Association Minnesota Martial Arts Academy
Height 5'6 (168cm)
Weight 155lbs (70kg)
Style Wrestling
Birth Date 8/5/1973
City Minneapolis
State Minnesota
Country USA

Sean Sherk (born August 5, 1973) is an American mixed martial artist. As of July 7, 2007, he holds a professional mixed martial arts record of 31-2-1. He has fought in both the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) and PRIDE Fighting Championships. He holds wins over Karo Parisyan, Hermes Franca, Kenny Florian and Nick Diaz.

Sherk became the UFC lightweight champion on October 14, 2006 at UFC 64. He was the second UFC lightweight champion, and was the first champion since the division's reinstatement in 2006. In December 2007, Sherk was officially stripped of the title after testing positive for steroids.

Sherk's next fight will be against B.J. Penn at UFC 84.
Not to cross train cripples the martial arts, without it you can become a mechanic, but never an artist.
- E. Cates

Gold medals aren't really made of gold. They're made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts.
- Dan Gable
GrappleorWrestle
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Master-Doug » Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:01 am

The Muscle Shark Sherk:
I think he is a good fighter and I really like the way he fights, an excellent wrestler and a good stricker.
Master-Doug
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Postby Kensei » Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:24 am

Wonder what is up next for the Muscle Shark? Now that he dropped his fight to Penn and looked pretty bad doing it!

I think he needs a fight with Huerta or Guida!

Even monkeys fall out of trees!
Kensei

Postby GrappleorWrestle » Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:11 am

Huerta has a title shot if wins against Kenflo. For Sherk it's back to the drawing board. I really do not think he can hang up with the new WW's so he has to fight his way back up the LW ladder.
Not to cross train cripples the martial arts, without it you can become a mechanic, but never an artist.
- E. Cates

Gold medals aren't really made of gold. They're made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts.
- Dan Gable
GrappleorWrestle
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby qwerty » Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:02 am

Sherk had a bad game plan when he fought Penn that or Penn just took him out of his element (but I doubt it). Sherk will stick around 155 - maybe he could be the gatekeeper to anyone who wants the belt - if that is the case, Penn might not have to fight for a very long time.
qwerty
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Kensei » Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:04 am

qwerty wrote:Sherk had a bad game plan when he fought Penn that or Penn just took him out of his element (but I doubt it). Sherk will stick around 155 - maybe he could be the gatekeeper to anyone who wants the belt - if that is the case, Penn might not have to fight for a very long time.

IF sherk learned from his mistake he will be back and a challenge at 155, maybe even go get his belt back again when Penn leaves. :wink:

Kensei

Postby qwerty » Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:28 am

Yes, he can only be a gatekeeper for so long, he would have to eventually fight Penn for the belt again.
qwerty
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby fightDR » Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:24 pm

Sherk will be a REAL hard fight for any LW out there in the UFC. I think he should have a fight against someone like guida (if not him) then a number 1 contenders fight against Gray Maynard, that would be a great fight and both men would be worthy of fighting BJ, Kenflo or Huerta.
Love all mma, and big UFC fan but I do miss Pride.
Big Supporter or British MMA so a shout out to Micheal Bisbing, Paul Taylor and Dan Hardy who are representing well and makeing their mark in the UFC!!!
fightDR
Brown(3) Belt
Brown(3) Belt

Postby Guillaume » Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:27 pm

Become the Rich Franklin of the LW division.
Guillaume
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Postby fightDR » Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:40 pm

I don't know so much, I really feel that he will get another shot at the strap either this year or prob early next year but would really like to see him fight Maynard next, that has fight of the night written all over it.
Big Supporter or British MMA so a shout out to Micheal Bisbing, Paul Taylor and Dan Hardy who are representing well and makeing their mark in the UFC!!!
fightDR
Brown(3) Belt
Brown(3) Belt

Postby Kensei » Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:45 pm

Guillaume wrote:Become the Rich Franklin of the LW division.

LMAO, no kidding. Always the bridesmaid never the bride!

Kensei

Postby fightDR » Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:18 pm

You guys don't really think Sherk is not gonna get another shot do you?

I don't see many LW's in the world beating him let alone many of the UFC guys. He is so strong and his wrestling top notch and with his frame it's so hard to sub him. For me he should get 1 more fight then if he wins it impressively he should get BJ again and i think it should be Maynard who he fights as he is on the up too.
fightDR
Brown(3) Belt
Brown(3) Belt

Postby Kensei » Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:22 pm

fightDR wrote:You guys don't really think Sherk is not gonna get another shot do you?

I don't see many LW's in the world beating him let alone many of the UFC guys. He is so strong and his wrestling top notch and with his frame it's so hard to sub him. For me he should get 1 more fight then if he wins it impressively he should get BJ again and i think it should be Maynard who he fights as he is on the up too.

The only reason I dont see it is his embarassing fall from grace. The guy was loved by the UFC and then he got piss tested and fell off the war wagon of the Zuffa boys.

I also think that his style has holes in it, yah to everything you said, but a great striker that has good ground skills to control the ground game will KILL him every time. He is a crap striker and basically drops guys with his wrestling then does a bit of GNP and tries to eak out a D. I think a guy like Joe stephenson would hurt him bad. Gray maybe, but he is kind of the same type of fighter. Actually that would be an interesting match up.

Kensei

Postby fightDR » Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:28 pm

Yeah it would be an intersting match up and so would sherk and Joe Daddy, although i think sherk would finish him on the ground with strikes. Joe has better subs for sure but Sherk is so hard to catch, he is so compact and strong. I dont think Stevenson would be able to stop the take down. neither of them are gonna KO the other though as even though Joe has beter stand up he isn't that prolific either.
Would be good to see both guys fighting someone the same height as them lol.
fightDR
Brown(3) Belt
Brown(3) Belt

Postby Kensei » Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:34 pm

fightDR wrote:Yeah it would be an intersting match up and so would sherk and Joe Daddy, although i think sherk would finish him on the ground with strikes. Joe has better subs for sure but Sherk is so hard to catch, he is so compact and strong. I dont think Stevenson would be able to stop the take down. neither of them are gonna KO the other though as even though Joe has beter stand up he isn't that prolific either.
Would be good to see both guys fighting someone the same height as them lol.

Joe is also a golden gloves boxer that can nail you like a small pickup truck. I think he could pretty much own sean on the stand up and sub him.

Kensei

Next

Return to Fighters