Login Sign Up

Roger Huerta

Talk about the fighters here.

Moderators: GrappleorWrestle, stevebags, Gurre

Postby Kensei » Fri May 30, 2008 5:33 am

Okay, time to chime in...I will see Roger Huerta as a over rated pretty boy till he starts ending fights with named guys. The kid is 20/1/1 right now and like qwerty pointed out he has not really done that well in the fights he has had as of late. Yes, the Camera thing was a cute trick but look at his record just in 2006-07. First he gets Jason Dent on his first UFC fight and it goes the distance, against Dent??? then he nails Halverson and KO's the guy in 19 seconds, Halverson looked like he wanted to fall down before the bell went! The Fight wtih Garcia, now resident of LA county jail, was okay, but he should have been able to put him away easy, "bad boy" is a one trick pony. Next on his dance card Mark "drops like a brick" Evens, come on I COULD BEAT EVENS! Crane had him with some slick subs and just could not finish him. He GNP a BJJ guy, not bad if all you have is a BJJ guy that does not know anything about stand up...or avoids it like Titos girlfriend when the Herpies are acting up! After that fight he faced Clay "bad hair day" Guida, one of my personal fav's at LW. The guy showed that Roger could not stop a guy with a half decent chin, and the nice thing about Clay is that never say die attitude and Samurai death sprit! Dude is NUTS!!! Roger not only looked human in that fight, but he looked confused....Like "why is the hairy not on the canvas letting me hit him??

Now Kenny is not my fav. fighter as well, and really...if you look at records he should not be fighing a vet like Huerta. Roger has 22 fights and kenny has 12...But look at his 06'-07' record and you see why Kenflo (dumb ass nick name) is in it. First off he Took out stout, one of the tougher strikers in the LW division. Granted he used his Jitsu to do it and not his stand up, but he was doing okay with that too. Next up he goes for the gold and works sherk for 5 rounds of what many thought was alot closer fight than the judges saw. Then he takes out Mishima with a RNC, again fighting a smart fight. After that it was a three fight wining streak to get him to were he is now, Robinson, Thomas and Lauzon all fell to the guy.

compairing skills is fairly one sided as well, Kenflo is a great stand up fighter with sharp elbow and great Thai skills, his Jitsu is good as well and he is always in shape, if not looking like that kid from the simpsons Milhouse! Roger is a good stand up guy but his strengths and hard wired skills are wrestling. He throws leather well, but likes to clinch and take guys down.....like Rich Franklin will tell you DONT CLINCH WITH A THAI GUY!

I think that Roger is the face of MMA and the UFC has done a strange thing putting their prize poster boy agaisnt a guy that could maul him and probably will take him out. I just dont see unibrow...er Kenny being a great poster boy for the company when they have a guy like Huerta that makes the girls swoon!

My call, Kenny will kick Roger till he clinches, cut him with elbows and then submit him if the MD does not call the fight.

Even monkeys fall out of trees!
Kensei

Postby GrappleorWrestle » Fri May 30, 2008 6:47 am

Well Reymonde if you do read my posts I do talk about his heart and never give up attitude, so I do not think I underestimate him. I have stated many times Roger is one of my favorite fighters.

Anyways, Roger needs to stay away from the elbows and use his wrestling to keep it standing. I think his kickboxing is better than Kenny's, but I am still iffy on his clinch work against Kenny. I know Huerta has some great knees, but when in clinch you are in the range of Kenny's elbows.
Not to cross train cripples the martial arts, without it you can become a mechanic, but never an artist.
- E. Cates

Gold medals aren't really made of gold. They're made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts.
- Dan Gable
GrappleorWrestle
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby fightDR » Fri May 30, 2008 7:35 am

Man I love a divide on a close fight with 2 good fighters!!! LOL.
This really can go either way but if the fight stays standing which I think Huerta is capable of doing with his good wrestling, I don't see Kenflo winning. In fact I see him being stopped KO or TKO.

Kenny did the right thing a while back going to Thailand to work his stand up game. He has got those really nasty elbows but other than that I gotta say his strikes seem quite limited.
I can understand why he takes the fight to the ground and uses his BJJ he is a very smart fighter (like i have said many times I applaud a smart technical fighter) his sub skills are awesome. If he can't get Huerta to the ground he will be picked apart by a better striker.

Huerta is better on the ground than people realise, he also has a strength advantage over kenflo so even if it does go to the ground I think he can possible defend the subs attempts.

As I am more iof a Huerta fan than Kenflo I gotta go with him and prob being a little biast as I am willing him to win,. Its also that I think he has a more real chance of posing a threat to the title than Kenflo. he had his chance and IMO he got dominated by sherk, I want some fresh meat to have a run and Huerta is as good as they come in the LWs.
Love all mma, and big UFC fan but I do miss Pride.
Big Supporter or British MMA so a shout out to Micheal Bisbing, Paul Taylor and Dan Hardy who are representing well and makeing their mark in the UFC!!!
fightDR
Brown(3) Belt
Brown(3) Belt

Postby Kensei » Fri May 30, 2008 8:35 am

I dont know about that. I dont see him doing that well against Kenny and even if he eaks out a LAP win Penn would be crapping Huerta chunks for a month after eating him up. I would rather see Huerta fight Sherk first to see if he really gets a shot at the LW king.

Kensei

Postby qwerty » Fri May 30, 2008 8:37 am

Well, first off, I think Kenflo looks more like Ben Stiller than Milhouse :)

Secondly, FightDR, I don't believe Kenflo will try to take down Huerta. I think Kenflo will want this standing. If however, he is unsucessful, then yes, Kenflo will try to take Huerta down.
qwerty
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby fightDR » Fri May 30, 2008 8:51 am

qwerty wrote:Well, first off, I think Kenflo looks more like Ben Stiller than Milhouse :)

Secondly, FightDR, I don't believe Kenflo will try to take down Huerta. I think Kenflo will want this standing. If however, he is unsucessful, then yes, Kenflo will try to take Huerta down.

Now thats something I would love to see Kenflo wanting to keep this on the feet, I honestly haven't considered that possibility. That for me would be nuts, he is a BJJ black belt and his subs are his bread and butter. I think he has to go for the tokedowns and subs to win and being a smart guy I think thats exactly what he will try and do.
Big Supporter or British MMA so a shout out to Micheal Bisbing, Paul Taylor and Dan Hardy who are representing well and makeing their mark in the UFC!!!
fightDR
Brown(3) Belt
Brown(3) Belt

Postby GrappleorWrestle » Fri May 30, 2008 8:58 am

Huerta's sub defense is great. That's one of the reasons I say he is elusively slick. I wouldn't be surprised to see some Kenny trying to rock Huerta or have him thinking he will keep it standing until Huerta gets comfortable and them BAM! On the ground they wind up.
Not to cross train cripples the martial arts, without it you can become a mechanic, but never an artist.
- E. Cates

Gold medals aren't really made of gold. They're made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts.
- Dan Gable
GrappleorWrestle
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Kensei » Fri May 30, 2008 9:42 am

fightDR wrote:Now thats something I would love to see Kenflo wanting to keep this on the feet, I honestly haven't considered that possibility. That for me would be nuts, he is a BJJ black belt and his subs are his bread and butter. I think he has to go for the tokedowns and subs to win and being a smart guy I think thats exactly what he will try and do.

Not really, the part about KenFlo being a Sub only guy. Half of his fights have been by Md stoppage because of his elbows. The guy is a Thai fighter that has great elbows! I see him cutting up Huerta pretty bad!

Kensei

Postby fightDR » Fri May 30, 2008 9:56 am

Kensei wrote:
fightDR wrote:Now thats something I would love to see Kenflo wanting to keep this on the feet, I honestly haven't considered that possibility. That for me would be nuts, he is a BJJ black belt and his subs are his bread and butter. I think he has to go for the tokedowns and subs to win and being a smart guy I think thats exactly what he will try and do.

Not really, the part about KenFlo being a Sub only guy. Half of his fights have been by Md stoppage because of his elbows. The guy is a Thai fighter that has great elbows! I see him cutting up Huerta pretty bad!

Yes thats a good point and you are right. I have even said about how nasty his elbows are, even said about him going to thailand to better his Thai skills. It's just I still don't consider him a top stand up fighter, I really don't. His stand up is decent but not much more.
His subs are what makes him the fighter he is, his elbows are almost freakish, they just slice skin so bad.
fightDR
Brown(3) Belt
Brown(3) Belt

Postby Kensei » Fri May 30, 2008 10:02 am

Let it be said I DONT LIKE KENFLO at all, but even I (a ken flo hater if you will) think that Kenny is underrated and Roger is over rated!

Kensei

Postby GrappleorWrestle » Fri May 30, 2008 10:15 am

haha. i think roger may be overly hyped, but underrated.
- E. Cates

- Dan Gable
GrappleorWrestle
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby fightDR » Fri May 30, 2008 11:12 am

GrappleorWrestle wrote:haha. i think roger may be overly hyped, but underrated.

LOL, I couldn't have said it better myself. I don't think Kenflo is underated, he has proved he belongs and people have been taking notice. He has had a title shot and been giving good fighters to fight on main card shows too. He even helped comentate on a UFC with Goldie. Hardly hidden in a dark room is he...LOL.
fightDR
Brown(3) Belt
Brown(3) Belt

Postby qwerty » Fri May 30, 2008 12:47 pm

fightDR wrote:
GrappleorWrestle wrote:haha. i think roger may be overly hyped, but underrated.

LOL, I couldn't have said it better myself. I don't think Kenflo is underated, he has proved he belongs and people have been taking notice. He has had a title shot and been giving good fighters to fight on main card shows too. He even helped comentate on a UFC with Goldie. Hardly hidden in a dark room is he...LOL.

Yes, he also has an analyst position for ESPN MMA Live... Also, a lot of people doesn't know this, but he is also an excellent soccer player. It's why his muy thai kicks are so fast and hits hard. More the reason why I think he will keep this standing up. When is the fight anyways? LOL.
qwerty
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby fightDR » Fri May 30, 2008 11:59 pm

I actually didn't realise he did analys for ESPN, we don't get that here in the UK. Didn't know about him being a soccer player either and that something we do get here...ALOT...LOL
August 9th they get it on, lots of debating stioll to be done, LOL, Who would have guessed we would be talking bout this more than title fights that are much closer. Thats how good a fight i think this can be and how close it is also.
fightDR
Brown(3) Belt
Brown(3) Belt

Postby Psyhco-T » Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:58 pm

roger has the best stamina of any MMA guy in the business as long as he keeps distance and wears out his opponent he can not lose hes a great fighter though and will go at u no matter wat i like him
Psyhco-T
White Belt
White Belt

PreviousNext

Return to Fighters