Login Sign Up

Olympics...

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Kung Fu Moderators

Postby qwerty » Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:34 am

I don't see anything wrong with the dream team. I believe anyone that could should participate in the Olympics (pros, semi pros and amatuers). I believe thati s what the Olympics is about, bringing out the best representatives for your country. Other countries are doing the same.
qwerty
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby fightDR » Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:59 am

I don't really have a problem with Pro's in the Olympics as long as they are doing it for the sport and not money.

I do however 100% think that some of the olympic sports should not be there...I understand they are sports and that SOME people may lick them, but that said why are Darts or even Chess or Poker not Olympic sports then.
Table Tennis, Basketball, Baseball, syncronised swimming, football (soccer :lol:) and even Tennis are to name just a few.
Although Show Jumping and dresage definatly as it's so traditional and been around for 100s of years :lol: Yawn.
Love all mma, and big UFC fan but I do miss Pride.
Big Supporter or British MMA so a shout out to Micheal Bisbing, Paul Taylor and Dan Hardy who are representing well and makeing their mark in the UFC!!!
fightDR
Brown(3) Belt
Brown(3) Belt

Postby qwerty » Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:58 pm

my favorite event has to be the women's outdoor volleyball...specially the final event competing in the rain!

Usain Bolt is the f'king man!

I don't know how Phelps did it.

BTW, the scoring system for boxing is total bs!
qwerty
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Kensei » Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:42 am

qwerty wrote:I don't see anything wrong with the dream team. I believe anyone that could should participate in the Olympics (pros, semi pros and amatuers). I believe thati s what the Olympics is about, bringing out the best representatives for your country. Other countries are doing the same.

Actually, the whole Idea behind the olympics is to bring the best "AMATURE" athletes to the world, not the best millionaire pros. It had been a cornerstone that the olympics rested on since it re-inception in England in 1904. The oriningal premis of "fairplay" stated that no proffesional was to be allowed to participate because it gave them an unfair advantage as far as training goes. If you can not see that someone working 8-10 hours a day and training at night and week ends does not have the same advantages in training as someone that TRAINS FOR A LIVING then you are blind! Most Athletes are students, which means school also cuts into training time.

In the 19070's the IOC dropped the "amature only" rules due to heavy patitioning of major sport owners...and many say a great deal of bribing. The NBA got involved in 1992 by feilding a all NBA team to go to the olympics and pushed out up and coming players and star University athletes. This angered a whole generation of College athletes as it was them that had traditionally been brought to the olympics. Prior to that it had been a gentlemans agreement that the athletes in Basketball would not be pros. Most countries viewed this move by the states as being a farce and made a mockery of the olympic spirit.

Truth is that most athletes in eastern block countries were "full time athletes" that were still viewed as being amature. The point is that many countries can not feild the same caliber of athletes and a big movement is on to make the Olys a "AMATURE" only event or make a pro event that is separete from the games. Also alot of countries are trying to get events like Baseketball pulled from the olys because of what they see as abuse of the IOC and the rediculousness of putting pros in a classically amature event.

Lesson over...time for nap time boys! :lol:

Even monkeys fall out of trees!
Kensei

Postby Kensei » Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:44 am

fightDR wrote:I don't really have a problem with Pro's in the Olympics as long as they are doing it for the sport and not money.

I do however 100% think that some of the olympic sports should not be there...I understand they are sports and that SOME people may lick them, but that said why are Darts or even Chess or Poker not Olympic sports then.
Table Tennis, Basketball, Baseball, syncronised swimming, football (soccer :lol:) and even Tennis are to name just a few.
Although Show Jumping and dresage definatly as it's so traditional and been around for 100s of years :lol: Yawn.

Trampoline???? Back in the day when little Kensei was in gymnastics and competed we got in shit for being on that damn thing to much...20 years later it is a friggin sport in the olys???? Geezus!

Kensei

Postby ad baculam » Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:49 am

We could always just return the Olympics to it's roots and say only games with military application. I say bring back the armored sprint.
ad baculam
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Postby Kensei » Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:25 am

ad baculam wrote:We could always just return the Olympics to it's roots and say only games with military application. I say bring back the armored sprint.

now you are talking!!!

Kensei

Postby qwerty » Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:46 am

Kensei wrote:
qwerty wrote:I don't see anything wrong with the dream team. I believe anyone that could should participate in the Olympics (pros, semi pros and amatuers). I believe thati s what the Olympics is about, bringing out the best representatives for your country. Other countries are doing the same.

Actually, the whole Idea behind the olympics is to bring the best "AMATURE" athletes to the world, not the best millionaire pros. It had been a cornerstone that the olympics rested on since it re-inception in England in 1904. The oriningal premis of "fairplay" stated that no proffesional was to be allowed to participate because it gave them an unfair advantage as far as training goes. If you can not see that someone working 8-10 hours a day and training at night and week ends does not have the same advantages in training as someone that TRAINS FOR A LIVING then you are blind! Most Athletes are students, which means school also cuts into training time.

In the 19070's the IOC dropped the "amature only" rules due to heavy patitioning of major sport owners...and many say a great deal of bribing. The NBA got involved in 1992 by feilding a all NBA team to go to the olympics and pushed out up and coming players and star University athletes. This angered a whole generation of College athletes as it was them that had traditionally been brought to the olympics. Prior to that it had been a gentlemans agreement that the athletes in Basketball would not be pros. Most countries viewed this move by the states as being a farce and made a mockery of the olympic spirit.

Truth is that most athletes in eastern block countries were "full time athletes" that were still viewed as being amature. The point is that many countries can not feild the same caliber of athletes and a big movement is on to make the Olys a "AMATURE" only event or make a pro event that is separete from the games. Also alot of countries are trying to get events like Baseketball pulled from the olys because of what they see as abuse of the IOC and the rediculousness of putting pros in a classically amature event.

Lesson over...time for nap time boys! :lol:

:roll: I am not only speaking of basketball, or soccer, etc. I am talking about the entire olympics.

Secondly, now that you mentioned it, most basketball players who play in the olympics are *NOT* amateurs. Most of them play for a team that pays its players millions of dollars as well, a lot of them also play for the NBA. That goes with soccer, volleyball, etc... A lot of the events - mostly the team events. Amatuers... LOL.
qwerty
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Kensei » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:43 am

qwerty wrote: :roll: I am not only speaking of basketball, or soccer, etc. I am talking about the entire olympics. .

I got that, and I actually agree that ALL of the olympics should be like it was originally, Amatures. Does not matter what event, you are trying to put the best you have as an amature against the best that other countries have.

qwerty wrote:Secondly, now that you mentioned it, most basketball players who play in the olympics are *NOT* amateurs. Most of them play for a team that pays its players millions of dollars as well, a lot of them also play for the NBA. That goes with soccer, volleyball, etc... A lot of the events - mostly the team events. Amatuers... LOL.

Actually a great deal of the Basketballers are Pros, which was my point exactly...why not let anyone compete? well because countries that do not have a huge industry in them like the NBA would never be able to compete and then it becomes far to elitest. The point of the Olys was to avoid this and let everyone compete. I also see events like Soccer, Hockey and the like being issues. I dont see a huge call for professional rowers, Pro- gymnasts and the like so I dont think we have to worry about some Pro skuller or diver comeing on board and sweeping the events. :lol:

Kensei

Postby qwerty » Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:01 pm

They should a Hidalgo type event...
qwerty
Black Belt
Black Belt

Previous

Return to Tae Kwon Do & Kung Fu