Login Sign Up

striking train?

striking train?

Postby khazar » Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:56 pm

hi!i was just wondering about 1 thing...i do grappling and i may need to complete it, but then ive though: i dont need to go "learn" muay thai or kickboxing do i?its just watch like 5 moves, train them agains a sand bag or somethin, and then get ur muscles stronger.like, theres no theory, almos no technique.am i right or am i just saying bulls**t?i really need an answers, coz if i dont need to really "learn", i wont need to be paying that, and just train in that hours.thankfull for everything, i wait an answer.bye
do it or don´t do it, there is no try...
khazar
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby JimmysEgo » Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:23 am

if you learn the correct way from a good instructor then he can add speed and power to your strikes. if you learn wrong then you will not maximize the technique and pick up bad habits that will be tough to break when you decide you need to learn correctly.
JimmysEgo
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby JimmysEgo » Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:25 am

and also, something even more important than stand up punching is stand up defense, which you cant learn just by punching the bag for hours and hours.
JimmysEgo
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby Asa87 » Wed May 23, 2007 12:35 pm

there is alot of technique to muay thai, sure you can kick a pad/bag and keep your hands up etc. but there is alot of pivot and hip movement to get momentum into your kick and make it alot harder!! same with every limb strike.
"Simplicity is the key to brilliance" - Bruce Lee

"Imagination is more important than knowledge" - Albert Einstein
Asa87
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby Tdub » Wed May 23, 2007 2:35 pm

Also by just punching a bag you are not simulating a real fight at all, so when the time comes you might be able to punch (probably not correctly) but when someone unloads on you then your gonna have problems
Tdub
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby Asa87 » Thu May 24, 2007 3:33 am

yea i agree with most comments in this thread, go to a muay thai class. You will enjoy and will learn the many techniques, also like T said you'll learn to block and take hits aswell.
"Simplicity is the key to brilliance" - Bruce Lee

"Imagination is more important than knowledge" - Albert Einstein
Asa87
Red Belt
Red Belt

Re: striking train?

Postby corvo » Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:52 pm

khazar wrote:hi!i was just wondering about 1 thing...i do grappling and i may need to complete it, but then ive though: i dont need to go "learn" muay thai or kickboxing do i?its just watch like 5 moves, train them agains a sand bag or somethin, and then get ur muscles stronger.like, theres no theory, almos no technique.am i right or am i just saying bulls**t?i really need an answers, coz if i dont need to really "learn", i wont need to be paying that, and just train in that hours.thankfull for everything, i wait an answer.bye

I think you would waste alot of time and money to train at all. you might be better off, in not training in any one style, go all out free style, and hope for the best. That way you would become a real street fighter!

Voce no tien nada! Voce e um fantasma!
to each, his own
corvo
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

re

Postby khazar » Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:29 am

no tiengo nada? geez im portuguese not spanish, allthough i can understand it...so ive seen by ur comments (wich i really appreciated:D) that muay thai needs training so thats clear to me now...about what corvo said, u mean i should just learn one or that i should be a street-fighter (wich i gotta say i dont agree at all, even more after reading these posts).i do BJJ, and i like the effectivness of the techniques, but i dont like them.i dnt like fighting in that way, i would like something more brutal, violent, more street-like.i do bjj for like 3 months and my evolution was quite good.should i stiick with it and go to a gym or somethin fight, or should i go for muay thai?a gym near my house enfases(spelled right?) a lot of competition so it sholud be good...i would also love to feel some adrenaline and , get git and be real angry and just fight(adrenaline basically, i felt it like 5 months ago and really wanted to feel it again, thtas why i started BJJ) but in BJJ i dont fell any adrenaline, coz its a lor more contoroled...what to do?help plz and thanks
do it or don´t do it, there is no try...
khazar
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby donovan99 » Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:11 am

Yes, try going to gym that teaches both! There are a few places here in Jersey that teach 1hr Muay Thai & 1 hr BJJ right after. Since BJJ is not as intense workout as MT it works out well. Even tho you are tired after Muay Thai you can still do BJJ because its mainly on the floor.
donovan99
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Postby Gurre » Thu Jun 14, 2007 3:40 pm

well if I was you I'd do muay thai. But there's alot of technique to it though my friend. Takes alot of hard work to get good at striking, same as grappling!
Gurre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Minatour » Sun Oct 28, 2007 11:03 am

Lol, mate you cant master muay thai by watching techniques and hitting a bag
Minatour
Green Belt
Green Belt

Return to Boxing, Kickboxing & Muay Thai