Login Sign Up

So I went to my first BJJ class...

Moderator: Forum Moderators

So I went to my first BJJ class...

Postby Asa87 » Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:18 pm

Just thought I'd let you guys know how my first BJJ class went. A few of you will know that I'm hardcore muay thai but I decided to give it a break just now and focus on BJJ for a year or so. So i'm at home icing my face after my first class! I was rolling with a guy and as he tried to pull his leg over my shoulder for triangle he smashed under my eye with his knee... Nice start!

It was really cool though, today they brought in a Judo Gold Medalist who went through a bunch of takedowns with us, correct break falls and landing in control after a throw (so you're effectively passing the gaurd from standing. So that was neat. Then we just did some free rolling for a while, they paired a few of us new guys together to roll with - there were some who had been going a few weeks, some a few days and I managed to pull out a few subs, think I'm a little over-eager and go harder than I should.

It was a good class but I doubt my boss will be happy once I turn up to work with a black eye!
"Simplicity is the key to brilliance" - Bruce Lee

"Imagination is more important than knowledge" - Albert Einstein
Asa87
Red Belt
Red Belt

Re: So I went to my first BJJ class...

Postby Kensei » Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:42 pm

Tell him your old lady punched you....he wont ask anything after that.

Even monkeys fall out of trees!
Kensei

Postby Asa87 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:57 am

Kensei is that a judo competition in your picture? The guy that was there last night showed us some big throws like that, I couldn't really do them well though.

Asa87
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby Kensei » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:58 am

Asa87 wrote:Kensei is that a judo competition in your picture? The guy that was there last night showed us some big throws like that, I couldn't really do them well though.

No that is a Demo that Tanaka Sensei did in Japan years ago. The guy went running at him full tilt and was told to punch Tanaka in the face no matter what. They are a bit crazy over their and he ran at tanaka. Tanaka kicked him in the face and KO'd the guy and then lifted him up while two others ran at him. That is just after he kicked both of the other guys he spun around with this guy in the air....it was crazy!

Kensei

Postby Kensei » Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:05 am

Shadow wrote:Asa87: I too am very much so into MT. Also like you I have just started jujitsu...a little over a month in myself. The hardest thing for me is learning how to fall right and maybe there rolls (which are different from those in the Kempo I learned way back when). The side fall and face fall were especially hard to learn. How'd you do in these? In BJJ do they start you of sparring, or were those just some real intense drills? Sparring has not even been mentioned where I am at, and I don't even want to mention knowing I don't know enough to spar (at least, not using only jujitsu).

So most of you know I did Judo up to Shodan and years of Sombo as a kid, a bit of wrestling growing up and of course 30+ years of Karate....well I started doing BJJ with some guys a few week ends ago. Just on Sundays and the guy teaching is a young Purple belt. The rest of us are white belts...I am of course the New "Old guy" in class.

My first day in the group I felt like I could handle the work outs and probably sub a few guys...yah, the work out is so different than Karate that I found a half hour in I was exhausted! Continuously grapping and working drills is hard, when you are doing Karate you have only your body weight and you are standing...mostly. But supporting another guys weight and trying to move them around ext is hard. Then the subbing part...yah, not so much. During drills I did okay, picked up alot of neat stuff, but it was SO different than Judo and Sambo!

When we did the 15 minutes of free rolling I had just enough energy to go for one Ankle lock, which I was told later they dont teach much of and kind of dont like seeing white belts slapping on a scary sub like that....yah, then I was subbed out repeatedly for the next 12 minutes...arm bars, Triangles that I never saw coming, Guillotines, some kind of weird ass arm triangle that I basically did not see coming till the stars started to shine in my mind! I almost passed out twice and even fell like a rookie grappler twice which hurt my bad shoulder.

And I loved it! Granted when I taught Karate on Monday I felt like I needed a shot of Pain killer in the ass before class, but it was fun. Anyone else have a REALLY sore back after their first few classes?

Kensei

Postby Asa87 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:47 am

Yea it's damn tiring, I was gassed out! and I thought it would be easy compared to 90 minutes on heavy bags and thai pads... and in the morning I had sore butt cheeks.

Asa87
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby Kensei » Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:22 am

Asa87 wrote:Yea it's damn tiring, I was gassed out! and I thought it would be easy compared to 90 minutes on heavy bags and thai pads... and in the morning I had sore butt cheeks.

You said "Jiu Jitsu" right...not prison :shock:

Just kidding...I know what you mean. My back was killing me!

Kensei

Postby qwerty » Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:30 am

ROFL nice one Kensei - Asa, I don't want to know what kind of submission move they put on you to get a sore ass!
qwerty
Black Belt
Black Belt

Return to BJJ, Judo, Submission Wrestling & Wrestling