Login Sign Up

My upsets with point sparring....

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Kung Fu Moderators

My upsets with point sparring....

Postby Wushu XC » Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:42 am

Hey guys... so last night i was at my kung-fu academy,we were doing wall stretches after a short run, and some monkey soccer (FUN GAME!)

"ok sparring gear if u have it" my sifu said...

so due to my frustration in past attempts when i was younger for sparring. i Usually don't bring my gear, because i'd rather work on techniques than what they have us do. Now you guys are probally thinkin wtf z0mg he d0n't lik t3h sparring? wai h3 on h3re?
well don't get me wrong i LOVE sparring, i like continuous i like, round sparring what i don't like.... Is POINT SPARRING.... so back to the story.

I got my gear on and sat down, took of my shoes and rolled my pants up a bit. "ok... remeber guys self control, no hits to the lower body, no hits to the face, and no takedowns...." and with that i was puzzled.... Here we are about 4 black belts... and a couple of other red belts of various ranks. And no take downs?? however later on in my spectating of the "matches" i saw very uncontrolable hits being thrown, so i could understand the "no takedown" rule because injury's would surley result.

"Ok hrmmm, first to fight is.... Alex, and.. wushuXC " So i nod and bow, tighten my helmet, and check my gloves. Im ok with sparring Alex i know him, were on a demo team together. "ok bow to eachother, draw back.... Fight!" immediatley i stick my glove out for him to touch as i like to keep sparring a freind vs. freind expierence not a bad one. So i start to strafe a bit, i make sure my hands are shut and i switch stances and i throw a roundhouse at him, he blocks it and i retreat, i throw a non-sense jab and he blocks.... i wait for a while still peppering him with kicks/various strikes, he goes in for it with a leaning front ball kick to the sternum, i block it with my right hand "SHIT!!" i thought to myself i completely dropped my front guard to block a kick ERG!!!! "fump!" his hand sneaks all the way thru my guard and smacks me in the chest... "And up!" calls out the sifu, we shuffle to our sides, i make a joke about my hands and we continue, "fight!" we go at it again he throws the same kick instead of blocking it with my full arm i simply slap it away by raising my elbow and hitting it with my hand as not to drop my front guard.

unsuspecting of my guard fix, he still continues to punch in at me...
Now i hope everyone on here is aware of a "sinker" punch, it's basically the cheapest most ineffective punch there is in wich, your twist your shoulder bend at ur waist and thrust towards the stomach leaving chin and head exposed, well thats what he did... i saw it coming, my left back hand moves to my stomach to block it.. it felt like he had thrown a nerf ball at me with the strength ofa two year old, it BARELY MADE CONTACT!?!?!?! "and up"

"WHA!?" i think to myself, now in a real fight if anyone were to throw a sinker our any punch that exposes there chin i woulda simply punched them in the mouth and that would mostly disable him, however in a simple sparring match im not going to pop my freind in the face!? plus isn't that not allowed? so he draws back to our sides.... i felt ashamed...
here i am black sash around my waist and two red stirped sewed on with a mothers love, and im losing to a sinker punch? this is when i got angry, i started to think if this was a real fight, it'd be over i woulda locked his arm punched him in the chin and trown him to the ground, and yet, NONE of these were aloud. so i stored that anger inside me for later "typing on teh interwebz" "score 2-0.... FIGHT!" i touch gloves while thinking "u cheap bastard" and i continue to work him a bit, throwing kicks and some light jabs. waiting for the sucker punch, then a thought... what if i were to go in and do it to him? i meen it could only be worth a try?! (at this point i was no longer thinking technique i realized how pointless it was to take it seirously if a little wimpy touch could get him a point) so i go in i do alittle bob back and forth and bend down and shoot my hand out, "and up, score 1-2... fight!" and im thinking... "are u kidding me? im a black belt, he's a black belt, and we both just did a move that isn't even a knowledgeble strike!?!?" now im just pissed, "self control" "technique" these i found are absolutley impossible to use in a "point saprring" match, the second one atleast.... think about it, because point sparring is about hiting the other persons abdoman, if u were to throw wild punches ur bound to hit a person once.... And that would be it! they have the lead now.... and argue, OFCOURSE U CAN USE TECHNIQUE! but, you'll be blocking and going in from a punch and they could simply "tap" u on the abdoman and they would have a point!?

In a real fight imagine if it were that way, you go into punch your blocking and setting him up for the hit when all of a sudden HE TOUCHES YOUR ABDOMEN... "OH GOD!!! OH SWEET LORD, THATS ENOUGH, I simply can't go on, i meen for heaven sakes that must've taken no skill to do at all, you know what, you win i'm out... jeez that sucked" No i'd imagine u wouldn't do that, SO WHY? i ask is this point sparring a good training? the answer: it isn't. atleast not when your with a "wild" fighter, one who isn't controlled and just throws randomly, your bound to get hit, you could land the BEST kick to his sternum but he could "tap" you on the chest and it would be his point. I meen what if in the UFC the first guy to laand the punch in each round would win that round? INSANE right? no i know it wouldn't make sense, because theres so much more a fighter can do after that intitial contact that can WIN A FIGHT, so why stop a round when REALLY it has just begun!? I hope you see my logic, if your wondering what happend i lost 1-3 because of a "TAP" on the head.

SO in conclusion, why do a match where when the strikes are thrown and one lands, the round is over... when You can do a fight where stirkes are thrown and each opponent is given the opportunity to learn eachothers bad habits, good habits, and fighting style.

sparknotes: Doesn't "continous sparring", make more sense then "point sparring"

PS> sorry for HORENDOUS spelling and grammar, hope you guys can read it "ok"
Pain is the name of my training partner
ImageImage
Wushu XC
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Postby Kensei » Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:06 am

well, here is my take on it. Point sparring in each group is different. In my Shotokan dojo you need to throw strong strikes that would hurt the guy if not for the control, and even then we dont always have the best control.. :wink:

It kind of sounds like your acadamy is missing the boat on real fighting. I prefer free style sparring with no points but lots of control over point or one point fighting with sissy techniques giving points.

I would have a chat with the instructor to ask why those counted!!

Even monkeys fall out of trees!
Kensei

Postby Wushu XC » Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:08 pm

That's precisely how i feel about the situation, although It was a sifu directing the class it was not the head of the school, usually he takes sparring seirously and makes us do what your dojo does.

I heard however that he is going to introduce a sparring where you can only get points by getting locks and throws, among other things, that i was excited about.

Thankyou for reading
Pain is the name of my training partner
ImageImage
Wushu XC
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Postby Asa87 » Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:15 pm

I agree with you Wushu, it is bizzare. the only sparring we do at MT is free sparring where we contact at 50% and there is no one refereeing. and you know yourself if you won or lost. it's good fun and works so i can't really sympathise with you. but it does sound stupid.
"Simplicity is the key to brilliance" - Bruce Lee

"Imagination is more important than knowledge" - Albert Einstein
Asa87
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby Kuark » Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:08 pm

Asa87 wrote:I agree with you Wushu, it is bizzare. the only sparring we do at MT is free sparring where we contact at 50% and there is no one refereeing. and you know yourself if you won or lost. it's good fun and works so i can't really sympathise with you. but it does sound stupid.

We spar once a week like that at my gym only it isnt even about losing or winning it is about bettering yourself and improving your weaknesses that you wouldnt see in other situations. Even though I am inexperienced in martial arts compared to others I feel that is the best way to spar because with control it isnt dangerous and it is very similar to being in a ring. (although not the exact same obviously)
Kuark
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Postby Kensei » Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:22 am

Kuark wrote:
We spar once a week like that at my gym only it isnt even about losing or winning it is about bettering yourself and improving your weaknesses that you wouldnt see in other situations. Even though I am inexperienced in martial arts compared to others I feel that is the best way to spar because with control it isnt dangerous and it is very similar to being in a ring. (although not the exact same obviously)

for being a guy that is not very experienced, you nailed it straight on the head man!

Even monkeys fall out of trees!
Kensei

Postby Minatour » Sat Oct 27, 2007 3:31 pm

Point sparring sucks in my opinion, if used correctly it can be good, but this is called 'Timing' in Muay thai, its a way of correcting technique and looking at your options
Minatour
Green Belt
Green Belt

Return to Tae Kwon Do & Kung Fu