Login Sign Up

My New MMA circuit workout

My New MMA circuit workout

Postby Asa87 » Wed May 21, 2008 12:16 pm

this is a new circuit workout i just wrote up specifically for MMA and aims at muscle groups and explosive power building. I take my heavy bag down and use it for alot of the workouts. This is done in my backgarden and only equipment is a heavy bag, a medicine ball, thai pads and a partner. Thought i'd post this up seen as there has been alot of chat about circuits recently and to be honest... im a circuit junkie!!

1ST ROUND (1 MIN CIRCUITS):

Skip - Jumping rope, great for co-ordination, timing, speed and cardio.

Heavy Bag Squats - i clinch the heavy bag and do full squats with it for a minute.

Runs With Heavy Bag- Straight after the squats i throw the bag up into firemans lift position (on top of my shoulder) and run shuttle runs of my garden for a minute, this seriously takes the breath out of me.

GnP Heavy Bag - As soon as the beeper goes i stop running and slam the heavy bag down rampage style and land ontop and start ground and pounding for a minute.

Medicine Sit Ups - Sit ups while holding the medicine ball with a personal twist. Hold the ball and sit up then press it above you, bring it back down and lie down, once on your back press it like a bench press and repeat for a minute.

Medicine Press Ups - You must know what these are, i will explain anyway. Put left hand on the medicine ball and right on the ground and go down then push up explosivley and swap your right hand onto the medicine ball and left hand onto the ground and repeat.

Hitting Thai Pads - Great exercise, alot tougher than it looks, i guess most of you have had a blast on thai pads before?

Holding Thai Pads - It has to go both ways!! this will work your forearms and biceps even jut holding the thai pads but is not physically demanding.

Takedowns and Sprawl - Working with my partner just practicing take downs and sprawling, is very tough and works almost every muscle! this one is a 2 minute workout.

2ND ROUND IS THE SAME BUT 2 MINUTE WORKOUTS.

3RD ROUND IS THE SAME AS THE 1ST ROUND

This is a seriously tough workout and i like it alot and im going to keep doing it until i get bored and make a new one. What do you guys think of it?
"Simplicity is the key to brilliance" - Bruce Lee

"Imagination is more important than knowledge" - Albert Einstein
Asa87
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby GrappleorWrestle » Wed May 21, 2008 9:07 pm

Nice circuit. I think it's great experience when people share how the workout. I am still trying to get my low budget training worked out.
Not to cross train cripples the martial arts, without it you can become a mechanic, but never an artist.
- E. Cates

Gold medals aren't really made of gold. They're made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts.
- Dan Gable
GrappleorWrestle
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Kuark » Wed May 21, 2008 9:53 pm

nice, that is one thing I can never muster the will to do intense cardio
Kuark
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Postby fightDR » Wed May 21, 2008 11:39 pm

Cardio is the 1 thing that we all need, but its definatly the hardest thing to work on. It takes alot of motivation to do good cardio. Always good to have someone there with you to help there, coaches definatly earn there wonga if they can get good cardio out of someone.
Love all mma, and big UFC fan but I do miss Pride.
Big Supporter or British MMA so a shout out to Micheal Bisbing, Paul Taylor and Dan Hardy who are representing well and makeing their mark in the UFC!!!
fightDR
Brown(3) Belt
Brown(3) Belt

Postby Asa87 » Thu May 22, 2008 4:16 am

on the matter of 'having the will' to do it at times i really cannot be bothered but once i'm into the first exercise i'm in my zone and just want to keep going. Training with someone helps immensely.

Asa87
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby fightDR » Thu May 22, 2008 5:02 am

Asa87 wrote: Training with someone helps immensely.

I agree with that 100% just got to hope you have the right training partners, not always easy to find.
Big Supporter or British MMA so a shout out to Micheal Bisbing, Paul Taylor and Dan Hardy who are representing well and makeing their mark in the UFC!!!
fightDR
Brown(3) Belt
Brown(3) Belt

Postby Asa87 » Thu May 22, 2008 6:18 am

So what do you think of that workout FightDR?

Asa87
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby fightDR » Thu May 22, 2008 6:31 am

Its a good hard workout Asa87, you have used what you have at your disposal very effectivly. Credit where its due. I like the way you have broken it down to with the times to get the best out of yourself.
Have you seen the advantages of the workout?
fightDR
Brown(3) Belt
Brown(3) Belt

Postby Asa87 » Thu May 22, 2008 9:40 am

only writ it up yesterday and did it yesterday aswell. Planning on doing it twice a week along with my 2 muay thai classes a week and long cycles on my road bike on sundays seen as the weather is getting better. So we'll see. after 2 months i shall write a new circuit... maybe even post it on here.

Asa87
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby fightDR » Fri May 23, 2008 12:12 pm

Well credit where its due, I have worked with many guys and its rare to find someone prepared to put that type of work in outside the gym. Most people just rely on tread mills, rowing machines and excercise bikes here. A good solid circuit is so effective that i think will be so benificial to you in the long run.
fightDR
Brown(3) Belt
Brown(3) Belt

Re: My New MMA circuit workout

Postby djcal93 » Fri May 08, 2009 2:12 pm

hey great guide m8 any suggestions for a replacement for a heavy bag n jump rope
djcal93
White Belt
White Belt

Postby Asa87 » Sat May 09, 2009 2:55 am

for the jump rope, there is no substitute - it is a irreplaceable piece of equipment and a speed rope only costs around £3.

Heavy bag, instead you could use sandbags... uhmmm can't think of anything else at the moment.

Asa87
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby DisciplineHopes » Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:08 pm

Asa87 wrote:for the jump rope, there is no substitute - it is a irreplaceable piece of equipment and a speed rope only costs around £3.

Heavy bag, instead you could use sandbags... uhmmm can't think of anything else at the moment.

ahhh your partner....jk jk. sandbags maybe or even a decent size log of some sort.
DisciplineHopes
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby DisciplineHopes » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:32 am

asa87 said that sand bags were a substitute for a heavy bag but didnt know of any other substitutes. i said your partner could be the substitute but i was just kidding(jk).
DisciplineHopes
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby Asa87 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:51 am

Yea haha, pick your partner up and do squats with him over your shoulder. Just kidding shadow.

Asa87
Red Belt
Red Belt

Next

Return to Supplements, Diet, Equipment & Weight Training