Login Sign Up

Parallels in different Martial arts

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Parallels in different Martial arts

Postby Kensei » Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:52 pm

Okay, most of you know I have been around the block alot...and a long time. I have trained in many styles and see a direct parallel in Karate, Sambo and bjjs history and evolution and wanted to throw this past you.

Shotokan, the style I train in, started as a martial art and moved to charactor developement when the use for the style and its predecessors Shorin Ryu no longer needed to be self defense. Then from Charactor developement it moved to spread to the states. And when it moved to the states it became a sport. Something I dont agree with! In the begining their were no ranks, it was a waste of time to grade for styles when you were trying to develop fighting skills in situations were you were fairly sure to die. All techniques were allowed. One master actually had a Kata dedicated to groin strikes and eye pokes!

Sambo began as a military art, used on the battle field! Similar to shotokan it was used by the higher level aristoctrates and military men to make them more ready for battle. In the case of Sambo it was a compelation of styles that was brought to a specific set of military special ops people and used to fight the West. Then it changed and became "russian Judo" and a sport. in the begining their was no ranks, just fighting. Everyone trained on the same mats and everyone battled and trained for battle. The techniques included everything to win a fight. Small joint manipulation, Strangulations, standing grappling, ground skills ext and so on.

BJJ started off as a way of defending themselves and moved to a way of proving that they could. From their it began moving to the sport side of martial arts. The gradings started to be offered over the internet and via video...like Shotokan the Testing began to become less personal and more profit. I am kind of scared for Jiu Jitsu and now that I am thinking of getting these old bones into a Judo gi and finding a good training partner to train with, I wonder if I should look at training with a instructor or just on my own...Theinternet can be good for more than sending my testing video to the Gracies and getting my Gracie combatives Blue Belt :wink:

Even monkeys fall out of trees!
Kensei

Re: Parallels in different Martial arts

Postby Kensei » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:54 am

The Gracies have a online training and testing as do about a dozen instructors. I mean if you are rolling everyday and or working out and trying to get better skills then fine. I also find it funny that some Sambo organizations now have belt levels. I mean before they gave out titles if you did well in tournaments. but to say you were a black belt in Sambo would get you laughed at. I still remember my grand father Walter Lukazewich telling me that his Sambo was no levels and you learned and wrestled. He laughed at my judo. He would say some black belts do well in testing but can not wrestle well.

He pointed out that white belts would be hungry to learn but knew little, Middle color belts were better but needed polishing and brown belts were the best, they were hungry and skills. but at black belt they got lazy!

Moral of the story is that you can not focus on the color of the cotton around your waist or you will stop getting better.

Kensei

Re: Parallels in different Martial arts

Postby Kensei » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:05 am

True, And I actually now see what he means by his views. After being a higher level black belt in Karate for some time I see alot of juniors forget the reasons for training and A)get a big ego that has to be taken down a notch and B) just kind of tred water while the other students still get better around them.

My motivation for sambo was not getting laid on by my big brother, the faster you could get out and up the better, for Karate it is that I just love it. That should be the motivation for training, not getting a new color cotton belt to hold your jacket closed!

Kensei

Return to BJJ, Judo, Submission Wrestling & Wrestling