Login Sign Up

Puver returns to UFC?

Moderators: Sub-Zero, Forum Moderators

Puver returns to UFC?

Postby Gurre » Fri Jun 23, 2006 3:25 am

It has been more than four years since his last appearance in the Octagon, but “Little Evil” Jens Pulver has signed to make his return to the Ultimate Fighting Championship, MMAWeekly has confirmed. The signing was first reported by Carlos Arias of The Orange County Register.

Pulver was the first and, so far, only UFC lightweight champion, although it was officially called the bantamweight title at the time. He won the belt in a fight with Caol Uno and successfully defended it twice (against Dennis Hallman and BJ Penn). Following the victory over Penn, Pulver and the UFC were unable to agree on a new contract and he subsequently left the promotion on less than amiable terms.

Although it hasn’t been officially announced, it is believed that the winner of tomorrow night’s bout between Kenny Florian and Sam Stout (on The Ultimate Fighter 3 finale) will face Sean Sherk to name the successor to the championship that Pulver vacated in 2002. Seeing as how he never lost the belt in the Octagon, it only makes sense that Pulver will almost immediately be thrown into the mix and get a shot at the titleholder. With fighters such as Hermes Franca, Roger Huerta, Spencer Fisher, Mark Hominick, Joe Stevenson, Jorge Gurgel, and more currently competing in the UFC, the lightweight division has returned with a vengeance.

As referenced in a quote from Dana White in Arias’ article, there are strong rumors that Pulver will not only return looking to regain the title that he never lost, but it is believed that he will also be one of the coaches for fifth edition of The Ultimate Fighter, as season four has already hit production.

Looks like the UFC really is going for a beefy LW division now that the LHW is kind of in ruins! This will be of interest in the future when they start to match the fighters to get a champion. And I wonder what will happen this time around, will the champ vacate the title again?
Gurre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby stevebags » Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:22 am

great news and cant wait to see little evil in action again
"...the man who really counts in the world is the doer, not the mere critic-the man who actually does the work, even if roughly and imperfectly, not the man who only talks or writes about how it ought to be done."

http://www.myspace.com/stevebaggaley
stevebags
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Gurre » Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:47 pm

same here... hope he shows those hands!
Gurre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby thedon » Sun Jun 25, 2006 3:57 pm

well florian is going to have a shot at the title against sherk, then i think jens should be next in line for the title he never lost
thedon
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Postby High kick = Nap time » Sun Jun 25, 2006 10:06 pm

Wasn't Yves Edwards supposed to be the #1 contender before Mark Hominick put the hurtin on em? Hominick's position was w/o a doubt not boosted by his second round submission loss to Hatsu Hioki @ TKO 25, but it wasn't a UFC loss. I think if he hadn't lost last month he'd be in line for a title shot soon. I really enjoyed watching him make Yves go for a take down. It's not very often that a striker the quality of Yves Edwards gives up on the striking game and goes for a take down.

Either way I'm REALLY excited about Jens comin back, that lil bastard is a fucI<in TERROR!!
...Ill crack your fucking head wide open in front of everybody. And just about the time when I'm coming out of jail...hOpefully...you'll be coming out of your coma. And guess what, Ill split your fucking head open again.
High kick = Nap time
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Postby Gurre » Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:17 am

Florian and Sherk are WWs (170), Pulver is a LW (155).

But yes, it'll be crazy good!
Gurre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby stevebags » Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:11 pm

Florian fought at 155 at TUF finale and imo looked much better and stronger at that weight.
"...the man who really counts in the world is the doer, not the mere critic-the man who actually does the work, even if roughly and imperfectly, not the man who only talks or writes about how it ought to be done."

stevebags
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Gurre » Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:08 am

I've never liked Florian...
Gurre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby thedon » Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:45 pm

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/...2264&zoneid=13

"Although it hasn’t been officially announced, it is believed that the winner of tomorrow night’s bout between Kenny Florian and Sam Stout (on The Ultimate Fighter 3 finale) will face Sean Sherk to determine the successor to the championship that Pulver vacated in 2002. "
thedon
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Postby High kick = Nap time » Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:49 pm

thedon wrote:http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/...2264&zoneid=13

"Although it hasn’t been officially announced, it is believed that the winner of tomorrow night’s bout between Kenny Florian and Sam Stout (on The Ultimate Fighter 3 finale) will face Sean Sherk to determine the successor to the championship that Pulver vacated in 2002. "

Dead link brotha. . .
...Ill crack your fucking head wide open in front of everybody. And just about the time when I'm coming out of jail...hOpefully...you'll be coming out of your coma. And guess what, Ill split your fucking head open again.
High kick = Nap time
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Postby thedon » Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:46 pm

damn, o well, but the quote from it was were i was getting the whole sherk vs florian fight talk....that would be a great fight!
thedon
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Postby High kick = Nap time » Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:56 pm

It'd be fun to watch, I gotta give the edge to Sherk though. A BIIIG edge at that. Dude is 30-2, and his only losses are to GSP and fuckin Matt Hughes. He's gonna be HUUUUUUUUUGE @ 155. Dude's probably like .2% body fat LoL He's also beaten Nick Diaz, and Karo Karo Parisyan TWICE!! I REALLLLY think this is WAY to early for Kenny, I just don't think he's ready for a fighter the caliber of "The Muscle Shark". . . and I'm a lil ticked off that he's getting this push. I really think that Mark Hominick, Spencer Fisher or Yves Edwards should be getting this fight to see who will get the title shot. But that's the way it goes.
High kick = Nap time
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Postby Gurre » Wed Jun 28, 2006 7:53 am

the muscle shark is huge... but short limbs which are not very good while standing. But he's a great fighter, I agree
Gurre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby High kick = Nap time » Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:53 am

Short limbs yes, but he's fighting @ 155 now so most other guys will be short like him as well. Jens is only an inch taller than him, I don't think Sherks short reach will be as big of a problem as it was in the past @ 155.
High kick = Nap time
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Postby stevebags » Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:09 am

i think they should make it a eliminator like they did before Jens v Edwards and sherk v hominick, fisher v sudo, or something similiar to that.It would make it a bit more interesting and dont think Florian should be in the mix

stevebags
Black Belt
Black Belt

Next

Return to News