Login Sign Up

Question on Striking Method?

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Kung Fu Moderators

Question on Striking Method?

Postby puravida » Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:25 pm

I have taken jkd for the last year and recently decided to try out muy thai. I went to a class last week and had trouble making the transition in striking method. The teacher was constantly reminding me to turn my wrists.

I really enjoyed the intensity of the muy thai class. However, I'd like to know which striking style would be more effective in reality. I'm sure some of you have strong opinions and I am new to the martial arts world so I could use some advice.

Thanks
puravida
White Belt
White Belt

Postby JimmysEgo » Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:47 pm

hammer fist baby!
JimmysEgo
Red Belt
Red Belt

Re: Question on Striking Method?

Postby malaclypse » Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:41 am

puravida wrote:I have taken jkd for the last year and recently decided to try out muy thai. I went to a class last week and had trouble making the transition in striking method. The teacher was constantly reminding me to turn my wrists.

I really enjoyed the intensity of the muy thai class. However, I'd like to know which striking style would be more effective in reality. I'm sure some of you have strong opinions and I am new to the martial arts world so I could use some advice.

Thanks

On the street: use what suits you best. don't use techniques that you feel not comfortable with.

However, there is a disadvantage to JKD striking: Keeping your boxing guard up is harder maintain in a JKD stance.
If you twist your wrists your arms are more or less level with your shoulder which means that you are one step closer to defending that side of your head.
If you trow a punch JKD wise, it will be very easy for your opponent to trow a jab or cross over your own punch.

And do not forget that with MT you are wearing gloves.
LMFM: Lean Mean Fat Machine
malaclypse
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Postby andrewjonez » Sun Sep 10, 2006 5:14 pm

HAMMERFIST SHONIE HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
andrewjonez
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Postby jmath679 » Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:22 pm

Yeah, hammer strikes rock.
jmath679
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Postby geves » Fri Sep 22, 2006 3:00 pm

JKD has a set striking method? Isn't that going agianst the principles of JKD (i.e. having your own personal style, which is not limited by preconceptions or forced techniques)?

ditto on the hammerstrikes.
geves
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Postby GrappleorWrestle » Fri Sep 22, 2006 5:16 pm

Yeah it is, but you know that every style, including JKD, has a certain or general way to do something. But yes, hammerstikes are brutal.
Not to cross train cripples the martial arts, without it you can become a mechanic, but never an artist.
- E. Cates

Gold medals aren't really made of gold. They're made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts.
- Dan Gable
GrappleorWrestle
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Kensei » Fri Sep 22, 2006 5:27 pm

I think hitting with your your fists is the best way to punch...doesnt work out to well when you punch the guy in the fist with your face!!!

james

Even monkeys fall out of trees!
Kensei

Postby geves » Sat Sep 23, 2006 3:23 am

when in doubt. it goes like this:

soft (palm strikes) to hard areas (skull, side of head, back of head, ect...)

hard (closed fist, in the form of the top two knuckles 'index & middle' connecting first.) to soft targets... (kidneys, stomach, ribs, ect...)

works everytime.

soft to hard, hard to soft. thousands of years of hand to hand combat don't lie.
geves
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Postby GrappleorWrestle » Sat Sep 23, 2006 7:48 am

You have to love the open hand palm strikes to the ears! Those are dangerous.
Not to cross train cripples the martial arts, without it you can become a mechanic, but never an artist.
- E. Cates

Gold medals aren't really made of gold. They're made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts.
- Dan Gable
GrappleorWrestle
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby jmath679 » Sat Sep 23, 2006 1:38 pm

Both sides and once and you blow out the eardrums. I don't care who you are, you are not going to do anything after that.
jmath679
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Postby Kensei » Sat Sep 23, 2006 5:32 pm

actually if you hit just one side you can do some good damage to the ear drum. you do not have to hit both...and it is more effective to take just one out....blows a guys ballance. I remember watching an autopsy of a guy that was in a car accident during my university days and the ear drumb blew out on him....tones of blood..Real bad man.

You dont have to hit both...They are not connected!

James

Even monkeys fall out of trees!
Kensei

Postby jmath679 » Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:31 am

That is correct that you dont, but it just looks more bad ass to slam both palms into someones ears! ;)
jmath679
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Re: Question on Striking Method?

Postby KB Tyrant » Fri Sep 29, 2006 12:18 am

puravida wrote:I have taken jkd for the last year and recently decided to try out muy thai. I went to a class last week and had trouble making the transition in striking method. The teacher was constantly reminding me to turn my wrists.

Thanks

Hello Puravida.

It is interesting that you seem to have experienced a difference between JKD and MT striking technique. If you take a look at Bruce Lee's "The Tao of Jeet Kune Do", you will see that the fighting position and striking method illustrated in it are almost completely similar to those used in western boxing or MT. The only valid axiom in JKD is "use what works", and so in the spirit of this observation, perhaps you should test both the techniques that you have learned in sparring and see what gives the best result.

As for generating punching power, remember to rotate the hip.

Additionally, start on some ballistic weight training (kettlebells) to increase your ability to transfer energy from the ground out into your hand.
KB Tyrant
White Belt
White Belt

Postby soldierboi187 » Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:27 pm

whichever is more comfortable for you is more effective
soldierboi187
Green Belt
Green Belt

Next

Return to Tae Kwon Do & Kung Fu