block jabs with my nose.

haha i'm just messing with you, i know what you meant.
JimmysEgo
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby ad baculam » Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:04 pm

you don't want to kill nerves, you do want to harden, or rather thicken, your shins. Your bones get thicker when subjected to proper stimulus (impact). You are not trying to avoid pain, if you were you wouldn't be a kickboxer, you are trying to avoid breaking your shins. Hitting a heavy bag consistently will make them thicker.
ad baculam
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Postby muay thai experty » Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:52 pm

if you dont have a punching bag,u could always use a stick.
it also gives effective results. but u will get bruises alot.it takes time.
muay thai experty
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Postby Jons » Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:17 am

Heavy bag, it worked wonders for me, shin-to-shin contact isn't a problem, you just get some nasty bruises. As for catching an elbow, I'm sure that it will always hurt... It's full contact fighting, not square dancing.
Jons
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Return to Tae Kwon Do & Kung Fu