Login Sign Up

please help i dont know what to choose

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Kung Fu Moderators

please help i dont know what to choose

Postby doomedsouls » Thu May 03, 2007 3:35 am

hey i am trying to decided if i should do Muay Thai or Kung Fu its really more to help me get stronger and to help me defend myself because to be honest i am a pretty short for my age.
i will die for those i love
doomedsouls
White Belt
White Belt

Postby The Jonzz » Thu May 03, 2007 4:38 am

Muay thai all the way..
"Filipino Pride..."
The Jonzz
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby doomedsouls » Thu May 03, 2007 4:41 am

lol i have an older borther (2 years older) so i can take blows he has done 2 years of taekwondo (said that it was pointless) about 6 months of muay thai (he enjoyed that) and is now doing preymantis style in kung fu (and he is enjoying that as well) lol and i have done 17 odd years of nothing. i want to get fitter and stronger :P.
doomedsouls
White Belt
White Belt

Postby doomedsouls » Thu May 03, 2007 4:45 am

yeah he thinks muay thai as well because of my age i would enjoy it more thanks The Jonzz
doomedsouls
White Belt
White Belt

Postby The Jonzz » Thu May 03, 2007 4:46 am

My opinion is take muay thai.. Im gonna learn it now and incorporate it with my wrestling and basically, grappling(Judo,Jujitsu,etc.)..

I took taekwondo.. I learned the principles but not all those spinning kicks..
"Filipino Pride..."
The Jonzz
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby donovan99 » Thu May 03, 2007 5:48 am

Yes, take Muay Thai - if you are like me, you'll never be able to memorize all the Katas required by all other Martial Arts! haha
donovan99
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Postby doomedsouls » Fri May 04, 2007 6:42 am

its offical muay thai it is :P awsome talking to people who do the same thing thanks guys
doomedsouls
White Belt
White Belt

Postby donovan99 » Fri May 04, 2007 7:29 am

Dont forget to check out some other posts in this forum, regarding training in Muay Thai, glove selection and other related stuff.
There is a lot of great information in this Forum that can help you choose the right training camp, and steer clear from training-related injuries!
donovan99
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Postby JimmysEgo » Fri May 04, 2007 9:22 am

take the red pill.
JimmysEgo
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby FEDORisGOD » Fri May 04, 2007 1:15 pm

MT> Kung Fu unless you are being trained by the man who tought Bruce Lee everything he knew. Master Cheung, Creator of Wing Cheung. Otherwise,

MT> Kung Fu
FEDORisGOD

Postby Kensei » Fri May 04, 2007 2:45 pm

FEDORisGOD wrote:MT> Kung Fu unless you are being trained by the man who tought Bruce Lee everything he knew. Master Cheung, Creator of Wing Cheung. Otherwise,

MT> Kung Fu

Point of fact, Bruce Lee trained for a period of roughtly three years under Yip Man. He may have trained beside Cheung or a few guys named after the sounds that pots make when you toss them down the stairs.....but his instructor was grand master Yip Man!.

Man, all the history lessons I am giving, ninjitsu now Wing Chun...what is next :wink:

Even monkeys fall out of trees!
Kensei

Postby FEDORisGOD » Fri May 04, 2007 7:17 pm

Kensei wrote:
FEDORisGOD wrote:MT> Kung Fu unless you are being trained by the man who tought Bruce Lee everything he knew. Master Cheung, Creator of Wing Cheung. Otherwise,

MT> Kung Fu

Point of fact, Bruce Lee trained for a period of roughtly three years under Yip Man. He may have trained beside Cheung or a few guys named after the sounds that pots make when you toss them down the stairs.....but his instructor was grand master Yip Man!.

Man, all the history lessons I am giving, ninjitsu now Wing Chun...what is next :wink:

My friend Rahsun is a 3rd Degree Black Belt under Master Cheung, who has tought Bruce Lee since Bruce Lee was a teenager. I might have something misunderstood, but I am almost positive on this matter.
FEDORisGOD

Postby morphv2 » Mon May 14, 2007 6:56 am

Bruce Lee def trained under Yip-man for 2 atleast years (his first formal training), you can tell how much wing chun influenced him by his style. He was kicked out of the school when it was discovered he wasn't 100% chinese
morphv2
White Belt
White Belt

Postby Kensei » Mon May 14, 2007 9:04 am

FEDORisGOD wrote:
My friend Rahsun is a 3rd Degree Black Belt under Master Cheung, who has tought Bruce Lee since Bruce Lee was a teenager. I might have something misunderstood, but I am almost positive on this matter.

Not wanting to sound rude, but I would recheck your facts. I went home and re-read a old magazine interview done with Lee the year he died...before he died....and he stated that he had one instructor his whole life and that was Yip man. He trained with a tone of people, from Boxers, Karateka, Judoka and everything you could think of....He only had one instructor and that was Sifu Man!

Maybe Cheung was a training buddy. but a lot of those guys tried to cash in on his name after he left and said they taught him....I normally would just roll and eye or two at people that say that. Bruce himself stated who his instructor was, and that is what the man said!
James

Kensei

Postby Kensei » Mon May 14, 2007 9:09 am

morphv2 wrote:Bruce Lee def trained under Yip-man for 2 atleast years (his first formal training), you can tell how much wing chun influenced him by his style. He was kicked out of the school when it was discovered he wasn't 100% chinese

Errr, another story that does not hold water! sorry, he was not kicked out, he trained for two years, almost three then moved to the states. I have NEVER read that he was given the boot for not being all Chinese. Point of fact, he held a good relationship with Man Sifu and even returned to train with him when he was filming in Hong Kong. So, if he was given the boot, he would not have probably had a good relationship with Man and he probably would not have come back to train and show Yip Man his JKD. And no that is not from the movie but from notes he left that John Little put into a biography of Lee. Lee had a date book he kept and apparently when he was in Hong Kong he visited Yip Man several times to chat and train.

Kensei

Next

Return to Tae Kwon Do & Kung Fu