Login Sign Up

Muay Thai vs Kung Fu vs ..what most people tend to forget...

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Kung Fu Moderators

Postby StaffGuru411 » Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:48 pm

stevebags wrote:
NitZR wrote:kungfu is good for self defence. but you can also learn some judo taekwondo or MMA for self defence aswell muay thia isn't that good. I think you would be best helped with a street fighting course!
Taekwondo and kung fu is not good for self defence, look at Krava Maga or Jap JJ for real self defence


Agreed. I took Krav Maga for like 6 months, and Bas Rutten even had private lessons with the Instructors at the school, so it was sweet seeing their self defense they take seriously by paying Rutten to come in and tecah MMA for defense.

But what I liked most about the Krav classes were that they took the most simple moves from Boxing, Muay Thai, Judo, and Jiu Jitsu and applied them to practical street scenarios. Lets face it, its not really realistic to try a flying arm bar on the concrete street, etc. And THE MOST important thing Krav Maga stressed

FITNESS!

They have a simple philosophy. If you're not in shape, no matter how many moves you know? You're not gonna beat anybody on the street. Period. But if youre in shape and know only the very basic concepts of real self defense? You'll likely win any street scenario.

Very practical system Krav.
"She kneed me in the nutz and called me faggot in front of everyone!"
StaffGuru411
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:52 pm
Location: Sacramento, CA

Postby malaclypse » Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:33 am

StaffGuru411 wrote:
stevebags wrote:
NitZR wrote:kungfu is good for self defence. but you can also learn some judo taekwondo or MMA for self defence aswell muay thia isn't that good. I think you would be best helped with a street fighting course!
Taekwondo and kung fu is not good for self defence, look at Krava Maga or Jap JJ for real self defence


Agreed. I took Krav Maga for like 6 months, and Bas Rutten even had private lessons with the Instructors at the school, so it was sweet seeing their self defense they take seriously by paying Rutten to come in and tecah MMA for defense.

But what I liked most about the Krav classes were that they took the most simple moves from Boxing, Muay Thai, Judo, and Jiu Jitsu and applied them to practical street scenarios. Lets face it, its not really realistic to try a flying arm bar on the concrete street, etc. And THE MOST important thing Krav Maga stressed

FITNESS!

They have a simple philosophy. If you're not in shape, no matter how many moves you know? You're not gonna beat anybody on the street. Period. But if youre in shape and know only the very basic concepts of real self defense? You'll likely win any street scenario.

Very practical system Krav.



Best system to learn if you have a short amount of time to learn anything at all.
LMFM: Lean Mean Fat Machine
malaclypse
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
 
Posts: 308
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2005 7:42 am
Location: Belgium

Re: Muay Thai vs Kung Fu vs ..what most people tend to forget...

Postby yuggsoth » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:19 am

Kensei. Training for a million different scenarios is pointless. Kung Fu training is effective because it teaches strict, time-tested methods of movement and defense which work in ANY situation. That said...
Kung Fu/soft striking IS more effective than Muay Thai striking. Muay Thai's kicking is slow. Being a hard style, performing a simple roundhouse kick in Muay Thai fashion requires moving the kicking leg well over the "center line" and moving one's body weight into the kick. In Kung Fu the kick might come from the lead leg. It comes quickly and with power. Neither Muay Thai or (hard) Karate practicioners believe in kicking from the lead leg. Kung Fu's striking is faster, more versatile and more deceptive. Muay Thai is popular in MMA because for the most part, MMA competitors are of low intellect. I can see you telegraphing your strikes...
yuggsoth
White Belt
White Belt
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:04 am

Re: Muay Thai vs Kung Fu vs ..what most people tend to forget...

Postby donovan99 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:13 pm

bahaha mma fighters have low intellect! relative to what? a doctor? duh!
as I have said before, there is only one way to find out - and that is by having a real match, so you can try to rationalize it all you want, and type in all the forums that you want, but until you can show us in a video of a kung-fu practitioner using traditional kung-fu to beat up a muay thai practitioner, this is all but a hypothesis.
now - regarding the telegraphing of strikes - perhaps the reason you can see the strikes coming in a MMA match is because the fighters are in the 2nd and 3rd round - where they are exhausted and can not apply the proper technique.
Muay thai training involves diguising your strikes, so you can punch or kick in a sequence that is fast, effective and powerful.
donovan99
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
 
Posts: 381
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:13 am
Location: Boston, MA

Re: Muay Thai vs Kung Fu vs ..what most people tend to forget...

Postby Kensei » Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:10 pm

yuggsoth wrote:Kensei. Training for a million different scenarios is pointless. Kung Fu training is effective because it teaches strict, time-tested methods of movement and defense which work in ANY situation.


Being a young guy I will cut you some slack ( my assumption due to the attitude I read into your post). First off, so you know I am not just Wiki-searching Kung fu. I have about ten years of training in Kung fu. I studied Hung Gar, Choy Li Fut, Jeet Kune Do and Wing Chun. Mostly JKD, But I found HG to traditional, but fun...CLF was great for speed and adjility but lacked the real world feel and was to flowery. JKD was good but lacked the traditional aspects I liked in Karate...and to say the least you seem to have a rather miopic view of Kung fu...which style are you talking about??

yuggsoth wrote:Kung Fu/soft striking IS more effective than Muay Thai striking. Muay Thai's kicking is slow. Being a hard style, performing a simple roundhouse kick in Muay Thai fashion requires moving the kicking leg well over the "center line" and moving one's body weight into the kick.


REEEELY? I mean have you ever been leg kicked by a good Thai fighter...or a poor one for that matter? This is the kind of argument that I do NOT like. My style is better than yours went out the door WITH MMA! They proved that one style is not enough and it does not matter what you study if you are not a great fighter you are not a great fighter. IN fact the early UFC’s proved with out a doubt that TMA is a GREAT starting point and if you are great at one style you have a chance….but not a good one. I have seen the early KF guys get their teeth Knocked out! So the whole MT is not as good at KF has not passed the test! Sorry, but you have been proven wrong! That being said, perhaps it is a good Single component to start with.

yuggsoth wrote:In Kung Fu the kick might come from the lead leg. It comes quickly and with power.

Study a bit of physics…not possible!
yuggsoth wrote:Neither Muay Thai or (hard) Karate practicioners believe in kicking from the lead leg.

“Practitioners” of Hard style Karate do not only kick with the lead leg, nor do MT fighters. Sorry, FAIL again. In Muay thai they do a lot of front leg kicks and in my style of Karate we do a tone of front leg tip tap kicks…the true power comes from back leg kicks but they are a bit slower and can be used to destroy an attacker… but a front leg kick is a good set up…this is true, but your assertions about back leg kicks are unfounded. Sorry, this one fails too!
yuggsoth wrote:Kung Fu's striking is faster, more versatile and more deceptive.

LMAO, I have felt good kung fu and it is pretty much like every other martial art I have felt. So, yes, Kung fu is fast…faster, not so much. Effectiveness is another thing. A Jab from a guy who wears a sash is the same effect on the human body as a jab from a guy wearing an Obi, a set of boxing trunks or a pair of jeans in the back ally. If the guy is a good puncher the punch will be fast and powerful. So this quote proves again that you have a Miopic view of Martial arts.
yuggsoth wrote:Muay Thai is popular in MMA because for the most part, MMA competitors are of low intellect. I can see you telegraphing your strikes...

This is a statement that ends the whole show….saying fighters are of “low intellect” is wrong man. We see way to many Doctors, lawyers, School teachers, Politicians (okay maybe that one is true), business men and other upper class “intellects” in MMA! I can not say that being a MMA fighter means you have a low intellect, I would say that perhaps a few are morons, but probably about as many as there are in Kung fu, Karate and Monkey tossing! (Okay, made up that last one….we all know Monkey tossers are friggin’ smart).
Yuggosth, If I can tell you one thing and have you HEAR me, it is this….Dont look at a single style with stars in your eyes. I have trained in Shotokan Karate for near fourty years now, had my training time in Judo, Kung fu, Kendo, Sambo, Wrestling, Aikido, and countless other styles along the way. I can honestly tell you that if a style tells you they are the best…it is all marketing! No style is the best! I have seen provincial champs in TKD get laid out by guys that don’t even train, national level wrestlers take out guys that boxed in the Pan Ams and I have seen little old ladies beat the tar out of young guys…and cats chasing dogs…just checking to see if you are paying attention.

Good arguments start with looking seriously at your own style and not drinking the cool aid prior to posting. Hope this helped!
Image

Even monkeys fall out of trees!
Kensei
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 6233
Joined: Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:12 pm
Location: Canada

Previous

Return to Tae Kwon Do & Kung Fu

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron