Login Sign Up

Submission holds

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Submission holds

Postby Mlim » Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:05 am

Am I correct in that the following is true:
Joint-locks cause pain to the one whose joint is locked and that if not stopped it will break his joint.

From other sources which I believe to be wrong it is written as if pain submission holds are different from joint lock submissions. It was also written that joint-locks break bones.

I would appreciate any information you may have on the subject. :)
Mlim
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Re: Submission holds

Postby Kensei » Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:13 am

Joint locks can break bone, but it is normally due to the connective tissue being stretched and pulling the bone appart, or bone on bone being forced together...but you are right normally joint injuries are to the CT or Joint Capsule...and extension of said CT.

Pain holds are different, a pain hold may involve a muscle crush or nerve crush. Like putting your Shin or forearm into a muscle belly (calf) and causing it to be "crushed", or working on the ulner nerve.

Joint locks dont always hurt until they do damage. The heel hook is a good example, you can slap a heel hook on someone and it does not hurt at all then....POP...and friggin hell does it hurt then!

Even monkeys fall out of trees!
Kensei

Postby Mlim » Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:38 am

Thanks a lot for your information.
Mlim
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Postby Mlim » Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:42 am

So joint locks cause pain and injure joint of opponent?
Have I understood right in that joint lock on opponent can break his joint (I do not mean his bone)? By joint is ligament and tendon meant?
Mlim
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Postby GrappleorWrestle » Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:13 am

Yes, you can do major damage to your ligaments and tendons. Like Kensei said about the ankle hook. I had a guy in class with an inverted ankle hook and he said he would never tap from an ankle lock, so I just went a tad further and it went snap, crackle, pop and tore 6 kinds of crap.
Not to cross train cripples the martial arts, without it you can become a mechanic, but never an artist.
- E. Cates

Gold medals aren't really made of gold. They're made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts.
- Dan Gable
GrappleorWrestle
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Kensei » Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:37 pm

GrappleorWrestle wrote:Yes, you can do major damage to your ligaments and tendons. Like Kensei said about the ankle hook. I had a guy in class with an inverted ankle hook and he said he would never tap from an ankle lock, so I just went a tad further and it went snap, crackle, pop and tore 6 kinds of crap.

Friggin sucks eh! I told every one to tap when I had it secured, they did not...and limped for a month or so!

Kensei

Postby Gurre » Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:57 am

GrappleorWrestle wrote:Yes, you can do major damage to your ligaments and tendons. Like Kensei said about the ankle hook. I had a guy in class with an inverted ankle hook and he said he would never tap from an ankle lock, so I just went a tad further and it went snap, crackle, pop and tore 6 kinds of crap.

LMAO "tore 6 kinds of crap" hilarious
Gurre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Mlim » Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:14 am

Thanks for your inputs.
Mlim
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Postby Kensei » Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:18 pm

Some joint locks are alot more scary than others. I will put this one into a longer story, but when I was 18 I was a Shodan in Judo and we did alot of Ne-Waza and I also had a bout ten years of Sambo under me, I had a "party" at my house and we got to rolling and I ended up hurting like ten guys from Judo.....my Sensei was so pissed!

Kensei

Postby Mlim » Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:11 am

Interesting :)
Mlim
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Return to BJJ, Judo, Submission Wrestling & Wrestling